Rottweilers

TahlzK

Rottweilers have always been a favorite breed of mine, next to the SBT and a Red Heeler. One day, I'd like to own when, I move out of home. Though, I still want the above two dogs before getting a Rottweiler.

I'd just like to hear peoples personal experience with the breed if anyone has some? Photos are a great thing if included.

I still have a lot to learn about Red Heelers but I'd also love to learn more about Rottweilers. I know they are a strong breed and I need to be a much better handler before I ever decided to own one but it's way down the track before I get another dog! It's just my two, mostly behaved mutts for a while.

Thanks!

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
I have a Rottweiler! Meet Clyde:

He's my first Rottweiler as an adult. My parents had Rotties when I was a kid, and I've loved the breed my whole life.

I do think it takes a particular owner to own a Rottweiler, mostly because of what the media has done to the breed's reputation. I personally wanted to train my dog to be friendly and trustworthy in public, and I did so; he has his CGC and is a registered therapy dog, and I've also gotten his RN. To this day, I have people ask me if he is vicious or if I am afraid he'll turn on me... when I'm out with him on a therapy visit! :mad:

Clyde was a definitely a harder dog to train than what I was used to, but he wasn't impossible. If you do decide that a Rottie is the breed for you, I urge you to check the ARC for reputable breeders, or look for a reputable rescue in your area.

I barely skimmed the surface here, but hopefully there was some insight. Let me know if you have further, or more specific, questions. :)

K

Kaydee

Like owning a pittie it takes experience, physical, and emotional strength to love a rottie. But when ya get it all figured out you have absolutely one of the most devoted breeds on the planet!

JacksonsMom

I helped to "raise" a Rottie, sort of. I was dogsat for one 5 days a week from 8 weeks old old to 2 years old.

First of all, I loved him, and I miss him greatly. Going to set up a visit soon to see him again.

Even as a pup, he showed his stubbornness. He could be fairly stubborn when he wanted to be. He likes things his way. LOL. I wouldn't say SUPER easy to train or anything, but definitely willing and able. He enjoyed learning with the bits that I did with him. I had to teach him how to walk on a leash and it took us a long time. He very much did not want that thing attached to him, LOL. So we spent a lot of time with him dragging it and eventually he caught on.

He loooveeddd to give big bear hugs. He did not like strangers as he got older, but you had to earn his trust, and I have no doubt that he would have protected me if anything were to have come up. On our walks, he always had his eye on anything new going on, and would occasionally check behind us.

He loved to play fetch, and would completely wear himself out (I used a ChuckIt to throw him the ball and he would run at full speed). He was really good with Jackson. He knew how to be gentle, even at a young age and when he was pretty big. But they grew up together. He did have some food aggression/resource guarding issues, so I was extremely cautious with them in the house together. But out in the open, at the dog park, they were absolutely fine, or on leashed walks.

His shedding seemed minimal to me, though I've heard they shed a lot. He did have a few health problems, I know he had an elbow problem, which I think they determined was the beginning stages of elbow displaysia. With crate rest and some supplements, they seemed to get it under control (he had limped for a bit there). I know they have short-ish life spans in general.

Overall, I really really loved that dog, but I'm not sure they would be a breed for ME personally.

Oh and photos (he had his natural tail, too)

I find this description pretty accurate of him:

The Rottweiler is loyal, self-confident, calm, courageous, independent, wary, and protective. He's an instinctive guardian known as the world's best guard dog. He's tough, strong, and powerful and possesses a lot of endurance. He's territorial and protective of his home and family. He does not make indiscriminate friendships with strangers. He's cautious, watchful and aloof with strangers until he's properly introduced to them. He can be aggressive with others dogs, so you'll have to keep an eye on him because the other dog could be injured. He thrives on your companionship and wants to be around you always. He's fond of children and protective of them. He's extremely intelligent and learns very quickly. He can be quite a clown around his family, which can be entertaining to watch. While he makes an excellent guard dog he isn't the best watchdog because he may not bark much. There are many other breeds which make better watchdogs.

2nd2none

i got my 1st rott back in 86. they weren't a really "well known" breed back then. i found the above quote to be pretty much spot-on, in terms of their description. I owned/raised the breed for 15 years and still absolutely LOVE them. If i ever get out of APBT's, they'll be a breed i will definitly go back to. no doubt the media has played its part in negatively portraying them, but with a firm hand and consistent training imo, they're an awesome breed. each dog (as in all breeds) varied in their temperments, but over all i think they make great, tho protective family pets.
and they "ain't too hard on the eyes, either! ;)
my last male=Kaiser, tipping the scales at 125-130 lbs~who lived to be 11+ yrs
[/IMG]

Cthulhu7

Mitch & Erin
My aunt had a beautiful Rottie named Rio. I fell in love with her so fast, she was the sweetest dog ever. She would run up and put her Kong at your feet, all slobbery, and then sit and nose your leg so you'd throw it.

The only thing that I worry about with Rotties is Arthritis. Rio had it bad, to the point that we couldn't throw her Kong anymore because she'd run regardless of the consequences to her legs. She suffered through it for about 7 years before she passed away. I hear it's a common thing for Rotties, and is probably the only reason I wouldn't get one.

Members online

No members online now.