The Trouble with Henry(help)

skinnyhips

Glad and Sorry
well we rescued a 2yr old beagle/chow mix about 4months ago. we're guessing he was abused and what not because he's very afraid of me (the male of the house). he won't come when called out of total fear. i've tried luring him with food(like real good food). ignoring him and letting him come to me and other things. kinda getting on my nerves. i mean sometimes he's so spooked he'll try and run through the door to get away. i'm afraid he's gonna hurt himself sometime cuz of this.

i try walking him extra long just to tire him out to get him to relax a bit more before training with him but that doesn't work either. the only time he's good with me is first thing in the morning in bed...but as soon as the lady gets out of bed he turns cold and won't go near me.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I wish i had some easy answers but i don't. I do want to say that my dog was a rescue too. And it took months and months...almost a year before we had addressed most of his issues. I wish you all the luck in the world. Bless you for being so patient!

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Time and patience. That's it. Use a soft voice, don't look him directly in the eye, and just give him time to trust you. For some dogs they warm up in weeks, others take months. Good luck with everything.

bubbatd

That's the only problem with rescues ...... wish we knew their past abuse . Hang in there !!! Time/love/patience .

~Tucker&Me~

Time and patience. That's it. Use a soft voice, don't look him directly in the eye, and just give him time to trust you. For some dogs they warm up in weeks, others take months. Good luck with everything.
Yes, agreed. Also, become the resource manager. You feed him, walk him, pet him, etc. You must always equal good in his opinon. At this point, I would not correct him at all.

Also, when you feed him, ditch his bowl. Feed him straight from your hand.

~Tucker

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Awww, poor pup, and poor you. He's lucky he found some one who is so patient with him!

I definitely agree with being the resource manager... he should learn to rely on you for everything. Every experience with you should be a positive, rewarding one; and sooner or later, he will come to associate being around you with being happy.

It's important that you don't rush him. Let him come to you when he's comfortable, and don't reach out toward him, just allow him to smell you and make yourself as non-threatening as possible.

skinnyhips

Glad and Sorry
thanks for the tips....i'll keep ya all posted. it just sucks cuz he is a sweet dog and i'd love to have a good relationship with him but he's stubborn as all get out.

Members online

No members online now.