Breed Suggestions :)

Brattina88

I have a breed (and breeder) in mind, and of course there's always my back and forth of another one of my current two breeds. But I was a little bored and also curious as to what chazzers think :) This is for future puppy 2014 (or later depending on finding a breeder, etc). I have decided that I do want a breeder pup instead of a rescue, its been going on 11 years since I've had a puppy (Maddie) and I'm ready :D

Here's a few things I could think of, if you have any questions or want more details let me know.
Some things I'm looking for:

* I'm interested in shorter fur, but not a deal breaker. I am used Bailey's shedding, used to live with German Shedders.... and I often "hobby groom" for friends, co-workers and I groom Maddie, so that doesn't scare me off. I do like the wash and wear coat, though! Bailey's pretty much is.

* Relatively healthy breed would be wonderful. I admit I'd love to not have to be extremely proactive and not worry about skin conditions or ear infections constantly

* Energy-wise I want some drive, but not an insane amount. I want a dog that will be able to at the very least keep up with me and Bailey... I'd love to have a playmate for her and also a dog I can do a little more with. We've been jogging and I just started Biking with her. My favorite thing to do is hiking. This is where I've like having a bigger dog, I used to use Missy the GSD as a "brace" when hiking on the more difficult trails.
We've dabbled in RallyO, Treibball (fun!), and Agility Foundations classes. I'm not as into agility as I thought I was, but I do like the classes.
Oh, and swimming! I love to go to the off leash dog beach and spend all day there, so liking water is always a plus.

* Not typically known for DA or SSA. I don't need dog park material but I do need a dog to be able to function and co-exist with other dogs. Not just my own but also friends dogs in an a potential off-leash setting, and other dogs at dog events, training classes, etc

* I like velcro dogs but I also need a dog that won't freak out and have SA if I have to work late. I am a preschool teacher and sometimes I have conferences or meetings or classes. I have back-up plans for my back up plans, and I always have someone to let the dogs out if needed or even walk if necessary but I need a dog that would be okay with that if the situation ever arises.

* As for size, I think Similar size, or a little bit bigger. So... 20-40lbs, give or take? I've always wanted bigger, but I am a little hesitant because I love how easily it is to pop one or both of my girls in the car and take them anywhere.

* Speaking of, I want that. Adaptability or biddable in the sense that they can stay with me if I need to run a few errands, or stop at a friends house and do a few things after training class and not have to worry about micromanaging behavior so they don't get into things :p for example. But I don't need or expect blind obedience.

* As far as protectiveness, I am alone a lot of the time and that's one of the reasons I wanted a little bit bigger. But I am not confident with dogs that are HA and I do have children in/out of my life sometimes

Can't think of anything else :p Feel free to ask me anything!

Romy

Taxiderpy
Boston terriers come in a range of sizes. Their smushed noses don't seem to slow them down a whole lot. Every single one I've known has lived happily in a multi dog household, done great with strange dogs, and overall seem to adjust well to traveling around and doing things.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
How about a Mudi? http://mudi.us/index.html

I like to promote the more rare FSS breeds because they try so hard to get their breed recognised with the AKC. My friend has one. She was a Belgian Sheep Dog (Black hairy) previously. Everytime I see him he's very friendly, and small enough to carry around. LOL! If you are strong. She often holds her dog on her lap at dog shows.

The Mudi Club is holding a National Specialty in Dayton, Ohio, this year.

Brattina88

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Now I am looking up ES and Tollers :eek: lol The downside to them is I've only met one toller(I liked him!), and I have never met an ES so I will have to do a lot of research before I would make a decision on either.
I admit that Aussie was the breed I was really interested in. I really really love my trainers aussie, but I don't like the breeder much, so the breeder search would have to ensue.

The Mudi Club is holding a National Specialty in Dayton, Ohio, this year.
Thanks! I didn't know that! I'd love to meet the breed!

Where are you in Ohio? My family is in NW Ohio and I'm not home that often, but maybe we could meet up sometime and you could meet the black and white.

Members online