Labradoodle Anyone?

bubbatd

Dober , this is food for thought . After owning my beloved Goldens for over 60 years and now to hear from many here saying they are biting and growling really bothers me . When I have gone to our Indy Golden club meetings , I never see any of this . I would say that a least 3/4 of the members show and/ or breed . I hate to see this breed ruined .

otch1

I was made aware of these babies a few days ago and also saw this on the news tonight. A client of mine is making the drive to go see them. I'm hoping they adopt one and it will them come visit "auntie otch" whenever they have to go out of town. Dr2, your dog's beautiful... another one, like your Brussels. that I have "puppy envy" over. Lol! And Grammy (if it's o.k. to call you that as I'm still relatively new here) you have an amazingly "open" heart. Always positive and kind. Your kids and animals are lucky to have you.

BSan

wet nose and a Herbie hug back to you Bubba!

Last edited:

BSan

oops! time flies! been having some late nights since I began on Chaz. Time to catch some zzzzzzzzzzz's

Xyourloco .... What is Downs syndrome looking ???
you guys seem to have taken it the wrong way. It's the internet... everyone these days seems to.

They have droopy eyes and they look depressed... they just dont look right "to me". In the newspaper ad's there's TONS of labradoodle's up for sale and they stay up for sale for months. I dont understand why there are so many in my area with such little to no demand. It's becoming a "fad" for most.

There are those few who really love the breed for what they are and not because other people think they're "neat". Like Dr.2little and the others on this board. My hat goes off to them... But as i stated earlier, i dont see the need of cross breeding like this excpet for people to make money off the dogs. :( Thats just my opinion.

When i speak I can be very blunt, I dont sugar coat things. (why should I) I get right to the point and dont lie about most things. If i dont like someone I'll tell them in their face. Thats just who i am.. I dont go around "acting" like i like someone or something.

You guys might have taken it that i meant "the dog looks retarded". That is hardly the case. When did i ever say it looked like a kid with downs syndrome? I simply stated like it had downs syndrome qualities. I swear people take someones statements and totally change the context. Downs syndrome isnt a "person" it's a syndrome with distinct qualities.

If i offended anyone, than i apologize. It wasnt my intentions.

Last edited:

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Well that took some guts to come back here and apologise after everyone got so upset - and rightly so. It was quite an offensive comment. But it's often hard to get your true intentions across in the written word, on an internet forum where nobody knows your face or your intonation or your intentions. So I'm pleased you came back to explain.

If you have a look at the link I provided earlier, the need for cross breeding like this is pointed out quite clearly. However, that is only in the case of the Labradoodle - the other doodle mixes I couldn't agree more are simply produced for profit and nothing else.

nancy2394

you guys seem to have taken it the wrong way. It's the internet... everyone these days seems to.

They have droopy eyes and they look depressed... they just dont look right "to me". In the newspaper ad's there's TONS of labradoodle's up for sale and they stay up for sale for months. I dont understand why there are so many in my area with such little to no demand. It's becoming a "fad" for most.

There are those few who really love the breed for what they are and not because other people think they're "neat". Like Dr.2little and the others on this board. My hat goes off to them... But as i stated earlier, i dont see the need of cross breeding like this excpet for people to make money off the dogs. :( Thats just my opinion.

When i speak I can be very blunt, I dont sugar coat things. (why should I) I get right to the point and dont lie about most things. If i dont like someone I'll tell them in their face. Thats just who i am.. I dont go around "acting" like i like someone or something.

You guys might have taken it that i meant "the dog looks retarded". That is hardly the case. When did i ever say it looked like a kid with downs syndrome? I simply stated like it had downs syndrome qualities. I swear people take someones statements and totally change the context. Downs syndrome isnt a "person" it's a syndrome with distinct qualities.

If i offended anyone, than i apologize. It wasnt my intentions.
I'm glad you came back to apologize too. We often say things without thinking and don't take into consideration how our comments could affect some people. To refer to a dog as looking downs syndrome was I'm sure quite the insult to those who have downs syndrome children or grandchildren. Yes downs syndrome is a syndrome and not person. But the syndrome defines the person. There are little faces behind the syndrome that are indeed real people.

So, as you can imagine... it upset some people. It is hard to understand how comments are meant online. I too can be blunt at times and not candy coat things... but I try real hard to read my comments and try and view them from another person's perspective to see if they would be found offensive.

And just for the record... downs syndrome people have the outer canthus of their eyes that slant downward.. not exactly what I would call "droopy" and I don't think I've ever seen a depressed looking down syndrome child.. to the contrary, they are full of smiles most of the time. :D

bubbatd

Wish I could post a picture of our Nash here !! The biggest most beautiful eyes and smile !

Doberluv

In an effort to establish and verify pedigrees for Labradoodles blood lines, provide ancestry of registered lines completely transparent to the public (no hidden in breeding or additional infused breeds), re focus the efforts of breeders on health testing previously untested lines, promoting Labradoodle to Labradoodle breeding with consistent results, and bring in new Labrador to Poodle only lines to widen the gene pool of top quality Labradoodles, organizations were established to monitor the formation of these incredible dogs.
Interesting Rubylove. That's what I'm talking about.....the occassional, but monitored infusion of a Labrador and/or Poodle to Labradoodle breeding to widen the gene pool. Sounds like they're tring to prevent too much inbreeding or even line breeding by doing that....therefore, lessening the propensity to genetic mutations....defects.

That's a systematic breeding program they've got going....pretty interesting. Yes, I think that breed has it's niche where there may not be another breed to fill. The temperament of the Lab and Poodle, the intelligence, the hunting/retrieving qualities which make them work along side man rather than a more independent type breed, the hypoallergenic and non-shedding coat, the sturdiness of the Lab.....it would make a wonderful guide dog for someone who has allergies or needs the non-shedding or less-shedding, whatever. I think they're really a nice breed which seems to be coming along as far as being a fixed type. Thanks for sharing that Rubylove.

BSan

xyo, glad you came back to apologize. Check out/google Mauzy's Musings........... a very sweet website with wonderful pictures, and smiles :)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Wish I could post a picture of our Nash here !! The biggest most beautiful eyes and smile !
I would love to see pictures of him :D I think that children with Down's Syndrome are absolutely adorable! My friend has a sister with Down's Syndrome, she is so cute... especially when she interacts with my dogs!

bubbatd

Thanks again folks !! Nash's Mom has read these posts and hopes to get on Chaz again soon . She'd better with Nash's Golden puppy joining the family next month !!!! There's a picture of Nash and my Ollie floating around here ....maybe a mod would post it . Grammy doesn't know how . ( DUH!) XYO ... truce . We all say things we wish we could take back ! I don't even use the word " retarded " anymore when refering to anything living . Mentally challenged . While I'm on my soapbox : Dr.Down didn't have the sydrome ....therefore it's not " Down's " ..... T21 was just named after him as he discovered it .( Steps down ...)

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
The temperament of the Lab and Poodle, the intelligence, the hunting/retrieving qualities which make them work along side man rather than a more independent type breed, the hypoallergenic and non-shedding coat, the sturdiness of the Lab.....it would make a wonderful guide dog for someone who has allergies or needs the non-shedding or less-shedding, whatever. I think they're really a nice breed which seems to be coming along as far as being a fixed type. Thanks for sharing that Rubylove.
Before I got Ruby I was a dedicated, no-nonsense GSD girl, and thought I always would be. Max asked the other night - when it comes time to get our next dogs, what should we get? Of course `rescue' was the first answer that sprang to both of our minds, but we thought for a while and finally said, `I would only get another Labradoodle'. Honestly, I wish that you guys could meet our dogs. They are amazing, there is no other word for it. I have never come across such plain joy in another dog. They are comical and cheeky, dignified and wise, intelligent and inquisitive, happy and so full of curiosity and enthusiasm - it's just a delightful combination of lovely traits that makes them what they are. And the low-shedding is such a bonus (especially after owning GSDs!!) They really barely shed at all, they need their faces clipped once every three months (if that) they are big but not too big, they are athletic and dextrous - so many things. And a joy (and I mean pure joy) to train.

I know there's other dogs out there with all of these qualities too, I think all dogs are wonderful, but I am daily, more than once a day, reminded of what incredible creatures I have when a lovely combination of personality comes out in them - smart enough to open the back door and then silly enough to come barrelling inside and throw themselves at you for another cuddle - just pure delight, is the Labradoodle. I hope one day you all get a chance to interact with one for an extended period - you will be as enchanted as we are!! :D

Doberluv

A-w-w-w...what a nice tribute and description. They do sound delightful! I wish I could meet your babies and Dr2little's too, of course.

Members online