Why is my pup so strange?

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
My Lizzie doesnt act like a puppy at all, I find it so unsettling. Shes 6 months old and she doesnt bark, she doesnt chew, she doesnt bite, she isnt constantly in your face. She has such a laid back attitude she spends most of her day sleeping. Right now shes dozing and has been asleep all day, except for when I take her out to potty.

She is a picky eater (used to eat raw in the evenings but now she doesnt want to) has a sensitive stomach, is skinny as a stick. I can go ON AND ON. I know she isnt sick I just find it so strange that such a young puppy is so laid back, 100% house trained, and being a herding breed from herding lines is so content to just lay on the floor and go to sleep all day.

I love her to death but im so confused, puppies are not supposed to be like this! Help!

Roxy's CD

Hades was like that. The only time he'd chew anything was if we left him alone not crated, he was destructive, serious separation anxiety.

BUT other than that, he didn't chew on anything, STILL doesn't bark really etc.

Believe me it was a nice surprise compared to Roxy as a puppy. I think it's just some dogs mentalities, like people, they're quieter more laid back.

If you think it's something more I'd take her to the vet, but Hades sounds similar. He wasn't the typical puppy. Very quiet, just liked to cuddle.

Pups are alot like people - they each have their own distinct personality. Some are much more laid back while others are always looking for something to do. While my 2 poodles are very similar in many ways, Farley is the whirlwind and Chloe is calmer. But Farley is the one who will snuggle with me and Chloe loves the pace & challenge of agility.

LOL!!!

Hondo is like that. He follows me everywhere but when I stop he plops on the floor. He is very laid back. He rarely barks (only when he went through a dog playing thing, where he wanted to play with other dogs and barked at them). Now, once you build up his drive he is a maniac but very quickly comes out of drive and becomes his lazy butt again. Never gets into trouble, doesnt pee or poo in the house, life is good, :D . Its just certain dogs personalities.

bubbatd

...... and ain't it grand !!! Ollie is settling in so well .... still have to watch his counter surfing and papers snatches , but he's never marked ! I had EliN's Hunter here for a week and took both up to other daughter's new house ..... Hunter was picked up there. Both dogs were loose and stayed in the yard ( No fence ) When Hunter left, I let Ollie investigate new house. Checked out every room and layed down next to my feet.

Strange Pup

Well I have a strange pup than too! Wrigley has never destroyed anything, he does not bark and is completely potty trained (he is almost 7 mo). He is quite happy playing by himself and really doesn't get into any trouble--so be thankful!! I am!!

Hailey

One of my sibes is the same way, she was very mature for a puppy, potty trained the first day home, like she has lived with us for years, very lazy, and laid back. She has never had to use a crate, could always be completely trusted, I call it old dog syndrome. She will do her job when we go out sledding, hiking, skijoring, etc. but on her down time she likes to lay around, and do nothing. It was weird, because we got her shortly after our other sibe passed away, and I told my husband, it's like Hailey never died, Mariya just fell right into where Hailey left off. I guess it was a blessing, no major puppy issues to deal with.

tinksmama

hmmmm..... next time I get a puppy,I'll have you guys pick one out for me!:D Scrappy is now 10,and very likable, but i swear I thought I'd kill her for the first 2 years of her life... we still have the couch she partially ate as a puppy....
And Tinkerbell, i won't even go there...suffice it to say, I love her dearly, but I wish I had a laid back mellow puppy! Oh well, my life wouldn't be half as exciting if i didn't have to worry a lot....:eek:

Members online

No members online now.