Suggestions please!

Becca_

chowchow
Please give me some suggestions so my house doesnt get destroyed. Kokomo is unruley. He's hyper and makes Princess look calm. He's in need of alot of teaching. Biggest problem, he's a door scratcher.
Due to her work hours she and Kokomo will go to bed several hours before we will. They will get up an hour before I do. I'm worried he will want in my room in the mornings because of my dogs and will scratch at our bedroom door, or even at night want out of his bedroom and will scratch at her bedroom door. We just put in all new bedroom doors and do not want them tore up by his need to scratch (she had to replace a door at the place she rents because he put a hole right thru the bedroom door). My dogs are not scratchers. They dont even scratch to come in from outside. Can anyone think of ways to teach him not to scratch at doors?

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
Put him in a crate when he can't be supervised or else the behavior will continue, and too much money will be spent on new doors and God knows what else.

I have to agree with this one... The other option is to get a spray bottle, fill it with water and squirt him while giving the down command when he's scratching at the door. After a few squirts all you should have to do is show him the bottle and he'll get the message. I do this with mine when they are outside barking like crazy, I give them the "hush" command and if they don't stop they all get a squirt in the face, trust me that normally is the last bark at that time.

Becca_

chowchow
She wont go with the crate, already tried to convince he needed one. I will try the bottle. I might not even have to. I'm hoping once he's here full time he will settle down. When I puppy sat him I had him calming down. He's had no routine at home and no real teaching. Once here he will have to learn to go by my rules. I'll try the spray bottle if he does the scratching.

RoxyBoxer

my dog hated the crate to begin with but i figure some sad eyes when i leave for a while is better then a 250 dollar door 20$$$ blinds, 10$$ of food and a pee stain on my rug. now sometimes roxy actually goes in by herself and lays down in the day when we are still here.

Members online

No members online now.