Jack Russells and a new puppy? Breed considerations?

Hann

Hello first time posting. Thanks for having me. I hope this is an appropriate forum for this question - if not, please direct me if possible.

Does anyone have experience introducing a new dog into a home with Jack Russells? Does anyone have feedback or advice about particular breeds getting along with each other? Our doggies are very sweet and affectionate and I have this "fantasy" that they will love a new puppy but -- I am not a dog so what do i know ;)

I am looking for feedback about bringing a new puppy into our home. We have two Jack Russell females (sisters) 8 years old. No children in the home; large backyard for play and exercise; big house. These two doggies don't socialize well with other dogs for the most part - when the two are together they tend to pack and become aggressive toward other dogs - but sometimes there is no problem at all.

We are limited as to what breed to bring home due to allergies. I'm thinking about a (1) basenji, (2) standard poodle, (3) bedlington terrier, (4) westhighland terrier

Thanks for your thoughts - Heather

Dekka

Just try me..
Ohh can I answer that one! :D

I breed JRTs and foster for the JRTRO, have a couple of long haired whippets a BC. as well as have friends with dogs come over and stay for extended periods.

First off get a male puppy. You are lucky you have 2 females that get along. I have a soft spot for basenjis (I want one someday). You want a non confrontaional breed. A westie would likely be a BAD idea.. well actually any terrier could be bad if they have a history of iffyness with even male dogs. The poodle could work.

I love the whippets with the JRTs.. they get along great!

Be prepared to crate and rotate if they don't all get a long. As well NEVER EVER EVER leave the new pup alone with the 2 dogs!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
What dekka said. lol

id also suggest a male and NOT another terrier. A poodle would probably be perfect :) I love standard poodles, beautiful dogs but also lots of fun! great at sports, swimming, and pretty much any activity

My neighbors standard poodle outplays my german shepherd!.. not to mention he doesn't shed!! lol

Do you have any pictures of your jack russells by any chance?? lol we love pictures

YodelDogs

I agree with those who say a male would work better than a female and I would strongly suggest a puppy over an adult dog. A Standard Poodle would most likely be the least confrontational although, depending on the personalities of the individual dogs, a Basenji could work. (Long time Basenji person here. If you have questions about the breed feel free to ask.) :)

Doberdogs

Living on Doberman Drive
A Standard Poodle would most likely be the least confrontational although, depending on the personalities of the individual dogs, a Basenji could work. (Long time Basenji person here. If you have questions about the breed feel free to ask.) :)
I do have a question for you, do you have a site? I would LOVE to look at some pictures of your dogs! Such a cute breed...

Members online

No members online now.