For all the Show dogs/owners out there

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
What do you go through to prepare you dog for a confirmation class.

When do you bathe your dog, how long does it take you to get the grooming and everything ready, and where do you get it done, do you do it youself?

Does your dog require any extra grooming right before the show ring??

What type of shampoo do you use and why?

skyhigh

i wish i'd know. lol. m trying to find out the same thing. Is Riot from show lines? My GS pup is.

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
To prepare your dog for confirmation, you need to start training as a puppy to walk on the lead(no sitting when you stop). Be able to gait in a straight line(handler too!) He must learn to pose and learn to allow someone to go over him including his mouth. If you have any dog clubs in your area there are usually always breeders that would be glad to assist you. If you can find a dog show that is a good learning tool to watch the handlers in the ring.

Grooming I would do as far as brushing out the coat and doing the nails again you need to know what the standard requires for showing. I would bathe at least 2 days before the show and blow out the coat really well to get all the dead coat out. I would probably use a light coat dressing the night before the show with another good brushing all over. Yes most people learn to groom their own dogs especially shepherds because there is not that much grooming except for a good brushing and bath and toenails. Its been many years since I have shown shepherds. Not much grooming involved. Really a no brainer.

Just a good all round shampoo for DOGS, not human shampoo as they have degreasers in them and will dry out the skin and coat.

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
Apologize I see your dog is a B.T.. Was thinking he was a shepherd OOps. Not hardly any major grooming on them either. They are a herding dog so they go pretty natural. Self stacking really just have to practice on the leash stopping and of course having some one come up and examine him. That is a big thing to get them use to. You want to show AKC or other?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Riot will be shown in the CKC circuit. He is entered into Confirmation classes right now every Monday night. it was a big shock to him to have other puppies jumping at him and such, but he was MUCh better in the end. Hes learning "stand" right now because hes soo proficient with "sit" its sickening lmao!

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
I apologize to those living in Canada. When I referred to CKC kennel club I was referring to Central kennel club in the US. Not the Canadian Kennel club. Didn't want anyone to think I was slamming canada's club. They have a great kennel club and have had many friends that finished dogs in Canada. I just wanted to clarify since both clubs have same initials.

Members online

No members online now.