Protective Dog breeds

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Ok, in light of my current living situation and the fact that I'm just too wary/scare/paranoid to sleep at night, I'm considering getting a dog that might be able to alert to strangers in the area. I mean a dog that would bark if someone knocked on the door or, like this weekend, if someone climbs up on my back porch.

So, are there any good alert breeds to look for in rescues/Craiglist/shelters? Can't be any breed that can't get insured (ie Pits, Rotts ect) since I live in an apartment complex whose only restriction on dogs is breed.

I can send you Armani... you will KNOW the second someone is near the apt... now once they come in?! he will probably come running to hide behind you.:rofl1:

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Most of the herding and working breeds will alert. Do you want something with some size to back up the bark? Do you want something that will bark but isn't likely to bite or do you want something that's more likely to bite if needed?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
If all you want is a dog to bark an alert, a ton of breeds could fit the bill. A lot of the small and toy breed dogs seem more vocal to me and can be great watch dogs. Summer is the best watch dog I've had. Any noise, especially at night, and she'll start with a low growl and come over to me to let me know she thinks something's there. The few times my dad has decided to open my door and walk in at night, she literally jumps on me and barks and growls a warning to him. The only problem is when Summer barks an alarm it kind of sounds like a squeaky toy going off, lol! Most the paps have been the same way (except Nard who doesn't usually realize something until the others have, lol!) Rose is what I call my little redneck dog- she often sounds like she's going to kill whatever wanders in our yard.

Trey in his prime was a great watchdog. Shelties are very loud with their barks too so if you couldn't see him you'd have no idea it was a small dog barking at you. He sounds like he's about 60- 70 lbs and mean when he's carrying on. All of my shelties were good about this too, they tend not to care for strangers and are very observant and vocal dogs. And like I said, their bark could probably bust the person's ear drums. The only problem is they tend to not like to stop barking once they start.

Now, if someone actually came in the house, he'd probably have hidden and the paps are sure not going to do much to stop someone. (As soon as they see the person it's 'omg newbestfriend!') But I do know everything that goes on with them around.

I would suggest maybe a GSD, but they're hard (basically impossible here) to rent with. Shack was a very very protective dog and pretty imposing looking if you didn't know him. I always felt safe with him around. I feel for you on the rental thing, though. I want another GSD more than anything (yes, even a bc) but can't get one because of where I live. It sucks.

An Aussie would be another idea. A lot of Aussies are similar to shelties in that they are not going to be warming right up to strangers but they have more size. Herding breeds in general would be something to look at, imo.

Last edited:

sprintime

Any dog will sound the alarm if need be. I have yet to see a dog that won't bother barking at an intruder or some noise they hear. Terrier breeds are notorious for their barking. I think just the barking would scare anyone who was around since they would be afraid of getting caught where they don't belong. A large protective dog could be more than you bargained for if not properly trained.

Paige

Let it be
Herding dogs of some sort! My Border Collies aren't barkers. You won't hear a peep out of them in the house. Nor if someone knocks at the door but you'll have one heck of a time trying to break into the house without me getting woken up. Spank is the alarm, Bandit the muscle. I'm not suggesting you get a Border Collie, but herding breeds in general seem to like to use their voices. I also lived with a Sheltie for years. They certainly are vocal and if you don't get a look at them you won't be invading someone's house. They sound pretty fierce.

That being said Miley puts on the alarm too. Post an ad on craigslist saying you want a dog that barks. I'm sure there will be tons of people wanting to rid themselves of their bored, under stimulated, obsessive barkers that given the proper mental stimulation could just be alarm dogs.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Thanks guys! I have Izzy but she honestly thinks humans are the best thing in the world and wags her tail at anyone that comes near. She doesn't even seem to get it when I tense up around bigger guys on the street walking by us as the sun is setting (Which won't happen again any time soon) She just wants to be pet and loved on by everyone so she's really not an alarm dog.

Sheltie sounds great to me, they're adorable and I love the collie-look. I'd like a bark with depth that sounds like a big dog but it doesn't necessarily need to be a dog that can back up the bark with a bite. I'd like a GSD but I don't think they're allowed here. I do love herding breeds so an Aussie would make me super happy,

I've been looking at Shar Pei rescues and the breed looks like something I'd enjoy but I'm not sure what my apartment complex allows. Maybe I should ask for a breed list (the ones that aren't allowed) And go from there.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Yea, retrievers are probably among the least likely to bark. They're just too friendly and trusting.

Corgis are good watchdogs. Their bark sounds like it's a bigger dog. :)

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I think Justin really feels sorry about the fact that I can't sleep because I don't feel safe so I think we'll be visiting some shelters this week and see if anyone jumps out at us.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Akitas...a lot of dog tho. They would gladly die for their people.
But not as likely to bark. ;)

Any terrier or herding type dog like people have said will bark an alert if someone is at the door or entering.

ETA: One of my friends knew a west highland white terrier that gave a burglar the need for over 300 stitches from the waist down. Don't underestimate the little guys!

S

Squishy22

I've never had a dog that wouldn't alert the second they knew something was up. Some growled more and others yapped more, but they all alerted pretty well.

I dont think I could ever handle having a shelty. Gorgeous dogs, but every one I've seen were obsessive barkers. High pitched barking at that, lol. Same with min pins. The chihuahuas I've had were barkers, but they were not overly obsessive about it. Thats just my own experience. One breed that tends to be more on the quiet side are chows I've noticed.

grab01

I'm on a boat..
I think the majority of dogs will bark. A terrier of some sort is a great suggestion. Even Grimm, who is a wee little psuedo terrier, started barking at the door by the time he was 4 months old.

BostonBanker

My only point of concern would be that if you are renting, be careful that you set rules from day one on WHAT your dog can bark at. I would think a dog that is barking constantly would be a pretty quick way to get kicked out of your rental.

A friend of mine who was concerned about her living situation after a scary encounter one night wound up getting a black and tan coonhound cross from her local shelter. He's as dumb as a post and very sweet, but looks enough like a rottie to get people to back off pretty easily.

I say just look for a big dog that has a big bark. Any large dark colored mutt will do ;)

My Akita mix was actually my second line of defense. He wouldn't alert, normally, so Wally was my first alert system. But Mike, Mike was the one I could count on to take someone out.

Granted he would have died for me but at the same time he would have gladly killed me. Maybe he's not such a great example . . . :lol-sign:

Sweet72947

Squishy face
This is true. Although I was talking to a woman at the Akita rescue and breeders are trying to water down the guarding temperament of the Akita because it isn't practical to have a very sharp dog in modern society (so they say). You can find them in large or medium sizes, and you can find a mushball Akita for adoption around here as easily as you could find a sharp one; most people are wary of them because their reputation proceeds them. Don't know about the OP's area, but there are quite a few Akita BYB here unfortunately, so you can always find an Akita for adoption someplace.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've been looking at Shar Pei rescues and the breed looks like something I'd enjoy but I'm not sure what my apartment complex allows. Maybe I should ask for a breed list (the ones that aren't allowed) And go from there.
That'd be a good idea. When I was shopping they'd tell me they wouldn't accept 'aggressive breeds' and I'd demand a list. The list would get there and be really really weird. I've seen bedlington terriers and keeshonds on a few of the aggressive breeds lists right alongside the usual suspects. Akitas are restricted in about every apartment I've seen as well.

I'd be careful though with a big black and tan mutt or something. A black and tan dog from a breeder might be a safer bet. You don't want someone mistaking your coonhound mix for a rottie mix and you can't prove it's not a rottie mix.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
They are less likely to bark...FOR NO REASON. When they bark...it is because there is an actual reason. I like that about them...but they are big, they shed a ton...and are on many "lists".

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
well theres alot to consider

are you looking for a dog that will just make noise?
a dog that not only has the bark but has the look
or a dog that might just follow through...

add to that the kind of grooming and excersize requirments ect...
and id get a copy of the complex restricted breeds...

quite honeslty there is no better ALARM dog than a toy breed, (ok so a pack of them) if you want osmeone to actually tell you that theses something out there...
i always say my parents house will never need an alarm system because of the wowies!

cresties have a haunting strangly deep yodleing kind of bay when there spooked...
of course toy breeds dont have the look, and its definatly nto a scary pitch, but most with none good intentions wont bother with any home with a noisey dog, they draw too much attention. most tresspassers whantquick and quiet in and outs, they dont want confrontation and nay kind of barking (particularly the obviously annoying yapping of a very alert little dog) is offputting for many.
Dogs like corgies and standard doxies have an incredibly deep bark for their small stature and are often assumed to be much bigger than they are by sound alone.
basset hounds are also BIG noise makers lol. thats if they wake up lol.

however if your looking for something with alittle more look...some of the hearding breeds or terriers woudl work well, generally big enough size wise to be a good deterent to most who woudlnt care about a smaller dog...and most make good alarm systems.
my nan grew up with an awesome airedale who would have fit your bill perfectly...just big enough to be offputting...and he knew when to make a good ole noise.
of course in those cases dobies, shepards, belgians ect have the look, some would "back it up" but most are alot of noise and posturing...

then you have the truly protective breeds like the filas...
i think if your looking to add a second dog...
excersize requirments, size ect should come first...

good luck!

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Something I'd forgotten about completely was that my father was looking to get me to take Ame, their female Chessie. Now those two bark when someone comes down the driveway or to the door. Only problem is she's used to being an outside dog and not stay inside all day so I don't know how well that would work.

Excersize/temperment/size do come first which is why I asked for suggestions so I could look through the breeds and see which suited my situation best. Thank you guys for so many thorough responses. I plan on going to the office tomorrow to get a list of banned breeds then revisit this thread and see who's been crossed off my possibility list.

I think we'll probably end up with a medium sized mutt with a good bark on 'em. I'm currently wanting a male but a female is fine so long as they get along with same sex dogs. Izzy gets about an hour long walk each day with a short run each night so I'll keep in mind that I need a medium to low energy dog breed (If I end up going breed rescue)

I really want a large mastiff... Justin doesn't like the way they look, doesn't think we can afford to feed one and we're not sure if the complex would take one. But I wish I could *sigh* I want a dog that looks a little more scary than a toy breed and has a deeper bark. That said, terrier would be fine save for the fact that they'd get too easily bored without having access to a fenced yard. So a dog that can be happy indoors is a must. I don't need a dog that would bite back but it would be awesome to feel like I had a real gaurdian. Alerting is plenty, I want to know if someone is at my door, back OR front trying to get in.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

Members online

No members online now.