Question about my cat, Peanut

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
If this needs to be moved, please do it. I just have a quick question.

Ok Peanut has been living with my mom for the last 3 years.
I got him at 3 months old and he turned 5 years old this past Septmeber (holy smokes where does time go?!?!)

Anyways, I want him to come live with Michael and I. Desperately.
But I am a bit hestitate as he has lived with my mom and stepdad for 3 years, my niece and nephew live my mom also, and my sister lives there but will be moving back to college dorms in January. They also have an 8 year old Persian cat named Rosey and a 7-8 year old Black Lab named Midnight. Midnight and Rosey have pretty much grown up together and Peanut loves having them there very much.

Now my question is, would it be wise and in the best interest of Peanut to move him here with me? He is fine with kids but I am scared he won't adjust here with Michael's 2 sons (ages 6 and 9 years) who come at least every other weekend and his kids are more use to rough housing with their mom's big dogs and have never really been around cats unlike my niece and nephew, and I don't won't to stress Peanut out since he tends to do that pretty easily.

Totally off topic for a minute but next Spring (more than likely, possibly Summer) Michael and I are going to foster a dog (our Animal Shelter DESPERATELY needs foster homes and *right now*, we cannot get a dog at this house). I know how a lot of you feel about me getting a dog, but this is strictly a fostering situation, no owning. Fostering would be in our best interest and the best interest of the dogs at the AS.

But what should I do about Peanut? Any advice would be welcomed. I just want to do what is best for him.

Some cats don't miss a step when they're moved like that, others never get comfortable. Maybe give it a try for a time and see how he does, with the caveat that if he's not comfortable and happy he can go back to living with your mom?

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Some cats don't miss a step when they're moved like that, others never get comfortable. Maybe give it a try for a time and see how he does, with the caveat that if he's not comfortable and happy he can go back to living with your mom?
He can go back living with her.

My only issue is his stress. He stresses VERY easily. Worse than any animal I have ever seen.
It took him about 6 months to settle into mom's house but everytime I would come visit from dad's, he would just snuggle up to me and feel safe. Then I would have to leave to go back home (dad's at the time), and he would be just on edge so much.

I know I want him here with me, but I am really on the fence if he would still have that safe feeling being here with me. I mean he is comfortable at mom's and I don't want to over do it with him living here with me. It can get loud and noisy and a down right chaos here, not so much at mom's. Aside from his stress, he is a pretty sound cat once he gets comfy. But still... I don't know.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
From what you describe, Peanut sounds like he's more focused on WHO he is with than WHERE. Cats can be every bit as strongly bonded as dogs!
Sometimes I think Peanut is a dog LOL He was raised with dogs and never saw a cat until he moved in with momma and to this day, still thinks Rosey is some kind of alien LOL

Barb04

Super Moderator
Only in my opinion, if the cat stresses very easily and likes living at your mom's house, I would leave the cat there. The 2 children who like to play rough may stress the cat also. If you really want a cat, I would get your own and leave Peanut with your mom.

Fran27

I'd probably leave the cat there because he's bonded to the other cats, and cats like company. When I moved out I left my cat with my mom and got my own, after that I've moved 5 times and she's always adjusted well but she was always single cat (well, hubby had others at first but they died, and she never really got along that well with them).

Members online