Non-surgical Neuter?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
And suddenly instead of antifreeze in the water bowls at confo shows there's a whole 'nother thing to worry about.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
All I could think was what about dogs that go through rescue, have had this done, then get neutered because they don't know it's been done? Potentially making rescues spend money on a dog that is already neutered

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
^ In the video it looks like they tattoo him and give him a tag that says he's been "zeutered". Not fool proof, especially the tag, but maybe if this becomes a big enough thing the tattoo will be recognizable enough to vets and rescues.

Very interesting!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
^ In the video it looks like they tattoo him and give him a tag that says he's been "zeutered". Not fool proof, especially the tag, but maybe if this becomes a big enough thing the tattoo will be recognizable enough to vets and rescues.

Very interesting!
Ohhh ok, i didn't actually watch the video in fear of my computer exploding :rofl1:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
The prospect of non-surgical neutering is, I’m guessing, going to be more exciting to people who deal with strays and rescues than it will be to most private practice vets, for whom surgical neutering is bread-and-butter work. Then again, I’ve definitely heard people (usually male people), stress over the idea of dog castration; zeutering would be a way to avoid your dog becoming a baby daddy while maintaining the integrity of his ball sacs
^ That was my first thought. More people who don't want their dogs to lose their "manliness" might get their dogs sterilized, which would be excellent.

ETA: I worried about the tattoo's relevance. It just looked like a "Z." At this point in time most people would be like, "WTF? Oh, whatever. Let's get the neuter on with." This would have to become BIG for people to avoid neutering dogs that have already been "zeutered."

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
That's why they're tattooed with I think its a square? Couldn't make it our quite clearly, but it looked different than the regular green line neuters get normally now.

kady05

I saw on another forum this is an old method that didn't work well and didn't take off... ?
Yeah apparently it never caught on because it was causing tissue necrosis and abscesses in some treated dogs.

Something HAD to have gone wrong for it not to become popular.. too bad, because it seems like a great option for some.

Freehold

It's a neat option, but not for rescues IMO. Well, not for the average rescue anyway. I'm not sure it would help with the hormone issues. Also, neuters are not really much of an issue to do to begin with... They are really easy as far as surgery goes. If vets would just stay reasonable in costs, neutering would be so much more sensible. Spays, on the other hand, tend to be more complicated.

I do like the idea of something like this for the fools who are attached to their dog's "manliness". But there needs to be a clear way for people to know they are neutered - in particular for the show world. While I might not always agree with dog show rules, I am against breaking the rules with something like neuticles, or this. I'd rather just see altered dogs allowed, or altered classes... But that's another can'o'worms ;)

I will never understand why they won't do vasectomies and tubals for those owners who would prefer that. Especially tubals -- a much simpler and less traumatic procedure!

SaraB

From what I remember, it made the dog infertile but did not stop testosterone production. Your average pet owner does not want to deal with the behaviors associated with an intact male dog and many are just flat out not equipped to deal with them. Besides that, neuter is a very non-invasive surgery and is generally pretty quick with speedy recoveries.

Bimmer is intact because I wanted to leave his hormones alone. It was very apparent that if he was going to live his life dealing with Fila bitches he needed all the balls -- and testosterone -- he could muster, lol. But he's never had any objectionable behaviors either. Always the perfect gentleman :)

SaraB

Bimmer is intact because I wanted to leave his hormones alone. It was very apparent that if he was going to live his life dealing with Fila bitches he needed all the balls -- and testosterone -- he could muster, lol. But he's never had any objectionable behaviors either. Always the perfect gentleman :)
I wish that happened with all intact male dogs. :) Your average pet owner however doesn't always have the know-how to raise a polite intact dog.

I can't claim any credit, Sara. He's just that way and has been from the time he was a pup <3 So was my first GSD, for that matter, and Bear, the GSD/Akita I had. I've been very blessed with my dogs.

Aleron

I think this could be a good option for offering low cost neutering in rural places.

I'm not sure what is supposed to be so difficult about intact males. I grew up with two intact male dogs and average pet owning parents. As a teen, we had three intact males and I was into training. Unfortunately, people in my 4H dog club and local training club convinced us it would be better for our dogs to be neutered and we had two of the three done. I almost immediately regretted it. They told me that my Collie's lack of consistency in the ring was due to hormones but the truth is, it was due to training and he didn't become more consistent being neutered. When I judge 4H in a rural IN county, almost all of the male dogs are intact and being handled by children and teens. Don't see too many issues other than some manly displays between a GSD and an Akita boy.

FWIW vasectomies are done on dogs but it's not easy (or cheap) to find a vet willing to do them. I know someone with a Terv that does SchH who had his done but he had to travel 5 hours to a reproduction vet and I think it was around $800 or so.

SaraB

I'm just speaking from the experiences I have with my clients, local pet owners. People who can't stop their intact dogs from marking or wondering. Easy things for most of us on this forum but not so easy for your average dog owner. Easy things for a home with structure and consistent rules to avoid or remedy but not your average joe.

Aleron

I'm just speaking from the experiences I have with my clients, local pet owners. People who can't stop their intact dogs from marking or wondering. Easy things for most of us on this forum but not so easy for your average dog owner. Easy things for a home with structure and consistent rules to avoid or remedy but not your average joe.
I don't know. My parents were very much average pet owners, probably more so than the people you are seeing because they never took dogs to training classes or taught them much beyond housetraining and very basic stuff (sit, down and a few tricks for treats). They got males because they didn't want to deal with girls in season and didn't want to have to have unnecessary surgery done. We definitely didn't have any sort of consistent rules or structure related to the dogs - they were pets and very little was expect of them behavior wise. Pretty much just potty outside and don't bite anyone ;) Never had an issue keeping our boy dogs at home or with marking. The boys never sired any litters either. My mother's family always had dogs and they were always intact males, they never complained of those dogs marking or running away from home either. My grandfather always had an intact male pet dog in the time I knew him and no marking in the house or roaming there either. And he was a very much an average pet owner. My aunt, uncle and cousin also owned intact males for a long time, until their most recent dogs I think. And they never had any roaming or marking problems either. None of those dogs ever sired litters either. And since they never got into training, the expectations of their dog's behavior were always of the basic potty outside and don't bite anyone sort.

Members online

No members online now.