Dog playing

Fran27

When Boris and Tips play, here is what happens. Boris jumps around Tips, lies down, tail wagging. Tips sometimes goes to smell him, sometimes ignores him. Then Boris pushes Tips a bit with his paw, slobbers all over him (I should take a picture of Tips after that, lol), and pushes him around a bit. Tips go on his back, lets Boris smell him... After a while he gets irritated, and starts trying to nip at him when Boris keeps pushing him. Boris jumps away, still wagging his tail, tries to nip him too, then start pushing him again.

Boris is mostly gentle, but I'm worried he will hurt Tips (who is much smaller than him, as you can see)

He often goes over him, and kind of nibble his fur etc. It's mostly when he pushes him around that I'm worried, and when he starts nipping (I know how his nips can hurt).

Is this normal? Is it normal for Tips to try to nip at Boris? And for Boris to push Tips around as he does? The poor thing can't do much except trying to nip, and I don't know if he's really annoyed or playing too... He still has lots of patience though.

Other than that, they smell each other a lot when Tips is in the crate etc.

Aw, that's a cute picture! Did you name him, or did the shelter? That's kind of weird...he looks like he's got a little BC in him, I've got a mostly BC mix named Tippy.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i would always isolate any puppy i brought home from a shelter for a week anway to make sure that it is completely healthy and to give it time to adjust..there is alot of shock to get over and allow the pup to get his new bearings. A big dog is capable of doing quite a bit of damage without meaning to and a puppy in a weakened state and nervous demeanor can't be up to protecting themselves no matter how good the bigger dog's intentions are. Just because your new pup has had it's vaccines doesn't mean that it wasnt exposed before the vaccine was given..allow your pup time to recover.

Fran27

Well they have only played probably three times together, they are seperated the rest of the time.

Fran27

I couldn't take an appointment as it's the week end. I'm calling first thing tomorrow. He went to the vet last week at the rescue though, I got a good health certificate - it doesn't mean he doesn't have something that he couldn't see, though, I agree.

Fran27

Well mostly I don't want them to play too much right now, but I want them to get used to each other too. I got an appointment on Wednesday for a check up.

When I brought my kitten, Diva, home for the animal shelter I was worried that Cotton might play too rough and hurt her. But Diva wasn't afraid and was able to handle Cotton. Matter of fact, Cotton was overwhelmed by Diva when she came home. Diva is a little agressive kitty. It was funny watching Cotton hiding under the couch from a little kitten the first day. But they get along fine now.

Members online

No members online now.