Rescued cat sick

Barb04

Super Moderator
I rescued a cat (6 years old) from the humane society - big mistake since they all come down with upper respiratory sickness. My other 2 cats are now on medication also. So this $60 donation has now turned into over $400. The rescue just doesn't want to eat. Once he got sick after 1 day here, he gave up eating. He got hydrated at vet and ate that night. Eating by himself ended 8 days ago. We put special food into a dispenser and get him to swollow it for nutrition, same with water. He is on a different strong medication which has helped bring up his spirits but no interest in food. My husband just called another vet we use and is bringing him in tomorrow to see if there is something else wrong. He is such a sweet cat, and hope he will be okay.

Has anyone had experience with a cat who is/was sick not wanting to eat. Also, he hasn't pooped in over 7 days but the vet said not to worry.

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Oh Barb that is awful! He hasn't pooped in 7 days? That is not healthy. Get a new vet! Yes, about the upper respitory infections, Darwin had one of those last August before I got him last October. When I got him, he threw up everything, but after a month or 2, he settled in just fine.

Barb, I hope that everything is okay and you get to keep the rescue!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Thanks. Sylvester will definitely be staying. Last night my hubby got a lot of food into his mouth to swollow using a medicine dispenser. Hubby even slept on the bedroom floor with him last night. Surprise, this morning Sylvester pooped in the litter box. We are so happy. Hubby searched the internet and found other people in same situation where they had to feed their cats the same way while they were on medication, some for 5 weeks. We will keep feeding him this way until he eats on his own. It was just so good to see that he was able to move his bowels.

Fran27

I hope he's ok... I would definitely call the rescue and tell them that their cat got sick... although at this rate all their cats might be.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I got him from the humane society and they said almost all of the cats will come down with it within 1 or 2 weeks after being adopted. Oh, they are also not responsible for any health problems after being adopted.

Fran27

So nice... They don't even care do they? No wonder people don't get their pets from rescues sometimes... I've heard the exact same thing about the SPCA next to my house, some of the cats they adopted out even died from some kind of disease...

Barb04

Super Moderator
The more people my husband has spoken to about what happened say the same thing. I've given donations to the humane society before, but now I think I've paid my dues for life.

Saje

Island dweller
:( I hope he feels better. My cats love canned tuna. Maybe you could try that? and add a teaspoon of canned pumpkin to their food to help their bowels.

I adopted two cats from the town shelter a year ago and they were both sick right away! I didn't take them to the vet because I didn't have any cash and I didn't think it was that serious. They were sneezy and lazy and didn't want to eat much for about a week. Mitsy hid out in my rabbits hutch of all places. My cat that I had before sneezed once but that's about it. And after a couple weeks they were fine.

I think cats are pretty resiliant. As long as you keep things going in and comign out (or try) he'll probably recover.

Rhino

First of all, bless you for adopting in the first place!!

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but do you know if these cats are tested for FIV ("aids" feline immunodeficiency virus) or FIP (feline infectious peritonitis)?

I don't suspect FIP because FIP is more indicative of just unexplained weightless, while still producing a pot belly, which is usually fluid in the organ cavities (although this is not always the case). You also sometimes see problems with the nervous system and high fevers.

However, FIV does produce respiratory infections that can last quite a while. They are also prone to any other infection (similar to aids in humans). You also see problems in the mouth - abscessed teeth, or inflamed bleeding gums.

You can diagnose it with blood tests with a good results. If the cat is in the early stages though, the tests may come back negative due to the immune response that the body is still trying to create. Antibodies are trying to eradicate it, and so the test will show a negative. It's very common in rescue cats because it can take weeks, or months to get a positive result, and by this time they are already in their new home... which may be what's happening to you. :(

I would talk to your vet about getting the blood work done for this, if it has not already been done, and if it was negative, I would retest in another few weeks if it has come back negative.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I lost a rescue cat to FIP, so I know exactly what you're going through. ((hugs))

Barb04

Super Moderator
Yes, he was tested for feline aids and lukemia so I'm glad about that. Thanks for your post. Last night he ate some dry food and drank water and was perky. I think things are slowly improving.

Rhino

That's good to hear. Some kennels test as a matter of protocol, others don't.

Have you tried a high calorie appetite stimulant? You can buy them or make them. They also have electrolytes in them, which will help if he's not drinking enough on his own.

If you'd like a recipe for one you can make at home I'll be happy to type it out when I get home (just walking out the door and don't have time right now).

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Barb, have you tried nutrical? I dont know if it works with cats, but when I first brought Izzy B home she didnt want to eat, so gave that to her daily and after a few days she started to eat better and now hasnt stopped :) Thats to bad about the shelter, you would think that they would be better tuned into the animals but it sounds like a round em up and ship em out routine which is really to bad.

Good luck with your feline friend. Sounds like your hubby has taken a liking to the little fur ball

Barb04

Super Moderator
Rhino, I'd appreciate the recipe when you have time.

The vet gave us a high calorie food and also a supplement to feed. I feel bad since he won't eat it on his own we have to force feed. I won't let him get sick from not eating. I just hope he gets his appetite up.

Rhino

Depending on the suppliment your vet gave, you may not need it. This high calorie "goup" that I make usually needs to be given by syringe. Some get better and will eat it off a spoon, or you can dab it on their nose and let them lick it off that way... but I find the syringe to work best.. or teats for kittens.

Start by getting pedialite. It's a childrens electrolyte drink/suppliment. Stay away from things like gatorade. The electrolyte is minimal compared to the sugar and stuff.

Then you need karo (corn) syrup, cold pressed olive oil (the cheap stuff is fine, no need to dip into your imported italian stuff.. I buy the 3 dollar mini bottles to keep on hand for this). If you have any home made chicken stock, you can use that, otherwise stick with water or a LOW SODIUM alternative. Canned chicken stock is really high sodium, but you usually don't need it until they're ready to start eating on their own.

Now.. I don't have any measurements, but I can walk you through how I "eye ball" it. I usually make enough for 3 or so doses, and I usually give 3-5 ml's at a time. So start with about a 1/2 cup of the pedialite, then two table spoons of the karo, to thicken it up. Then I add enough olive oil to make it thin enough to pass through the syringe. You basically want to use the minimum serving suggestion for all ingredients, then you have a better idea of the total calories, then devide by how many servings. I've worked it out before, I think it's around 400/500 calories per batch, and that should last through out the day. This of course is to suppliment them and get them eating again.. not to be mistaken with a total meal replacement.

Once they eat better, you can substitute the pedialite with chicken stock and pour on their food to help keep calories up.

Usually once they get a day of these doses they will perk up from refined carbs and show an interest in eating.

If you have any questions let me know.

amymarley

Just like day care for kids, the pets get sick... Nip it in the bud... if your pet is coughing, throwing up, icky poop, not eating, peeing to much or not at all, eyes leaking, nose leaking, again..nip it in the bud. Most are harmless and you are doing a good thing. Thanks to all for res. a beloved pet.

Members online

No members online now.