Work question

Kilter

I am thinking long term work situations here....

One is doing stuff I love, but not much of a chance of ever advancing, and not a lot of job security (contract work, so more like 'if' there's work). Pay is ok but it gets frustrating with not having any say in things - it's a show up, do the work, go home sort of thing.

Or do something I don't really like as much, that has more security and chances to advance. Not sure what that would be yet - might go back to school, who knows...

Just pondering.

Kilter

Yup, that's what I'm thinking. I have a year and a half (hopefully) to get something set up...

Saeleofu

For me, I cannot tolerate doing a job I hate just because it's a job. Short-term? Sure. Long-term? Hell no. I worked in a library for 3 months and was MISERABLE. I wouldn't choose to do that job for the rest of my life even if the pay was AMAZING (which it wasn't).

Now, I could work in a vet clinic for the rest of my life and be okay. It's not my favorite thing, by far, but it's doable. But there's also nowhere to go - no way to advance.

I guess I'm fortunate that the thing I love is the thing that offers me virtually endless opportunities for advancement. Working in a zoo is truly a dream come true, even at entry level. It can only go up from here, but even if I stayed where I am, I'd be happy.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe try to find a balance - go for something you still enjoy, but that will give you opportunities. Surely there's something out there that suits you and also pays you?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
May I ask, what do the jobs entail?

For me I can NOT do something I hate, something I was "eh" about maybe but absolutely HATE? Not unless I was seriously hurting for money.

Members online

No members online now.