Essential Oil for Ticks?

GoingNowhere

Someone posted way way way back about a particularly good topical essential oil to repel ticks. Does anyone know (or have recommendations)? Someone at a meeting that I was at tonight mentioned using cedar oil or rosemary - does anyone have experience with either?

I'm not talking about a substitute to flea/tick preventative, but rather something that can be applied before hikes and such as an added repellent.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I like peppermint oil, which I know is one noted for being good at repelling insects. I don't use a flea/tick preventative on my dogs, rather, I make my own spray with equal parts water and apple cider vinegar, with a few drops of peppermint oil (nothing exact - I just add until it smells really minty lol). None of my dogs have ever picked up a tick while we've been using this, so it seems to be doing the job.

I also have a separate spray bottle with just water + a few drops of peppermint oil that I spray around the baseboards and nooks and crannies in my bedroom to repel spiders :p And it seems to be working for that, too!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Rose geranium oil is famous for repelling ticks. It's what we use, and I can't remember the last time I pulled a tick off anyone.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Just wondering about using the oil for ticks. Will it work against the ticks that carry lyme disease?

GoingNowhere

Ah thanks! I think that rose geranium oil was the one that I'd heard before.

And Barb, yep - at least that was what I was intending to ask in my first question!

I've found that garlic powder and water spritzed on legs can help too, but oh god it smells whole family of italians farted simultaneously in my car. I was hoping for something at least as effective and hopefully slightly more pleasant on the nose. :p (and I do love the smell of roasting garlic... but there comes a point when anything is too much!)

Members online