Is this the best choice?

I have a middle sized house with quite small rooms and the only possible place for a dog to sleep would be in the hallway(it's nice, large, warm and cosy. Can you suggested what breed Will fit in my house and be cosy.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I live in a tiny house..the size of most people's garage...i have a labrador, and a hyper pointer too. The size of dog, depends on how much of you you have to give. I take Victor for lots of walks so our house size is a moot point..I personally do not like to deal with hair (my vet laughed at me and said isn't it a wonder how many groomers have short haired dogs) (i only groomed for one year and that was ENOUGH OF THAT) anyway i think you should study what your energy level is. I told my Diva daughter that i thought the only dog for her would be a clumber spaniel, or a very very very old dog. What kind of dog sings to your heart? And have you checked PETSAVER.COM?

gapeach

Big Mutts
We live in a single wide trailer but we also have a big mutt, Carey prob. weighs close to hundred lbs. But she sleeps in our room on a homemade bed. Like smkie says it all depends on how much you can give. We live in the country so we let Carey out a lot during the day (I stay at home with Maggie)She chases squirrels and birds, and she loves to play fetch. I know a lot of folks can't believe I have Carey inside they figure she is an outside dog, but then the're just not one of the family.

This is a tiny little farm house - I mean tiny - and cluttered. In this house are two Fila Brasileiros and a "little" German Shepherd/wolf mix.

Some days the house is smaller than others. :eek:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I thought 700 sq ft was small but this place beats all..i took a pic yesterday to do a before and after on the garden..when i get it processed i will post..the only place i have to put frames and extra paper is behind and under the sofa..i had to get rid of 75 percent of my closet (which wasn't such a bad thing) taking my dresses to my Mom's. The good thing is my heat bill highest was only 150 dollars this winter and i like to be warm. I look at those huge houses they are building and think granted i would like at least one or two more room, but i would never want the responsibitly of all that.especially heating those vaulted ceilings! Aaron really misses his basement..so do i when this living room fills up with big boys..you can almost feel the oxygen decrease!

My old Victorian stays toasty in the winter. Gas furnace - wonderful invention! It doesn't cost much to heat, either. It's cool in the summer - big trees all around and I put in one of those whole-house fans to pull the cool air through. Ten foot ceilings, big rooms, lots of room for artwork on the walls, nice big, soft, comfy furniture. You'd laugh at me; I've got my big king-size bed piled up with two feather beds, a down comforter, and at least a dozen big pillows. Remember the story of the princess and the pea? That's me! Bimmer and Gomez and I used to pile up in the bed and watch cartoons on Saturday mornings . . .

I've got to at least start working there during the day when I'm not out in some courthouse somewhere. I'm going nuts being cooped up.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Sounds WONDERFUL..i had a feather mattress before the fire, we did save it, but it was to smokey after that to use and got passed down to a dog bed..much to Victor's delight when he first came home. I miss it..we all need to be princesses at the end of our hard serf days!

Thanks for the replies, I really really want a labrador but my mom will not let me. She said I can have on when I leave home. I am not even allowed a guinea pig. Only a hamster and fish. I would want a jack Russell terrier though. They are quite a small breed and need a long walk or a few don't they? We have a large garden. I don't want my dog to live outside. Would anything harm he/she?

More suggestions. xxx

Hi again, I have just been looking on dogbreedinfo.com and found out some information about dogs. The best kind for me and my mom and house. Would be the English Toy Spaniel or any other spaniel type. What do you think?

Hi, Shazzy - A Jack Russell needs a lot more than a couple of long walks. They have more energy than most other dogs - on the same level as a Border Collie.

I really think you'll find the right dog, especially since your Mom isn't terribly enthusiastic, if you'll go to the animal shelter and choose a dog that's not a young puppy - maybe one that's two or three years old. Your Mom's probably not up for all the work that goes with a puppy. Even if you're home on summer vacation and can do most of it, puppies require a lot of effort from everyone in the home. And if you get the dog at a shelter it will either already be spayed or neutered or they will have the spay/neuter fee in the adoption fee - at least that's how all the shelters I've dealt with have handled things.

With the Spaniels you've got to remember that you're going to be dealing with longish hair, and your Mom might not appreciate that a whole lot, lol!

Jack Russell Terriers are VERY high-energy. You'll have to clip a leash on while the dog is bouncing off the walls, lol :p! You should also remember that terriers are pretty stubborn. When training, a pat as a reward won't be enough--a pat is good, but a juicy bit of hotdog is even better.

I saw some short haired spaniels on there, I think ? lol. I think the maximum size for us is probably 20-23 inches. Please list any dogs that meet these requirements. I am in England so I wouldn't really be able to get a Dachsund or Chinahaua?

Find a few breeds that you are especially interested in--ones that you can meet the needs of--then research them thoroughly. You have to make sure that you can
1. meet their exercise needs
2. meet their feeding needs
3. meet their grooming needs
and of course you need to be able to have at least two hours a day to spend with the dog, enough money for annual veterinarian checkups and for the occasional "uh oh he's sick!" appointment.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Renee750il said:
Hi, Shazzy - A Jack Russell needs a lot more than a couple of long walks. They have more energy than most other dogs - on the same level as a Border Collie.

I really think you'll find the right dog, especially since your Mom isn't terribly enthusiastic, if you'll go to the animal shelter and choose a dog that's not a young puppy - maybe one that's two or three years old. Your Mom's probably not up for all the work that goes with a puppy. Even if you're home on summer vacation and can do most of it, puppies require a lot of effort from everyone in the home. And if you get the dog at a shelter it will either already be spayed or neutered or they will have the spay/neuter fee in the adoption fee - at least that's how all the shelters I've dealt with have handled things.

With the Spaniels you've got to remember that you're going to be dealing with longish hair, and your Mom might not appreciate that a whole lot, lol!
Puppies are A LOT of work! You must trust Renee on this. Believe me, I just got my German Shepherd puppy and I spend at least 85% of my day trying to train him, taking him outside, play with him, feeding him, and much more. AT LEAST 85%. They are a lot of work, so I think if your mom isn't so enthusiastic about the dog, like Renee said, try getting one that's already house broken and a little older than a puppy.

Members online

No members online now.