Canaan Dogs

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Any personal experience with the breed? I've seen them at shows, held them for their owners at ringside, etc. and they seem to be a nice, stable breed.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I've only seen them at shows... and I've been struck by how nervous and skittish they are. Then again, that might just be the ones in my region.

I've never met a stable Canaan dog.

I've met some nice Canaan dogs and it's a breed I find very interesting. They are a flock guardian dog, so not the right breed for everyone. They are one of the few dogs that use the words reserved and aloof with strangers. Ours was changed to cautious...so I understand this well.

There are some differences in type, I think, that I don't quite have a handle on...but as a new breed, I think there are still some things they are working on.

I've handled a couple for some local gals...one of which had wild born dogs in his pedigree. He was sweet as the dickens, playful and so interesting to be with...thinking that just a few generations back, this dogs relatives were Pariah dogs living with Beuodins. (sp)

A nice group of people who are truly dedicated to their breed of choice.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Ive never met a stable one either. ive seen either aggresive or nervous/skittish

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I guess there's a wide variance in type ... that's really not surprising. I'm doing some research on alternative dogs for a guide dog school and trying to think of breeds I could test out for them. I've seen several multi-titled, health tested kennels, so I'd go that route when evaluating a breeder. I have no use for skittish or timid.

Thanks for the input!

There used to be one near here, a mostly white with some black on it male, and he was very hyper. King and him were good buddies though, and King doesn't usually like hyper dogs. He was much better with other dogs than people. For the first dozen times or so I met him, he would dive to the ground like I was shooting at him when I said his name, but some food eventually got him to like me, and he would stand up and pester me to rub his head and shoulders.

Members online