conformation showing

milos_mommy

does anyone know anywhere i can find some good information on showing a dog?

i need to first off, pick a breed i want. i currently own a jack russell and live with a wheaten, i've owned an american eskimo in the past. i really would like a large dog, and probably not a long-haired dog. i'm thinking something along the lines of a bull mastiff. i want to show with the AKC. i'd probably be getting the dog in about six months or so. he will live with my parents in a warmer climate with a good amount of land, and possibly spend some time with me in an apartment, but that wouldn't be his permanent residence. i'd like to breed eventually, when i'm older and own a home, and as for right now i think i'd go with a male dog. i want a dog that won't be very dog-aggressive. a high energy dog that will play. i love my jack russell to death but am looking for a bigger dog. some breeds i might consider:

boxer
bull mastiff
mastiff
labrador retriever
newfie (not sure about the hair, though).
weimeraner

i think right now a bull mastiff is my # 1 choice.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
The best thing you can do right now is go to conformation shows and start talking to breeders. Make sure to approach them at a time when they're not getting ready to go into the ring (they'll be less stressed, and more open to talking with you), and don't touch the dogs without asking permission first.

You've still got a big list of possible choices right now, many of which are polar opposites of one another on the personality/exercise/grooming requirements scale. You've also picked some breeds that are exceedingly difficult to owner-handle (IE: the breed ring for Boxers is really political, and it is often very difficult for newbies to finish a dog's championship without a handler).

Right now you're in the very beginning stages of deciding- so attend as many shows as possible, buy the catalog at the steward's table, and watch the breed rings. Mark down which dogs you like the best, and then talk to their owners/handlers at a convenient time. Explain your situation- are you interested in Jr. Showmanship as well? A lot of breeders are willing to let older, retired champions go to Junior's families. They may also be more likely to sell you a dog on a co-ownership.

Ask breeders about the ins and outs of the breed. What are personalities, exercise levels, grooming requirements, REALLY like? What is good about the breed, what is bad about it? If you get someone that seems WAY to eager to throw a puppy at you- you DON'T want one of their dogs.

Remember, when you're "shopping" for a puppy, you are ALSO "shopping" for a breeder; a LIFE-LONG mentor, who will be with you every step of the way. In fact, I would venture to say that THIS is really the most important part- finding a breeder you trust and respect. After all, presumably you'll be getting more than one dog from them: you want them to be the best you can find, and a person you can really learn from.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any more questions. :)

I agree with Tempura. First things first, you need to narrow down your selection! Realize that, even if you show and breed, the dog is ultimately going to be a pet. Make sure you choose a breed that you can live with for 10+ years, not just one that you think is pretty to show. Keep in mind too that hairy breeds (like the Newfie) require a lot more prep grooming than non-hairy breeds (like the Boxer) and Newfies shed a lot. I worked at a grooming salon, trust me, I know. :)

Also, showing and breeding is a huge investment of time, money, and emotion. Make sure you choose a breed that you are willing to sacrifice yourself for, one that you truly want to have a positive impact on. Decide what exactly you want to change/improve within the breed, as that will also determine the type of dogs (even within breeds) that you look at.

From the sound of your living situation (you in an apartment, your parents in a house), I suggest you go for a lower energy level breed. If you want to be successful in the ring you're going to have to work with the dog daily, so having "split custody" with your parents isn't really going to help.

Like Tempura suggested, go to shows. Not only will you see the breeds you're interested in, but you'll also get to see what it's like to show dogs. To help choose a breed you can also look at the parent club's website and even contact some of the breeders you find interesting. A tip tho: as you come up with questions, write them down and look for answers on the internet or the breeders site first. Breeders are busy people, so try not to waste their time with redundant questions that you could answer yourself! Another thing to remember is that a lot of breeders don't take emails seriously, so you should email AND call.

Once you pick a breed, join the parent club and get ahold of some breed-specific books. Memorize and understand the standard. Not just what is required, but why. Learn the history of your breed and how that influences it's conformation and temperament. If you really want to get into it, get some books on dog anatomy and physiology, as well as movement and genetics. Educate yourself as much as possible.

One thing you could do now, with your JRT, is take him to some handling classes just to get the feel of things. Even though he won't be showing, you will be learning how to handle.

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
Couldn't agree more with everything that was posted above. We are currently looking at a litter of bullmastiffs for our next show prospect, and like everyone else said, even thou. I've been around the show life/ring almost all my life, I still went and watched and talked to people around the bullmastiff ring because its a totally different type of dog. Finding a mentor once you have picked your breed will be invaluable to you. Thats what alot of people do, and it really pays off instead of "going it alone"

Like others above said, its key to narrow down the breed that you want. Research each one in and out, talking to everyone you meet and always remember.. this will be a pet first, show dog second.

I loved the idea someone said about taking your dog to handling classes, even thou your not planning to show your JRT. You will gain a wealth of knowledge and see how the show ring works. As for some of the breeds listed, they can be *very* political ( boxer, lab, newfie) so you will need to learn what to expect as far as making your dog look the best it can in a ring full of professionals. It just takes practice!

Good Luck and keep us updated!

showpug

My very close friend breeds and shows bullmastiffs. She is also a vet. I can honestly say don't get a male your first time around with the breed, especially if you don't want a dog aggressive dog. Intact male bullmastiffs generally don't tolerate other males very well. Other than that, I think they are incredible dogs.

Others have given great advice. My last recommendation would be that you get this book. It helped me so much in the beginning and is a really great, easy to understand book: http://www.thewelltraineddog.com/

Hey Showpug, I agree with you, that book is extremely helpful! I have it myself and it's very useful and easy to follow.

Members online

No members online now.