Manual DSLR walk...in RAW...help please!

FG167

Ok, took the dogs for a hike yesterday to give manual/RAW a try. Thank goodness I shot in RAW because I had to do *a lot* of post-processing! We walked on a road with a lot of trees and the light was very stripe-y. My dogs are all different colors - two very dark, one dark with light markings, and one very light with dark markings. Anyway, I struggled with my settings and managed to get a few pics that I liked ok...not my faves but not terrible.

So, suggestions? I am going to go on the same trail again today, but it is way overcast so hopefully it will be easier...also, what do I do about when I am focusing on Kastle and then switch to Eden - do I have to change the settings or do I settle for some happy middle ground?

Finally, what kind of focus do you recommend? I left it on autofocus but I'm not happy. I usually used sport mode so I had one little focus square and could choose what I wanted it to focus on - I loved that. Is there a way to do that? What if I want to focus on two dogs in slightly different planes? Do I fogus on one and then adjust the aperture? Then, if I choose to take a wide shot of the scenery, and I focus in the middle, will it be an unpleasant shot? Help me!

My little wolf...with the green ball haha

I told him to out...he didn't want to - little brat.

This is his stress face...the ball has rolled away behind him LOL

Good boy

My masculine guard

Recall practice, who will win?

Crazy Kelpie - his eyes just do not condone themselves for looking...well, "normal". Perhaps he should join the Lemur club?

Legs, they are ridiculous

when it changes light like that, it is difficult, at least what I've found. i'm no expert by any means. I was taking pics off my MIL's back deck this weekend, and in the shaded areas the pics were good, in the sun they were so over exposed it was ridiculous, and the settings for the sun made all the shade pictures way too dark :)

Either you have to get fast and have the experience to fall back on to make those adjustments quickly, or suffer through some bad pics till you get that experience :) at least that's how i'm approaching it.

I think it might help to use the AV or TV mode so you don't have to worry about as many settings at once to get good shots until you're more comfortable with them. at least it sounds like a good idea, but I"m saying screw it, all in for Manual till I get it right

As for the focal spot, you can change that in Manual mode and others. it can pick multiples, the center spot, or any single point in your array. It's not hard, but i'm not that camera savy yet, so without my camera in front of me, I can't tell you how to do it :p

Taqroy

Finally, what kind of focus do you recommend? I left it on autofocus but I'm not happy. I usually used sport mode so I had one little focus square and could choose what I wanted it to focus on - I loved that. Is there a way to do that? What if I want to focus on two dogs in slightly different planes? Do I fogus on one and then adjust the aperture? Then, if I choose to take a wide shot of the scenery, and I focus in the middle, will it be an unpleasant shot? Help me!
I REALLY want to know the answer to these questions. I've been following the other thread and have played with the settings on my camera but I'm so freaking slow. And have yet to actually take anything in focus.

This picture? Was number one on my favorites.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Not related to the photos but where did you get that ball and what is it called??? My friend is looking for one just like that as her other one got destroyed but she's had it so long she can't remember what it is.

FG167

Ordered two books specific to my camera, and a second battery :)

I REALLY want to know the answer to these questions. I've been following the other thread and have played with the settings on my camera but I'm so freaking slow. And have yet to actually take anything in focus.

This picture? Was number one on my favorites.
Yay! We are learning together :)

That's his is-this-good-enough-to-count-as-an-out face. He is checking to see if I'm still watching/waiting for a "real" out.

as for focus, I use one shot or AI servo for burst shooting action shots, at least that's what I'm playing around with.
Awesome, I read about them in my manual but wasn't sure what they did and promptly forgot that I read that until you said this. I will give it a whirl.

Not related to the photos but where did you get that ball and what is it called??? My friend is looking for one just like that as her other one got destroyed but she's had it so long she can't remember what it is.
Large everlasting fun ball. I've seen them *everywhere* lately - PSP is where we got this one.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Ok, took the dogs for a hike yesterday to give manual/RAW a try. Thank goodness I shot in RAW because I had to do *a lot* of post-processing! We walked on a road with a lot of trees and the light was very stripe-y. My dogs are all different colors - two very dark, one dark with light markings, and one very light with dark markings. Anyway, I struggled with my settings and managed to get a few pics that I liked ok...not my faves but not terrible.

So, suggestions? I am going to go on the same trail again today, but it is way overcast so hopefully it will be easier...also, what do I do about when I am focusing on Kastle and then switch to Eden - do I have to change the settings or do I settle for some happy middle ground?
For the lighting we ALL battle this. I often just schuck my photos after this type of light battling. The best option however is to pinpoint your internal light meter on your point of focus and balance your exposure (shutter/aperture) at that point, then go back and readjust the background in production if it is too messy. So, yes, it takes speed but also it take patience of shooting 10 knowing one may be best. In this type of light I also shoot over/under (exposure) a lot because it can be hard to tell for sure which is best is best until you've uploaded them onto a computer.

When you're focusing on dog to dog you definitely need to adjust your settings, Shamoo takes completely different settings than Arnold and the Malinois, and there are even some smaller adjustments between those three depending on the light.

You'll need to change your focal point, I explained it in the other thread for canon users but Nikon will be reverse usually. If you want to focus on two dogs on different plains you'll need to open your DoF (bigger aperture number).

As for where to focus it's recommended to follow the rule of thirds, it's generally the most pleasing to the eye. Rules are meant to be broken but you can only purposefully break rules if you understand them. (Try this for a starter place)

Lastly... HOLY LEGS! When did Limit sprout those??

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I have nothing to offer in terms of picture-taking as I'm still trying to get a grasp on it all, but I LOVE seeing pics of your crew. Limit is getting SO big, Kastle just has the most lovely expressions, and I love Eden. She's beautiful <3

I think you do a great job of capturing your dogs' personalities in your photos.

FG167

As for where to focus it's recommended to follow the rule of thirds, it's generally the most pleasing to the eye. Rules are meant to be broken but you can only purposefully break rules if you understand them. (Try this for a starter place)

Lastly... HOLY LEGS! When did Limit sprout those??
Hm, I never heard this rule. I went overboard with it today to see what I though, nothing like giving it all a try!

I don't know! I feel like I took photos and was not at all expecting what I saw when I uploaded them. He doesn't seem so leggy in real life...

I think you do a great job of capturing your dogs' personalities in your photos.
Thank you! This is really what I am trying to achieve in my photography. I do want them to look good, but it's more important that I can look back on my photos someday and remember how they were - that the photos represent who they are. If that makes sense.

Brought out the camera again today. It was cold, overcast, and snowing. And I had a breakthrough. Part of my struggle is that I go by what the meter is telling me is good exposure, but I definitely prefer my photos to be overexposed. I had no idea! I took *way* too many, but I was so happy that they were starting to turn out into what I wanted. These are my faves...

Kastle's new toy...

Snitch was a challenge for me...

My wolfie

Milk mustache

The next toy

Handsome head tilt

The throne of Snitchy!

FG167

Kastle went in the river! I was totally floored! Not only did he go in there, he went in there multiple times - and tried to catch fish! I am totally shocked! It was 25 degrees today...and snowing.

Limit was so pissed that Kastle was having fun without him. He barked, barked, and then finally raced up a downed tree to see what the fuss was about - thinking he'd be super sneaky and stay dry...and he fell in LOL

My wet, frozen little guys

Members online

No members online now.