The Official "What are you reading" Thread

crazedACD

Read The Maze Runner. Liked it, it was interesting enough for a read. Not sure about finishing the series though (thoughts on the rest?).

Started on Game of Thrones. I liked it but I put it down and haven't picked it back up again :p. It's a little hard for me to remember all the characters though.

I picked up The Fault In Our Stars to listen to on a long drive. Ah. It's like...halfway realistic and beautiful, but then halfway predictable and corny. I didn't think the writing was particularly eloquent but then again I was listening to it. I couldn't decide if I liked their relationship. I have little interest in seeing the movie though.

Started the October Daye series awhile back and kind of forgot about it. Reread the first two and now am up to book 4. While so far its not one of my tops, I am enjoying it a lot.

Landshark

Love bites.
I'm reading all the Badass books by Ben Thompson. It's reads like Drunk History mixed with the sarcasm and satire of all the articles on Cracked.com. I finished reading Badass Ultimate Deathmatch and am currently reading through Badass The Birth Of A Legend. So far, I haven't been disappointed! It keeps me amused and laughing during long down times at work.

FG167

I just finished Gone Girl and Sharp Objects. WEIRD books.

I'm reading a slew of Jodi Piccoult books now. The one I'm on currently is Storyteller, it's heartrending - about the holocaust...

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Just picked up "The Bullet Catcher's Daughter" on a whim. Didn't know if I'd like it, but it's grabbed me and pulled me in. Not my usual genre (steampunk historical fiction), but I needed something different to get me out of the book rut I was in. It's definitely done the trick!

Fran27

Just finished The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss. It was... different. Can't say I didn't like it, but I didn't love it either.

Before that I finished the Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter Hamilton, it was pretty good, although not as good as his other stuff so far. Still looking forward for the second part.

Going to start the Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman next.

Fran27

Finished The Hobbit (VERY underwhelmed to say the least), Firefight by Brandon Sanderson (awesome, like the first), and now actually reading the Ocean at the End of the Lane (about half way through, pretty good so far).

Next is Prince Lestat by Anne Rice (I got SO excited when I saw that she started writing about vampires again, just had other things I wanted to read first).

Miakoda

I think you are the first person who has said that about the 3rd book! I've heard so many negative things about it that I actually haven't read it yet, because I'm scared to. Maybe I should?

I just started reading the first book Friday night and finished the third a couple hours ago.

My take on some of the horrible reviews of the final ending is that it wasn't want people wanted. I admit that I was a bit "...but WHY!?", but I do get it. I get the message and/or underlying theme, so it makes sense.

I thought they were very easy reading. Not the best writing ever, but not bad reading.

I have the movie dvr'd from HBO, but after the seeing the main actress, I can't make myself watch it. I find that she's a weak, whiny actress in everything she's in, so meh.

Fran27

I just started reading the first book Friday night and finished the third a couple hours ago.

My take on some of the horrible reviews of the final ending is that it wasn't want people wanted. I admit that I was a bit "...but WHY!?", but I do get it. I get the message and/or underlying theme, so it makes sense.

I thought they were very easy reading. Not the best writing ever, but not bad reading.

I have the movie dvr'd from HBO, but after the seeing the main actress, I can't make myself watch it. I find that she's a weak, whiny actress in everything she's in, so meh.
She would definitely not have been my first choice but she is ok. My mistake was listening to the audiobook and I thought the woman who read it was fantastic and it was a bit of a letdown compared to that... but overall I liked the movie.

I just finished the first book of the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks... Pretty good so far. Of course, only 3 out of 4 are out, and I wish I had known that before I started, but oh well.

PennyD

I'm rereading "Fear and Loathing" by Hunter S. Thompson for the first time in over five years. I'm definitely covering old ground, but it never disappoints!

-Penny D

Currently reading the fear in the sky series and going to try hunger games after this. On a trial run with kindle unlimited so giving a few different things a try. For recent good reads I got into Still Alice, but it makes you feel a little crazy. Ghost Boy was another powerful read. Finished the Maze Runner series a couple weeks ago and watched the movie. I'm going through about a book per day right now so going to use this thread for some inspiration.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Very slowly working on "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" from the Outlander series. It seems like I can't get any time to read lately and by the time I'm in bed and it's quiet in the house, I'm too tired.

I'm enjoying it like the others. The story does seem to meander around a bit but I'm hoping she brings a bunch of plot points to a close.

My favorite line, though, was when Rollo (Ian's wolf hybrid) came running up barking and trying to get her to follow and Claire says, "Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ, Timmy's in the goddamn well!" :rofl1:

Fran27

Can't seem to find the time to read either. Between errands, cooking, dishes, laundry, I can't even seem to find time when the kids are in school and I just can't read with them in the house... And at night by the time we've watched our shows, I'm ready to crash!

I'm in no rush though, the longer I take, the less I have to wait for the next book to come out :lol-sign:

Fran27

Still loving the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. I'm half way through the third one. Making it last though... 17 months before the next one comes out...

amberdyan

Still loving the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. I'm half way through the third one. Making it last though... 17 months before the next one comes out...
I was just thinking about starting that up after I finish what I'm on now. Glad you think it's good, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Girl In Reverse by Barbara Stuber. Not my normal type of reading material, but it was excellent. Gotta find more of her stuff.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
If You Feel Too Much by Jamie from TWLOHA (I cannot spell his name lol)

It's good, and I really need it right now. Kinda odd timing with everything going on that this book would come out, but I am glad it did. I'm not even finished, but Jamie's words are helping me a lot. Kinda hurts sometimes though because the way he words things reminds me of Nyx. And I found out about TWLOHA because of Nyx, but whatever.

Definately recommend giving If You Feel Too Much a go, especially if you're in a tough spot. I think I'm gonna give this book to my sister for graduation... Jamie is definitely a special guy.

Perhaps not the type of book you'd want to read in public though. Kinda hard to not start bawling because you realize how... Caring Jamie is. So believing in hope. It's very inspiring. I'm slowly coming around that people do need other people. Slowly.

That's a lot of rambling on and stuff, but seriously check this book out.

Members online