It's Me or the Dog - Boxers?

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
Has anyone else noticed that Boxers seem to be a popular breed on the show? Are people that are bringing the breed home not doing their research? Or is there another reason?

Or maybe I'm just imagining things :)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
They're gaining in popularity I think - I know when I was in high school, they were being touted as the "ideal family dog". I think they're great dogs, but not for everyone.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I think part of the reason is because of the insane amount of energy they need and most of the people on IMOTD live in apartments or think walking a boxer around the neighborhood will be enough.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I have only known one as a neighbor's dog. The family was an out of control horror storry. They had half a dozen kids that i am quite sure would have been hit by cars on more then one occasion if it wasn't for that dog. WHen the children were taken away by the state the horrid woman came over and asked me if i wanted to buy her dog for 200 dollars. I tell you if i could have scraped it together i would have. I cried. I have no idea what happened to that boxer.

ACooper

I think part of the reason is because of the insane amount of energy they need and most of the people on IMOTD live in apartments or think walking a boxer around the neighborhood will be enough.
I agree. Boxers are GREAT dogs, but I don't think the average person realizes just how much energy/work they are.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I, personally, see SO many unruly Boxers with clueless owners... I think a lot of people see the bully face, and they assume that this is a lazy, easy going breed. Plus, they are right up there in the top 10 AKC breeds, because they do have a goofy personality, but they are also a WORKING breed.

There is a lady in my Obedience classes with a 10 month-old intact Boxer, who is incredibly lax and annoying. She always stands right next to me and Fozzie in class. Her Boxer literally stares intensely at Fozzie the entire duration of the class, yanking and making an assortment of noises. When we are practicing stays or recalls, he breaks them multiple times to get up in Fozzie's face in an aggressive manner (and there is a no dogs meeting on leash rule in our classes). It is great practice for Fozzie's obedience, but she clearly has no idea what she's doing, and I have a feeling it will only get worse as he grows up. He is just constantly "on", bouncing off the walls, and she is a little, older/middle-aged quiet lady who doesn't even try to get his focus most of the time. He's a beautiful boy, too, I wish he had an owner who could actually handle him.

Can you stand another agreement? :D

I have never heard Boxers called "ideal family dogs" ... but they do seem to be gaining in popularity ... and they are VERY high energy, goofy, powerful dogs. Probably more DOG than a lot of people can handle, especially in a living arrangement like an apartment. :yikes:

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I, personally, see SO many unruly Boxers with clueless owners... I think a lot of people see the bully face, and they assume that this is a lazy, easy going breed. Plus, they are right up there in the top 10 AKC breeds, because they do have a goofy personality, but they are also a WORKING breed.

There is a lady in my Obedience classes with a 10 month-old intact Boxer, who is incredibly lax and annoying. She always stands right next to me and Fozzie in class. Her Boxer literally stares intensely at Fozzie the entire duration of the class, yanking and making an assortment of noises. When we are practicing stays or recalls, he breaks them multiple times to get up in Fozzie's face in an aggressive manner (and there is a no dogs meeting on leash rule in our classes). It is great practice for Fozzie's obedience, but she clearly has no idea what she's doing, and I have a feeling it will only get worse as he grows up. He is just constantly "on", bouncing off the walls, and she is a little, older/middle-aged quiet lady who doesn't even try to get his focus most of the time. He's a beautiful boy, too, I wish he had an owner who could actually handle him.
I knew an older lady with a young golden retriever (8 months or something) who was this way. Young golden retrievers can be just as hard to deal with as a young, hyper boxer. The woman I knew really should have gotten an adult rescue dog or something with training under its belt, not a crazy puppy.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i think its like all other breeds...
too many people buying dogs without a clue of what the breed is like...

boxers are playfull high energey and tend to be in puppyhood for a while, they love to run and play and need a special home who understands the traingn time and energy needed for this breed...

Members online