drying your dog after bath

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
hmmm lol perhaps I don't want a pug then. I had always assumed they were more wash n wear (which is a BIG want for me) Sport takes way way less than 4 hours. hmm /scratches pugs off her 'someday list.
Depends on the dog. Chai takes about 15 minutes to dry if that, she has no undercoat. Ruby is somewhere in between at about an hour i'd say.

Izzie just has the thickest, most plush coat of my three. Get a black, they tend to have the short single coats more than the fawns.

Dekka

Just try me..
hmm still it would be my luck that I would get a thick coated dog lol and I wouldn't want a black for the added heat issues.

Giny

Why?

I mean if you own a thick coated breed, sure. But none of my dogs need to. Even the hairier JRTs dry very quickly (wirey hair doesn't hold water)

I live in Ontario, even when its cold out (though its the same temp in my house for the most part) my dogs just get towel dried. If its cold I make sure they are fully dry before they go outside.
Why what? lol Towel drying a short hair dog? Maybe I didn't explain myself well, but you basically said what I just wrote. If short hair, make sure to towel dry them well. I don't own a short haired dog, but if I did and couldn't dry them well during the winter time, I'd wait for warmer weather. They may feel dry to the touch but I'm sure they stay damp for a couple hours at least.

Dekka

Just try me..
my point was if you own breeds (not related to length of hair obviously... as the whippets ahve longer hair than pugs) why MUST they learn about hair dryers. Even on low air drying is better for skin and hair. So if the dog is comfortable (not cold) and dries quickly why is it a must?

Giny

my point was if you own breeds (not related to length of hair obviously... as the whippets ahve longer hair than pugs) why MUST they learn about hair dryers. Even on low air drying is better for skin and hair. So if the dog is comfortable (not cold) and dries quickly why is it a must?
I'm talking more on the part of a groomer, since I'm a groomer. Just like anything else, like getting them used to getting nails done, dryers are another thing that would be nice if they'd come in and not freak out over a dryer. It would make the dogs experience much more pleasurable for them and for me.

Giny

Yah, I don't get much JR in or whippets. I do get them for nails though. And I have one JR mixed with Aussie that comes in regularly for a grooming. She's such a sweet thing, the kind that makes me want to not call the owners to pick her up since she's such a love.lol Though in Sophie's mind, the dryer must die! lol (I have bite marks on the ends of the nozzle part of the dryer where she grabbed it, but she would never think of biting me)

mom2dogs

Izzie looks way better blow dried. If she's let to air dry she takes about 4 hours to completely dry and she gets cowlicks and weird zig zags in her fur as well as a very coarse feeling to her fur down her back.
My Pug was the same way, but it would take even longer than 4hrs, he might "feel" dry, but deep down he would still be damp. There was no way I could not dry him and just let him stay like that for prolonged periods of time, with my luck I always ended up with hot spots or mild staph infections. Plus the force dryer would take care of all the loose hairs (would never use one on the Westies, I want the undercoat, and most definately not on the jacket).

I think I would die of shock if I had a dog who could be dry in 15 minutes and not have to worry about their skin, coat, or anything :lol-sign: Maybe I need to switch breeds? lol

Dekka

Just try me..
ya JRTs dry sooo quickly. Even the LHW dry super fast a they have no undercoat. Dekka's mohawk can take a while to dry (longer than 15 if I stick my fingers down to the skin. BUT as she spends so much time in the water in the summer I don't worry about skin issues. (I did learn to take collars off in the summer, as the constant dunkings in the pond and wet collars CAN cause hot spots lol)

With living on a farm with a pond and all sorts water I couldn't live with a breed that took too long to dry, needed human help to dry or was prone to skin issues.

mom2dogs

You are not helping with my JRT fever :p There is a breeder in NY, and I do enjoy oohing and aahing over her dogs and go back/forth on whether I should get in touch with her. Must resist :lol-sign:

Dekka

Just try me..
ohhh he he he JRT fever....

(if you ever want to talk JRTs feeeel free to PM me :D )

mom2dogs

Definitely PMing you (later when I'm not drugged up on cold meds :lol-sign:)! Would love some input. Someone offered me a Parson, but they don't compare (IMO) to the JRTs I've met.

Giny

Not to take over the thread or anything but since you're talking JRT, funny coincidence...my SIL just got one and I got to see a picture of him yesterday and Oh my goodness...cute!
My new nephew pup! I can't wait to meet him.

Dekka

Just try me..
squeee earspots. I love ear spots. Is he a puddin, or is it the angle? What a cutie?

Giny

I don't know what a puddin' is? lol I only had a quick facebook chat with her, I'm going to give her a call this weekend to talk more about him. I had no idea she was even thinking of getting a dog, let alone a JRT. She's up in Canada so it means I won't get to meet him for a while....boo!

Dekka

Just try me..
Puddin= short legged/dwarf JRT. Non breed standard but you see loads of them at the trials.

Giny

Ah, I see. I need to bug her for more picture, cuz that one is just not enough...lol

Dekka

Just try me..
No that face is super cute... (tell her not to fall for the cuteness routine though ;) )

Giny

Ohh, found another picture on facebook and took it..lol

He's definitely not a puddin'...mister long legs.

Members online

No members online now.