guess the breed!

T

tessa_s212

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYTbaFQWl48

Basically it comes down to this dog being labeled a certain breed, however I feel there may be a chance that it is another.

He is probably roughly about 24-25 in tall and perhaps about 55-65 lbs. Tell me what you think he is!

Annnnnnnd... I have another!

She's small. Not tooo large, and still very much puppy, though probably nearly if not already full grown. I'd say she is about 14-15 in tall at most, and a minimum of 35 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrose_s

BusterLove
I see gundog, maybe chesapeake and some lab?

i know pretty much nothign about chesapeakes though, I've only seen a few pics but he does resemble them. Maybe a bit of vizla or GSP or somethign lighter boned?

T

tessa_s212

We were thinking that he may be purebred, actually.

I was thinking more along the lines of either a solid liver GSP or solid English Pointer. He's so large - I don't think I've ever seen a GSP as tall as he, and he's got a full length tail. However, I just do not know how common solid EPs are in the area. Not that many people breed them, though it would appear that it is from field lines, not show - and field lines are not particular about the color as show breeders (most show breeders won't breed solid EPs). I haven't had too much experience or time around the GSP, but this dog reminds me so much of my own EP. Either way, he is listed as both a EP and a GSP(secondary breed) on the petfinder.com website.

Maxy24

That third pic of the first dog screams Viszla to me. Either that or pointer, does he point? and I have NO idea about the second but he's adorable!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I honestly thought Vizsla/lab for the first one. he is big though. I'd think the head shape would be a bit different if he was entirely pointer based on the pointers I've seen. English pointers tend to have that really 'dished in' look to their muzzles, if you know what Im trying to say. Some sort of pointer in there definitely.

The second one is hard. I think there's obviously some terrier in there. That's as far as I get. Possibly JRT or maybe even some pit.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The first dog is a Pointer of some sort, the second dog looks like an ACDX to me.

Dekka

Just try me..
The second dog looks A LOT like a JRT mix to me. If he was mostly white.. he could get get recorded (what JRT registries do with non breeding JRTs) as a JRT. His tail is looks docked. The size is right too. There are millers and bybs breeding 'rare' mostly solid coloured JRTs now. So he could be from there (looks just like some of the ones on their websites) or he could be a cross, or he could be something completely different.

T

tessa_s212

The second dog looks A LOT like a JRT mix to me. If he was mostly white.. he could get get recorded (what JRT registries do with non breeding JRTs) as a JRT. His tail is looks docked. The size is right too. There are millers and bybs breeding 'rare' mostly solid coloured JRTs now. So he could be from there (looks just like some of the ones on their websites) or he could be a cross, or he could be something completely different.
Actually, perhaps it is just the angle of the camera, but the second that you said could be a JRT is actually more like the size of a short/stocky pit.(And she does have full length tail.) To put it into perspective, here is a Whitey the pitbull and the second mix in this thread playing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DRjWLec0JHw

happyhound

I've seen those black/tan stubby legged ones but are there other solid colors as well?

MicksMom

We were thinking that he may be purebred, actually.

I was thinking more along the lines of either a solid liver GSP or solid English Pointer. He's so large - I don't think I've ever seen a GSP as tall as he, and he's got a full length tail. However, I just do not know how common solid EPs are in the area. Not that many people breed them, though it would appear that it is from field lines, not show - and field lines are not particular about the color as show breeders (most show breeders won't breed solid EPs). I haven't had too much experience or time around the GSP, but this dog reminds me so much of my own EP. Either way, he is listed as both a EP and a GSP(secondary breed) on the petfinder.com website.
GSP was my first thought. He looks too light weight to be a Pointer (English).

LauraLeigh

Not sure about dog 1, kind of agree about Lab/Pointer or Visla X ( Not sure how common Visla's are?) Dog 2 is too big for a JRT in my opinion, but looks like a cross that likely has Pit in it? Esp. when compared in the video to Whitey as they play. They look like great friends and Shasha looks like a sweetie!

R

RedyreRottweilers

Dog 1 looks strongly like a German Short Hair to me. No idea about the second one.

T

tessa_s212

Considering I KNOW that there are GSP breeders somewhere in the area and that this dog is intact - I'm going to make an assumption and go with field/byb bred solid german shorthair. Have already changed his petfinder.

As for the second dog, we decided on listing him as an ACD/pit mix. Could definitely have more than two breeds in there, but petfinder only allows two to be listed. :p I'm not sure how likely that it is an ACD/pit/JRT.. oh, the fun of guessing! :D

T

tessa_s212

The pictures don't actually show it, but his coat is actually very fluffy. He's got what I call the "sheltie butt". He was found stray on a very cold day with a shoulder wound.

MicksMom

That's the second dog, right? I'll say ACD/Corgi mix. I know it sounds weird, and I can't put my finger on it, but something about that first pic reminds me of a Corgi with longer legs.

Jessica E

I would say a choc lab/ vizsla mix on the first one. The second one I would say sheltie mix of some sort

Members online

No members online now.