10 Newborns need help - Mama on LIfe Support

I'm passing this along for Kathy. Contact Kathy directly if you can help her or give her some alternative options. Please DO NOT waste time contacting me as this takes time away from helping the puppies. I cannot always monitor my email and these pups need help to survive NOW.

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 7:31 PM
Subject: EMERGENCY! Baby Goldens need a foster mom!!

Kim Cain needs help for her 10 little newborn golden retrievers. The mother dog had a c-section and stopped breathing during the surgery. There are 10 little puppies on her now, she is on life support. As soon as they take her off the life support she will stop breathing. They want to find a surrogate mother for them before they turn the machine off.

PLEASE spread the word that we need mommy dogs. THANKS!

Kathy Hoover
WEST TEXAS KENNEL CLUB

R

RedyreRottweilers

This has been taken care of. The puppies are being nursed by a poodle who lost her own litter.

R

RedyreRottweilers

this came across my lists yesterday, and it is reliable info. The puppies are with a poodle bitch. The Golden bitch is still on life support, but it does not look good for her last I heard.

This is what was on my list:

A foster mom has been found for the orphaned golden puppies in Midland, TX.
Thanks to all of you who volunteered to help out!!!

Voicemail I had at about 6 p.m. tonight was that the Std. Poodle they had
found had accepted the pups, and they were on their way home with a poodle
nursing 10 golden puppies. We are all very grateful and relieved that
this
situation, although tragic for both owners, has worked out for everyone
involved.

This really is sad about the Mama. How on earth did this happen anyway?

I posted this on Saving Georgia Dogs and they were so damned judemental because this was a Breeder asking for help. Then they questioning how I got a message from a breeder!

Geeesh....in my eyes, it's 10 little innocent souls and a sad ending for Mom, no matter if they were from a breeder ...as long it was a reputable breeder and at least she reached out to the community for help.

R

RedyreRottweilers

These puppies were from an excellent breeder. Food for thought for anyone thinking of breeding. Bitches do die from whelping complications. This breeder is LUCKY in a way, because she might not lose the litter.

bubbatd

What a touching post !!! My prayers are with both the Mom and the pups and bless the Poodle owner !! This is the greatest Golden/Poodle get together of date !!!

Oh, you're going to love this reaction from a rescue group! Unbelievable and from a group who supposedly cares so much about animals.

This is pure hatred toward responsible breeders, and of course me for posting for help. (PuppyBreath is me)

10 newborns need help - Mama on life support
December 13 2006 at 4:55 PM PuppyBreath (Login puppybreath)
from IP address 70.121.186.230

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm passing this along for Kathy. Contact Kathy directly if you can help her or give her some alternative options. Please DO NOT waste time contacting me as this takes time away from helping the puppies. I cannot always monitor my email and these pups need help to survive NOW.

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 7:31 PM
Subject: EMERGENCY! Baby Goldens need a foster mom!!

Kim Cain needs help for her 10 little newborn golden retrievers. The mother dog had a c-section and stopped breathing during the surgery. There are 10 little puppies on her now, she is on life support. As soon as they take her off the life support she will stop breathing. They want to find a surrogate mother for them before they turn the machine off.

PLEASE spread the word that we need mommy dogs. THANKS!

Kathy Hoover
WEST TEXAS KENNEL CLUB

Respond to this message

Author Reply
dogluv
(Login dogluv)
FUNDRAISING GROUP
that message seems to be from a kennel club, not a rescue December 13 2006, 4:59 PM

There must be breeders in Texas who can help.

Respond to this message

PuppyBreath
(Login puppybreath)
Regardless, it's 10 little innocent lives

Respond to this message

katsndogs
(Login katsndogs)
I think the breeder that did this to the momma should bottle feed them-
its disgusting she did this to that poor dear dog.

Respond to this message

Kathryn
(Login kathryndhinkle)
Moderators
I agree! If you breed your dog and the dog dies after giving birth..welcome to motherhood!

Respond to this message

dogluv
(Login dogluv)
FUNDRAISING GROUP
There should be breeders in the club
or other breed clubs they know who have mom dogs who can help.
That's what most breed clubs do breed dogs.
They probably have a better network than rescuers. I know these puppies are 10 lives, but a breeder should have the resources to deal with this. How was a post from a breeder sent to you?

Respond to this message

Rita
(Login Rom32324)
Yes, but the dog stopped breathing during surgery, which should never have happened.

My guess is that the anesthesia wasn't monitored as it should have been. The surgical theater can be a very hectic place during a C-section, filled with many people catching and massaging puppies while the veterinarian typically works alone without a tech because most C-sections happen late at night. It's very sad when screw-ups like this happen, but they happen everday and it's just tragic. She must have stopped breathing for an awfully long time before anyone noticed for her to be brain dead. How sad for the babies, I hope they are able to get some colostrum from their Mommy while she is still "with" them.

Respond to this message

katsndogs
(Login katsndogs)
I thought this seems odd if she was having a c-section she
would have had anesthesia and the dog should have been intubated ( a breathing tube put down and having mechanical breathing), sounds like they just did a anesthesia without management of her airway--I find that really negligent even if she was an emergency c-section cause looked what happened a poor dog now brain dead on an respirator until a surgote mommma can be found so they can pull the plug- really tragic!

Respond to this message

gshephlvr
(Login gshephlvr)
Moderators
yes very disgusting. That **** breeder should handle it. And if a vet did that to my dog he would be facing horrible publicity and a lawsuit.

Respond to this message

PuppyBreath
(Login puppybreath)
She might actually be a responsible Breeder!
Geeesh....in my eyes, it's 10 little innocent souls and a sad ending for Mom, no matter if they were from a breeder ...as long it was a reputable breeder and at least she reached out to the community for help. It might be very possible she breeds these Retrievers to become Service Dogs too.

No one knows the circumstances as to what happened. Fact is, how many Shelters have screwed up!

Anyone remember Smiley? That poor boy didn't deserve to die, nor should he have died, but there was a lot of incompetence that led to that whole tragic event.

In any event, a standard poodle who lost her litter is now the surrogate.

Respond to this message

Kathryn
(Login kathryndhinkle)
Moderators
I'm glad the puppies are being nursed now, but honestly..if YOU had seen all the babies
I have hugged and cried over and told goodbye just before they entered the gas chamber at the shelter, maybe you would understand why "breeders" leave a bad taste in my mouth...aren't there enough puppies dying in shelters? And how many of them could have learned to be service dogs?

Respond to this message

Melissa
(Login angelhastheace)
have to agree about Service dogs...
That is how I started dog training. By helping those who want to owner-train their service dogs rather than get a 'program dog'. This gives people with disabilities a chance to help the animal that is going to be helping them, and SO often they work out better than the ones that were bred for that purpose. I wish that more people who use service animals would choose a rescue.

Respond to this message

gshephlvr
(Login gshephlvr)
Moderators
service dogs do not need to be bred to do so. Many shelter dogs have been trained as service dogs. And no breeder has a whole litter for service dogs. Number one it takes a special temperment and not all dogs have it.

Respond to this message

katsndogs
(Login katsndogs)
Totally agree- all those lab mixes are so smart-they make excellent
service dogs and look how many lab, sheperd and cattle dog mix puppies are PTD if they want to train just puppies--I could not agree with you more Kathryn-I see no reason to purposely breed dogs at all not when this country has an epidemic of dogs PTD in shelters and ac's !
Breeders can try to justify it however-no good reason -its about the almighty dollar! They are greedy ^&*%!

Respond to this message

dogluv
(Login dogluv)
FUNDRAISING GROUP
I'm surprised at your excuses
It's not acceptable to come on a rescue site and ask people to help a breeder. Even if the puppies need a surrogate mother she should NOT look to the rescue community who have so many homeless pets to save. She should contact breeders.

How did you get an email from a breeder, are you on breeders mailing lists?

Did you make a mistake by posting for a breeder?

And stop using service dogs as emotional blackmail. There are plenty of rescued pets and pets in KILL SHELTERS who are capable of being service dogs. There are also lots of beautiful, healthy Labradors euthanized in kill shelters who could have been service dogs. But breeders created pet "overpopulation".

I find it warped that you're comparing a shelter "screw up" to a breeder screw up, when breeders create pets and there are so many homeless pets, and breeders since they make PROFIT by EXPLOITING Animals should have the resources to deal with this event. I wouldn't expect a rescuer or true animal lover to take up rescuers' resources, or to defend breeders.

When there are millions of pets being killed, no breeder is responsible; they take homes aways from homeless pets, and because they all kill homeless pets.

Respond to this message

gshephlvr
(Login gshephlvr)
Moderators
responsible breeder yeah. She KILLED her dog with her responsiblity.
Breeders do not care about there dogs. If they did they would spay them and keep them healthy

Respond to this message

katsndogs
(Login katsndogs)
yup she probably so overbreed her she had weak system
and thats how she came to have the cardiac/respiratory arrest during the c-section BUT I still want to know what quack vet does not intubate or put a dog or a heart monitor or even a oxygen monitor they clip to ear that measures their oxygen sats --

Most dogs have breathing tube put in for spay and neuters and this vet did'nt do that for a major c-section-absolutely disgusting!

Breeders suck she is no diff than puppymill people!

Respond to this message

Kathryn
(Login kathryndhinkle)
Moderators
AND..I have a "breeder" dog in my laundry room..purebred Dachshund wth 4 puppies..just one MORE reason I dislike breeders...this purebred dog was found in a box in the ditch with her babies...probably dumped because her current litter appears to be mixed.

Respond to this message

Current Topic - 10 newborns need help - Mama on life support

A licensed rescue saving animals in Georgia's kill shelters

Thats terrible. If that had come to our shelter, we would have done everything for those babies. It is not ness. mistakes on the part of the breeder or the vet. Even if she had been on all the moniters, that doesn't always mean they will start breathing again, no matter how quick you notice. We had a dog being spayed at work, who was on all moniters. She stopped breathing and died despite the vet doing everything, including CPR on her.
Some people are so judgemental. There is nothing to suggest that the breeder was bad or that the vet was incompetant.

showpug

I think all the negative people are barking up the wrong tree. Seems to me that this sounds like a very reputable breeder who realizes that puppies benefit more from bitch milk and interacting with their dam than they ever would from bottle feeding! Foster dam or not, puppies do best when they have an adult example to teach them and we all know the benefits of colostrum and mother's milk! This is by far, the best possible scenario for puppies that lost their dam!

I am glad this story has a good ending...

Oh, for crying out loud. Someone has to neglect and abandon her puppies in order for them to get any help from those rescues, I see- they won't help someone trying to do the right thing, but I bet they'd be up in arms looking for a surrogate bitch if the newborns were dumped on their doorstep in a box, and verbal guns blazin' at anyone who didn't want to lend a hand. But let them have a loving home with a breeder who's trying to do right by them, and they deserve nothing...

bubbatd

The only thing wrong here is the owner of her poor Golden not being able to be with those pups 24/7 ............. She must be devastated , but so thankful the Poodle's owner stepped forward . Luckily all my whelps were successful .

In all honesty though it is never a good idea to send ANYTHING having to do with a breeder to a rescue group. I never would, becasue that is the reaction you will get, even if it is a reputable breeder.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Geez, those people sound very bitter. I'm with a rescue group, and we have no problem with REPUTABLE breeders! The ones we hate are the BYBs. One of my friends in rescue even has a whippet she bought from a reputable breeder (along with two other dogs from the shelter) who shows her dogs -she met this breeder at a dog show .

Anyhow, I'm just glad those puppies have a surrogate momma to nurse them.

Members online

No members online now.