I hope nobody has a telemarketer job here, but here goes nothin'...

Doberluv

I hate to be rude to telemarketers, but I don't want to listen to them. What can I say? They often mumble as though they have a full mouth of Cream of Wheat...and they try to get their whole 2 pages they're usually reading behind them as fast as a jet can fly to Chicago. And not only that....even if they didn't, I still don't want to listen to them. They might get me to buy something. :p No, those calls (not the people personally) are really annoying, especially when you're right in the middle of something important, like cooking or eating or watching your favorite show. They always seem to call at the most inopportune moments, not that there is any opportune time. I've even had them call as early as 8:00 in the morning! The nerve, waking people up like that. They don't know that I'm up by 5:30 or 6. lol.

So, I don't exactly want to be rude so I usually say something like, "Not interested, thanks anyway." And then I just hang up. I cut them off with that because I know that letting them insert one single word will be the end of my freedom. I'll be chained. My mother does that...gets all engaged, stands there and listens to them pressure her and I tell her to just hang up. She doesn't want to be rude either.

What do you do? I've heard some really funny stories. My sister-in-law's father says, "Just a minute, I'll get the lady of the house." And then he just sets the phone down for a looooooooooooooooooooong time. LOL.

What about saying "hello" like you always do when you answer the phone and when you can tell it's a tellemarketer starting the schpiel (sp?) you just continue as though it's a recorded message. "You have reached so and so. Please leave a message after the tone." Of course, then you'd have to make a tone of some kind. It probably wouldn't sound very electronic if you use your own voice.

So, let's hear it... what kinds of stories do you have of you or someone else of how they handle these kinds of calls? I know I've heard of some other funny ones...just can't think of them now.

In all fairness...poor souls. Nobody likes these calls. At least I don't think so. And they're just trying to do their job. I use to make cold calls when I was in real estate and I also sold newspapers door to door. So, I know how painful it can be. The door to door wasn't as bad. I sold loads of papers for the Seattle Times years ago...made a ton of money and got a promotion to sales trainer and got awards for top sales person of all the offices of the Seattle Times. :p
I don't know how I did it. But I did. lol. I just turned on the charming me I guess. :rofl1:

I just quickly interrupt them saying, "Sorry, not interested. Please remove my number from your company's call list. Thank you" and hang up.

Now if it is one of those automatic dialers where there is no one there when you answer because there is no rep available for the call yet I just set the phone down and let them waste some money paying for a call.

Lyzelle

I'm pretty much always rude to them, unless I happen to get a polite person. They're always pushy, annoying, condescending type of people. I had one call me at 9pm once. I lost it. One of those, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" type of moments where you actually manage to get them to shut their mouths. I do the same to the ones that come to the door, religious or otherwise.

I can't stand it. You tell them, NO, and they come right back and ignore what you say, completely rude. There's really little option but to be rude with them as well, whether it's being short or simply hanging up.

I've had the one or two that stops and says, "Thank you for your time, here's our information if you're interested in the future" and politely hangs up. But they only occur once in a blue moon, when there also happens to be a lunar eclipse.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I used to have a Toy Story Woody doll for exactly this occassion. Cause I bet they aren't expecting "There's a SNAKE in my BOOTS!" on the other end :p

Then I hang up.

LindaJD

I especially hate when they call my cell phone. I have only given my number out to my immediate family and I still get at least 2 telemarketer calls a day. I just got one the other day to lower my interest rate, to talk to a rep press 1. When she picked up I told her to stop calling my cell phone and she said f*** you and hung up. I reported that number to the donot call list but I have reported many numbers and I don't think they do anything.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Someone called my cell and asked to speak to me. I asked him what it was in connection with. He asked to speak to me again. I asked in connection with again. Back and forth until he told me to go f@*k myself and hung up. WTH is wrong with these people??

ACooper

I used to be quite nice, listen to their deal and tell them no thanks. I got tired of doing that when they wouldn't take no for an answer. I understand that they are doing their job........they have to push to get it done, but I don't want to be pushed.

Now we have caller id, if the number is unknown to me I let the voice mail get it. On the off chance I grab the phone in a hurry (or the kids grab it then hand it over :rolleyes: ) as soon as I know it's marketing, I quietly hang up. No delays.......I just hang up.

My brother always asks <in his best business like voice> "Do you have an appointment?" When they answer "No" like they always do, my brother offers to schedule one for them and that usually gets them to wish him a nice day :D

If you've never heard this prank by Tom Mabe, you may want to listen to how HE handles a telemarketer! ROFL!

http://800notes.com/videos/ZYW4XYBo8ADI_gjJXHU9pA <---------LINK!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I don't answer. unless I know the number I never answer the phone. if it's important they can leave a message and I will call back. I do this because I am incapable of being rude to them lol. I just can't do it. usually I end up getting sucked into buying something because I just can't say no lol. if I just hang up it eats at my mind for hours lol. I don't know why.

Same with people that come to the door. I don't answer the door anymore either because I just can't turn people away LOL

ACooper

I don't answer. unless I know the number I never answer the phone. if it's important they can leave a message and I will call back. I do this because I am incapable of being rude to them lol. I just can't do it. usually I end up getting sucked into buying something because I just can't say no lol. if I just hang up it eats at my mind for hours lol. I don't know why.

Same with people that come to the door. I don't answer the door anymore either because I just can't turn people away LOL
Oh sparks you crazy woman! Come hang with me for a few days..........I'll teach you the ways of the dark side! ROFL!

Solicitors have come to my door and can SEE ME through the window........I've waved to them, and smiled at them as I didn't open the door.

I've been playing Wii with the windows open (two big windows in the front room) and solicitors knock on the door, I don't answer, they begin talking to me through the window! I keep playing and tell them to go away.........they keep talking...........I get louder with NOT INTERESTED-BUSY HERE! LOL

No, I don't consider it rude. I pay a lot of money to own that door and phone. I will answer or open it to whom I choose ;)

Taqroy

I used to do cold calls for a donation drive at my college. :p It was an interesting job and I was REALLY good at it - when people would talk to me. I always hated it when people would say no but they didn't hang up. Because if they didn't hang up we had to keep pushing and I flat out hated doing that.

Oh, and one time I called this lady and asked for monies and she was all "I don't have any money and you suck and my degree is useless and my daughter and her 20 kids are living with me so you should be giving ME money." And I was like.....lady if I had money I WOULD NOT BE DOING THIS JOB. :rofl1:

Anyway. I never took it personally when people were rude. I preferred it when they just hung up though - no need to cuss me out lol.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I live in a complex of 6 houses and for some reason people keep knocking on my door today!!! It drives me mad! I don't want to answer my door unless I have invited someone over. Bugger off! LOL

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I have all of my numbers registered on the federal "do not call" list, but it doesn't seem to stop all of them, especially the "off shore" ones that are basically outside of the jurisdiction anyway.

Either I don't answer and let it go to voice mail, then just delete it (if they even leave a message) or sometimes I will answer and just speak in some made up "mumble" language.

Them: Hello, my I speak with eddieq?
Me: Mphakdk ahmma muuuuripeig
Them: Hello? I would like to speak with eddieq? Is this eddieq?
Me: Maaaamayfosaphilaguriapugh ana fooey
Them: Is this eddieq?
Me: Akraphambiacruplayamasta von boogifier
Them: Click

Doberluv

Those are some crazy stories. I can't believe some of these people and how they actually say, "F you!" Unbelievable! Coop, that's a funny video!

I had some Jehova's witnesses come to my door one time and I didn't answer. The door was ajar and when they knocked, it started to open. I had a GSD at the time and he was in the house. I was trying to be very quiet and keep him quiet until they went away. I heard them whisper, not knowing what to do and they finally just went away. LOL. I don't remember very well what Ajax, my dog did. It's funny, but that's a blur. He was pretty friendly to strangers who weren't bad guys and I don't think he barked at all, as I remember it. But he did bark his head off when someone came to the door at night one time, trying to get in. He became vicious behind the door, snarling and gnashing his teeth. But this time, I don't think he did a thing. He must have known they were women doing the Lord's work. ROFLOL!

I have caller I.D. now too and it's a great help. I get calls from all kinds of different states. Then I know it's nobody I know. But sometimes I grab the phone without looking at it and get caught. Then I just say in a super friendly voice that sounds like I'm in a hurry...."Thanks for calling...not interested!" and hang up. lol.

Tell the Telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask him/her if he/she will give you his/her home phone number so you can call him/her back. When the Telemarketer explains that telemarketers cannot give out their home numbers say, "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The Telemarketer will agree and you say, "Me either!" Hang up
I've heard of this one before.

Here are some other ways to handle them:

How To Mess With Telemarketers

1. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money.

2. If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems. My arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died . . . "

3. If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located, how long it has been in business, how many people work there, how they got into this line of work if they are married, how many kids they have, etc. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.

4. This works great if you are male. Telemarketer: "Hi, my name is Judy and I'm with XYZ Company. " You: Wait for a second and with a real husky voice ask, "What are you wearing?"

5. Cry out in surprise, "Judy? Is th
4 years ago Report Abuse
Additional Details
that you? Oh my God! Judy, how have you been?" Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where she could know you from.

6. Say "No" over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one, and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.

7. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan, reply, in as sinister a voice as you can, "I don't have any friends, would you be my friend?"

8. If the company cleans rugs, respond: "Can you get out blood? Can you get out goat blood? How about human blood?"

9. After the Telemarketer gives his or her spiel, ask him or her to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that you can't just give your credit card number to a complete stranger.

10. Tell the Telemarketer that you work for the same company, and they can't sell to employees.

11. Answer the phone. As soon as you realize it is a Telemar
4 years ago

Telemarketer, set the receiver down, scream, "Oh my God!" and then hang up.

12. Tell the Telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask him/her if he/she will give you his/her home phone number so you can call him/her back. When the Telemarketer explains that telemarketers cannot give out their home numbers say, "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The Telemarketer will agree and you say, "Me either!" Hang up.

13. Ask them to repeat everything they say, several times.

14. Tell them it is dinner time, but ask if they would please hold. Put them on your speaker phone while you continue to eat at your leisure. Smack your food loudly and continue with your dinner conversation.

15. Tell the Telemarketer you are on "home incarceration" and ask if they could bring you some beer.

16. Ask them to fax the information to you, and make up a number.
17. Tell the Telemarketer, "Okay, I'll listen to you. But I should probably tell you, I'm not wearing any clo
4 years ago

clothes."

18. Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. "Come on, Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how's your momma?"

19. Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up . . . louder . . . louder...

20. Tell them to talk very slowly, because you want to write every single word down.
4 years ago
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080223134622AAPnfVe

Doberluv

I have all of my numbers registered on the federal "do not call" list, but it doesn't seem to stop all of them, especially the "off shore" ones that are basically outside of the jurisdiction anyway.

Either I don't answer and let it go to voice mail, then just delete it (if they even leave a message) or sometimes I will answer and just speak in some made up "mumble" language.

Them: Hello, my I speak with eddieq?
Me: Mphakdk ahmma muuuuripeig
Them: Hello? I would like to speak with eddieq? Is this eddieq?
Me: Maaaamayfosaphilaguriapugh ana fooey
Them: Is this eddieq?
Me: Akraphambiacruplayamasta von boogifier
Them: Click

That's hilarious!!!!:rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.