Craigslist dogs

JacksonsMom

Anyone ever got a rehome from craigslist?

I know me, and I probably won't do this... here I am totally set on a Border Terrier puppy and I see this little guy on craigslist not too far from me.

I mean, that face. Just tugged at my heart strings. So, of course, naturally I send an email. Thinking they won't respond, he's not available, etc. He's available. He's a 1 year old yorkie mix. A lot of energy, apparently good with kids. She's "moving and can't take with me" (which is what I so often see on CL). Not sure on if he's fixed yet or not. She said she was gonna call. Don't know what she's going to ask for a re-homing fee yet either.

I most likely won't do this, lol... but HAS anyone got a dog from CL or something like it before? I'm always so paranoid that they're giving the dog away because it's unhealthy, or marks all over the place, or something of the sort. I don't know what I'd do if I got a dog and then it had like $1000's worth of medical stuff to be taken care of, or a problem, or is that being dramatic? Maybe it is just someone who is needing a new home for their dog... lol.

Just wondering if anyone else had ever gotten a CL dog, etc, and how it went I guess.

NOT saying I'm doing this... *tells myself not doing this and I NEED my BT puppy*

milos_mommy

I found a home for one of my fosters via facebook, and he was a good dog, and got a great home.

I also know quite a few dogs belonging to friends and clients who were craigslist rehomes. As far as I know none of them have any major issues, at all.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I haven't gotten a dog off Craigslist but I seem to remember several people in my Petfinder poll thread had done so...could check there?

Craigslist is evil :( We have ACD pups on it all the time here and they are painfully cute puppies.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I have had a couple people in my classes who got their dog off craigslist. Nobody has had any significant issues with them more so than my students with shelter dogs. One dog turned up hip dysplasia after several months, but IMO the breeder didn't know that (she was given away for a different reason.) I had a three year old dog in class the other night who isn't potty trained, that was a shelter dog.
I think it just depends... I know shelters aren't always 100% upfront and honest about issues either...

aaaaand that's all I have to add LOL. Not telling you to get the dog or not...
BUT HE TOTALLY MATCHES.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
One question I would want answered is: Are they rehoming both dogs in the picture or just the one? If just the one, then why that one?

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Arson is a kijiji rehome.. (more popular here than CL). I emailed thinking I'd never get a reply...

JacksonsMom

I have had a couple people in my classes who got their dog off craigslist. Nobody has had any significant issues with them more so than my students with shelter dogs. One dog turned up hip dysplasia after several months, but IMO the breeder didn't know that (she was given away for a different reason.) I had a three year old dog in class the other night who isn't potty trained, that was a shelter dog.
I think it just depends... I know shelters aren't always 100% upfront and honest about issues either...

aaaaand that's all I have to add LOL. Not telling you to get the dog or not...
BUT HE TOTALLY MATCHES.

Yeah, that's what I worry about. I have a friend who just adopted her second dog and the shelter/rescue was a bit less than honest in describing her. She's suppperrr high energy (way more so than they said) and has a bit of a 'dominant' (I hate that word) personality. They claimed she was real submissive, etc. I know dogs change from shelter life to home, but yeah. I guess I'm just worried about getting a dog and being all "oh sh*t, what did I do?!" whereas I feel more comfortable, in a lot of ways, getting a puppy from a breeder and meeting the parents. I'm not sure but I think Jackson would be better with a puppy, but then again, I could be totally wrong. I just don't really know. I love puppies, but I often think do I really want to put myself through that again... LOL

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Riff was a CL dog! It was a little different because I had posted a wanted ad, and they responded to it - he was never actually posted on the site. But, it's close enough!

So far he's been pretty much what they told me. High energy, good with other dogs (albeit a little awkward at times), house trained, crate trained at night, pretty healthy. They were giving him up because he was persistently pestering their older dog and it was too stressful for him. Seeing how he is with Rowan, I totally believe that; he's VERY excitable and fairly rude about asking for attention but Rowan is young and willing/able to correct him so it hasn't been a big problem for us. I didn't know that he has a little issue with submissive/excitement urination (not huge, he's only done it a couple of times) but that's also not something I specifically asked about, you know? It's possible he didn't even do it with them and it came on with the stress of switching homes.

Granted he's been here less than a month still, but so far my experience has been good.

Not a dog, just 4 sheep from Craigslist. It was my mother's idea, because she really wanted Shetlands, this guy had one available for less as long as it was agreed upon he WASN'T to be food, that is Nigel, and was Larry (he died during his castration :( ). Ebbie and Loo also came from someone who posted on Craigslist, EXQUISITE fleeces, but Ebbie is still wild poor girl. Wilma and Weena, the twins, came from the sheepie equivalent of a "responsible breeder" on the other hand. But overall our craiglist experiences there weren't really bad. But no, I have not dealt with anything like this for a dog, my childhood companion did come from an add in the paper, local family who had a litter of puppies.

Aleron

Roust is a CL dog:

This is him the day I got him:

He's a wonderful dog in every way...except being touched by strangers. But I knew that when I took him.

People give their dogs up for all sorts of reasons, so I don't think there is any reason to assume that if a dog is on CL it has major issues. It's not uncommon at all for people with more than one dog to give up just one of them either. When I did behavior night at the local shelter, I'd get people in who had called wanting to surrender their dog but were willing to come for free behavior counseling. The majority of issues these people were considering giving their dogs up for were really minor and would be non-issues for any dog knowledgeable owners. Stuff like stealing food (including a dog who...of all things stole a hotdog off of a child at a picnic! the horror!), jumping up, chewing when left alone, "every time I take his leash off he runs away", ______________insert various issues associated with lack of management or any attempt at training. There were a few dogs who had more serious problems like a couple with severe separation anxiety or more serious resource guarding but TBH those were few and far between.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
We got our shih-tzu, Zoey from Craigslist. Wasn't anything but what was advertised. A young shih-tzu, I believe she was 8 months? She was a Christmas gift I believe and when the kids went back to school and the mom's hours changed drastically at her job, they decided to rehome her because she was being crated for a REALLY long time during the day. She wasn't housebroken, but we knew that, and we later found out she wasn't good with other dogs, so we ended up having to rehome her as well. But she was a great dog, sooo sweet and loving, she just didn't get along with our Yorkies. We actually discovered later that we don't think she was starting the fights (because Dixie and Lucy ended up fighting each other) but she was much bigger than them and there was blood drawn a few times, and so it just didn't work out. I miss her though, even though she was stubborn as could be, and STILL wasn't potty trained when we rehomed her.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Ozzy was out of the paper as a puppy being given away with the rest of his litter. Enzo was posted on CL, but by some friends of the family. I didn't know she was on CL until after I'd gotten her from them.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
I got Saxon off of an online classified called Uncle Henry's that is pretty much the same thing as CL. Saxon is the best dog in the world. :)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
People give their dogs up for all sorts of reasons, so I don't think there is any reason to assume that if a dog is on CL it has major issues.
Yes. Shamoo is off CL, her owner left her with a pet sitter and the owner unfortunately went into hospice. The pet sitter couldn't keep her and she needed somewhere to go. I agreed to take her and help find her a home and the rest is history.

Grab

Nog is a CL dog. His owners were rehoming two cats, a Poodle and Nog because a grandchild was allergic.

ETA: he has no issues. I don't think a CL animal is any more likely to have an issue than a dog from a shelter.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Mitsu was a Kijiji re-home. I in no way regret it. I saw her picture and it just instantly drew me in. I knew I needed this dog and after seeing her I knew I could not leave her. She was malnutrition, When I saw her I instantly knew she had health issues, especially with her breathing. And after realizing the health issues she had once I took her to the vet I knew that I did the right thing in taking her and after we lost her I knew that there was NO way someone else was able to give her the life Tyler and I gave her.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't really see getting a dog off CL any different from getting a dog from a shelter.

If I were looking for a dog, and found one on CL that seemed like a good fit... I wouldn't have any hesitations with it. Aside from ya know, the normal paranoia about the ad being posted by a crazy person. :eek:

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Joey was on Craigslist. Original owner was getting divorced and gave him to a friend who thought he was too much dog to handle so onto Craigslist he went. Sooo glad I was the one that found him on Craigslist. I originally was pulling him for Ibizan Rescue and they were lining up a foster home for him, but then I decided I absolutely adored him and wanted to keep him. I talked to the rescue and since I had paid the fee to get him from the people that put him on Craigslist, I was told I could keep him if I wanted to and if not they had a foster willing to take him.

He was pretty thin even by sighthound standards and he has a slightly sensitive tummy sometimes, but other than that he was actually really well socialized and very friendly.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
DO IT ! , THAT LITTLE FACE NEEEEEDDDDDDSDSDSDSDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU AND JACKSON!

UMM , I mean yes , i have a pair of parakeets off of craigslist. I have helped rehome the pug mixes for my friend son craigslist. Thats a puppy , cant have had to many bad habits. hehehe4

Staff online

Members online