Proplan

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
My dogs are currently on pro plan and doing very well on it. Rising cost of other foods available locally to me led to the switch. Both eat different varieties and both are doing well.

Hillside

Original Twin
Hello Goldiefur,
All Purina products are horrible and Proplan Select Chicken and Brown Rice is certainly no different.
It contains only one meat ingredient, chicken (which is 75% water) and is a huge 41% carbohydrates... dogs have a ZERO need for carbs and good kibble will be under 30% carbs... kibble must have starches (carbs) to act as a binder.

All these ingredients in Proplan Select Chicken and Brown Rice are horrible and must be avoided: brewers rice, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, animal fat, corn bran, animal digest, dried egg product, salt and menadione sodium bisulfite complex. .

Grain-free Fromm is OK, EVO (but they’ve had a voluntary recall after being bought by P&G), Orijen, Wellness Core... grain-free wet is better than kibble. Roger Biduk
A). Pro Plan Select chicken and brown rice contains not only chicken, but chicken meal. It does NOT contain any type of corn or corn product. Actually none of their Select line contains corn... Or by product meal.

B) EVO/Natura hasn't had A voluntary recall, they have had several in the last couple MONTHS. I can't recall anytime recently that Pro Plan has had a recall... At this point, I would far recommend ProPlan over any Natura product for that reason.

Nice try, maybe next time use some correct FACTS?

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
A). Pro Plan Select chicken and brown rice contains not only chicken, but chicken meal. It does NOT contain any type of corn or corn product. Actually none of their Select line contains corn... Or by product meal.

B) EVO/Natura hasn't had A voluntary recall, they have had several in the last couple MONTHS. I can't recall anytime recently that Pro Plan has had a recall... At this point, I would far recommend ProPlan over any Natura product for that reason.

Nice try, maybe next time use some correct FACTS?
Where is our applause emoticon?

Seriously... I feed raw and LOVE IT, but will proudly admit that I've fed Pro Plan in the past... and my dogs have done wonderfully on it. My breeder has fed Pro Plan since before it was even a Purina product... and guess what, her dogs have always done wonderfully on it as well.

Feed what works. Don't let the zealots get to you. Because unless they volunteer to foot the bill, it's really none of their business what YOU feed YOUR dog. ;)

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I like TOTW Puppy foods... I raised my last two fosters on it, my friend raised 3 on it, and they all look/grew up great! :) It's super cheap for GF too. Fromm is excellent, but more expensive.

If you want to stay on Pro Plan, it's a decent food. I know several GSDs and a Dobie who have serious digestive issues on anything but Pro Plan. I'd feed him a bag, let him adjust to his new home, and gradually switch if you don't like what you see. I'd imagine that a puppy would poop quite a bit more on Pro Plan than a kibble with higher meat content, so that's always a downfall!

Congrats on the new puppy! Where's the pics?

Where is our applause emoticon?

Seriously... I feed raw and LOVE IT, but will proudly admit that I've fed Pro Plan in the past... and my dogs have done wonderfully on it. My breeder has fed Pro Plan since before it was even a Purina product... and guess what, her dogs have always done wonderfully on it as well.

Feed what works. Don't let the zealots get to you. Because unless they volunteer to foot the bill, it's really none of their business what YOU feed YOUR dog. ;)
Huh? I didn't knew it wasn't originally from purina, wish company made it before?

I thought it was the Hi-pro who had a change in name, formula and got a separate line

Grab

I haven't fed it..here it's more costly than some of the grain free foods that my dogs do well on. The Chows' breeder fed (may still, not sure) Pro Plan and his dogs do fantastic. I have fed TOTW..my dogs do very well on it. Not what they're currently eating, since another brand had a great sale on their line of foods so we stocked up for the summer, but I have no issue feeding it again. No one has ever had an upset stomach, gas or skin issues. Brooks' breeder feeds TOTW and has not had issue.

Over all, though, I feed what works best for my dogs...with a plethora of dogs, no one wants a house full of diarrhea and itchy dogs:p.

Nog is going back to a premade raw diet, since that's what he does best on. He does ok on kibble, but has a bit of dry skin. It's probably due to his being partially stripped down, but he just looks better overall on raw. Since I can now have it shipped to my work, it's extra convenient. (even though I hate having to do separate diets)

Barb04

Super Moderator
The one reason I don't like the food is it contains "menadione sodium bisulfite complex" in it. There is much controversy over this ingredient. It's up to each person to decide what they think about this being in a food they feed.

StillandSilent

I'm currently in the middle of a proplan-related skin meltdown with Quiddich, so its a huge no from me.

He's had no skin issues since I brought him home and has been eating a blue buffalo/totw rotation. He spent one weekend at the shelter, which has switched to proplan, and now he's chewed a ton of hair off. I was actually embarassed to take him to work today, because he's so yeasty and nasty.

That said, it seems that a lot of dogs at work eat it with no Ill effects.

Members online

No members online now.