Grooming with anesthesia

candy722

I took my bf's sister's yorkie to the groomer and they recommended that we give him anesthesia before taking him in to groom because he is really difficult. What do you guys think about this?

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
this is why i groom my own dogs who know else they do to them dont do i would never! why would you put your dog at risk do you know how many does die under anestheia never never never id rather me mess up there hair a couple times

Blondie

Try to find another person to do the grooming, ask somewhere else if they need to give him anesthesia. I've heard of people who've had traumatic experiences with that, but Blondie, being a cocker and so nervous and reluctant to stay around strangers has been groomed twice and he's never been given anesthesia.

I think you should ask for a second or third opinion, and if everybody agrees because your dog's too nervous and won't cooperate, then I think it's up to you if you want to have him go through that to look nice, or maybe you can try to teach yourself some grooming skills? ;)

Saje

Island dweller
I agree as well, with everyone, there really is no reason. It's not that hard to learn yourself or shop around for someone you're really comfortable with. It should be like a doc/vet/gyno(sorry guys). You need to find someone you trust. This is your baby. And if it's a matter of expense think about the cost of a vet bill if something goes wrong.

Good luck
Saje

Anesthesia is too hard on a dog to use it for something like grooming. And come on - he's a Yorkie! Do you really want to trust your dog to someone who can't handle a Yorkie?

iky

i wouldnt even think of going back to that groomer, anesthesia for a yorkie? no ways, thats way to harsh. I have heard bad things about groomers, and have to yet still find one that i will be willing to leave Codi with. Try getting a groomer that works maybe from the house, where you can sit and wait or even if your pup is difficult, be with there and help the groomer.

Blondie

Groomers are really a nasty problem here. I've been trying to find a decent one for a whole year, and I'm surely not going to take Blondie again to the one who has groomed him twice.

First I wanted someone to come to our house to do the grooming, but my mother thought it was a little too much for him, because this is his sanctuary, you know. It shouldn't be broken into by a stranger who does "traumatic" things to him :p

Then I asked if I could stay with the pup while he's been groomed, but they said dogs get more nervous if the owner is around, and won't cooperate and I think that's understandable.

BUT the last time I took Blondie there, I asked a special favor, which was, I didn't want him to have any contact with other dogs (he has erhlichia canis and even though he's recovering, he can't be exposed to ticks) and the vet knows that, so he said okay, he'd be the first on the list. But to my surprise, he wasn't the _first_, there was another dog inside when I gave them Blondie (of course I didn't know that or I wouldn't have had him stay) and when the doggie came out, he was full of ticks. You can imagine my desperation, and frustration, and anger!!!

I'm sorry this became a long post, but my point here is, you can't ever be too careful when it comes to the little ones. Ask for a second, or third opinion, and if you don't like something, tell them you don't. You're the customer, the doggie's owner, and ultimately, the one who's the most interested about his well being. :)

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
theres a place by me that just open they have a viewing window like the police stations where they cant see you but you can see them i dont bring my dogs to a groomer i learn to do it my self but you should find a place like that they have coffee while you wait and stuff like that pretty cool :) ill find the website so you can see if there one by you

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
i got the number you can call them and ask if they have other places or mabee they have family that have other places
its called Christina's Pet Styles
Contact Info:
(718) 980-7387

i dont know how well they groom i just went it and checked them out someone was passing by and they saw us looking and they said it was a good place but how can you go wrong with a viewing window :)

Renee750il said:
Anesthesia is too hard on a dog to use it for something like grooming. And come on - he's a Yorkie! Do you really want to trust your dog to someone who can't handle a Yorkie?
I was thinking it would be OK thinking from a horsey perspective. I know lots of people that sedate their horses to be clipped but after reading your post it was a bit of a wake up call!! Horses are just slightly stronger and they really need clipping. So yeah, I take that back!! ;)

candy722

Well Eddy was groomed at some vet place and I could tell they messed up his hair in the face so Im guessing he moved alot. The second place that I took Eddy is the same grooming that I take my Toki. I really like the way they handled Toki and the hair style so I decided to take Eddy there. I guess Eddy was too much for them to handle but Im gonna try finding somewhere else for Eddy since his really difficult. I think giving a small dog anesthesia is so wrong just for grooming purposes. I really think Eddy is very difficult because just myself trying to touch his face he keeps on moving so I never ever get to touch his face hair. But that is my BF's sister's dog so if she doesn't want to train her dog or if she feels confortable babying her Eddy like that she's gonna suffer later on with his bad habbits.

Members online

No members online now.