Ranger Update

darkchild16

We are Home.
I just got the final opinion and its 2 to 3 no racing. So his life as a BR horse is over. I get to tell him tonight :( What else can i do with him that he would like? Cant be a school horse or pole horse. I HATE western pleasure. I feel so bad i feel like its all my fault :(

Saje

Island dweller
Trail can be a sport silly. He might be able to compete in endurance or competitive riding. There are trail courses in shows too. Haven't you ever been in one?

Saje

Island dweller
There are to shows for it. Or at least classes in a breed show. I've been to them. I suck at training the gate lol

Competitive trail riding is different from performance trail classes too. It's more like endurance but with different criteria. You might want to look into it.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I guess jumping is out too as that would put strain on the forelegs too.. Hmmm, what about Dressage, you could get into that at a low level, that wouldn't be too taxing, until you got to a seriously high level. And can be seriously addictive ;)

Saje

Island dweller
OMG reining would be great but if he cant' do barrels he probably can't rein. Too bad. It's so much fun!

BostonBanker

I think you are making a very wise decision, and I'm sure Ranger will appreciate you making that choice;) . He has a long, healthy life ahead of him, and a lot of options still available.

Hmmm, what about Dressage, you could get into that at a low level, that wouldn't be too taxing, until you got to a seriously high level. And can be seriously addictive
Seriously, seriously addictive! I was a strict h/j rider who had absolutely no interest in dressage. Then I got to ride a couple of my trainer's nice dressage horses...and that was it. It was like there was this whole new level of riding that I never knew existed. Being in a barn with a dressage trainer and a h/j team, I've seen a lot of die-hard, "dressage is boring" types converted!

BostonBanker

Also, if it's a front leg that was injured (which I believe it was), dressage will teach him how to carry more weight on his hindlegs and free up his front a bit. I knew a horse with fairly bad navicular who, as a hunter, was too lame to continue, but with some dressage work looked 95% better - it was all about getting the weight off his front feet.

darkchild16

We are Home.
no english for me. and hes never been trained in english LOL. Well im not keeping him. My friend who helped me raise him from day one wants a strict trail horse and loves him and he loves her. She understands his engery and knows what to do with it. (she was there when i found out). Its the best option for him and her. I will still get to see him and ride him whenever i want and in exchange im most likely adopting a BLM Stallion Mustang.

Sorry about Ranger. I know how disappojnting and heartbreaking this kind of thing can be. I'm glad you seem to have worked something out with your friend--sounds like Ranger will be fine for what she wants to do.
Are you going to barrel race the Mustang you want to get? I don't know much about about Mustangs although I have run across a few and they seem cool. Are you going to keep it a stallion? Ranger is a stallion too right? Do you prefer stallions for some reason?
I'm a gelding person myself, I like things as uncomplicated as possible LOL! Hope everything works out well with Ranger and good luck with finding your new horse. Keep us posted!

darkchild16

We are Home.
Well they will be stallions because i plan to breed Ranger one mroe time hes only been bred once and the mustang may be the start of my mustang stables. lol. Yes im going to barrel races with my mustang and used to have one with my ex he had a 3 year old stallion.

Friday he is going to see how he does if it goes right for the weekend and how it works out. If it doesnt work out im gonna keep him adn figure it out somehow unless his sires owner wants him those are the ONLY ONLY ONLY 2 people who will get him. I just hope if i do keep him he will be able to handle the work i will have to put him through at school and that lifestyle.

Members online

No members online now.