Big dogs or little dogs, do you prefer one over the other?

PretzelDog

I love all dogs but have always had a preference for big short coated dogs. Some of the reasons I don't have little dogs:

1. Number one reason for sure. I can't stand high pitched barks, makes my brain hurt. My sister has a shitzu/pom, a sweet, lovable, well behaved, "real" dog. She doesn't bark alot, but when she does OMG, it's worse than finger nails on a blackboard.

2. The bent over at the waist shuffle, to put on lead, wipe feet, get something away from them, etc. I like a dog who's head is within easy reach.

3. Breakability. I'm not a klutz, but I worry about tripping over them, stepping on them, etc. They're not as visible. Also I like to play/wrestle with my dogs. Get down on the floor and rumble. It's just not the same with a dog who's 1/16th your size.

4. I like to take long walks/hikes and go snowshoeing with my dogs, most little ones don't have the stamina.

5. Big dogs make better pillows. There's nothing like laying on the couch with your head proped on a big ole warm, curled up dog. They make better foot warmers to.

That's not to say there aren't some things I like about little dogs. Many of them are fiesty with big dog attitude and a lot of them are just too cute for words. Other things come to mind such as:

1. Portability. No matter how well trained your dog is (mine anyway) they still have their moments. Middle of the night, -25celsius, three feet of snow, potty is done, but buddy decides he just not ready to go back in. I can see how it would be much less frustrating to just pick em up and throw them in the house. (just kidding about the throwing, really!)

2. Once, just once I'd like to know what it feels like to stretch my legs all the way out on the couch. I'm getting too old to have permanently cramped knees.

3. It would be nice once in awhile to have a dog in your lap that actually fits without getting your breath/circulation cut off and your boobs squished.

4. Smaller poop. Self explanatory. Maybe next time I'll get me one of these:

http://crazypicz.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/dog-on-toilet.jpg

Giny

I love all dogs but have always had a preference for big short coated dogs. Some of the reasons I don't have little dogs:

1. Number one reason for sure. I can't stand high pitched barks, makes my brain hurt. My sister has a shitzu/pom, a sweet, lovable, well behaved, "real" dog. She doesn't bark alot, but when she does OMG, it's worse than finger nails on a blackboard.
What, you mean you don't like these sweet little barky bark? LOL You can thank my son for this video.

ETA: ROFL, I just looked at that picture....too funny. Kind of creepy at the same time. lol

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
medium to large for me for all of the reasons stated.
Good grief i had to hit the speaker off quick. I don't like barking at all but high pitched like that is intolerable.

MicksMom

I, too, prefer big dogs. Mainly for all the reasons stated. That said, I would really, really like to have a Powder Puff Chinese Crested one day- just have to convince my husband.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I don't really think about size much when it comes to preferences. I think more along the lines of temperament, overall look, and what traits I want in a dog. The things I like tend to be found mostly in mediumish breeds, though some small breeds as well. My favorite breeds are pretty all over the place size wise, though most are medium (20-60 lbs). Size is probably the last thing I think of when I'm looking at breeds.

So yeah, can't say I like small breeds better because there are a few toy breeds I just adore and others are among my least favorite breeds. Just depends. There are benefits and disadvantages to both large and small dogs. I've had both and I don't think there's as much of a difference as people seem to think there is.

4. I like to take long walks/hikes and go snowshoeing with my dogs, most little ones don't have the stamina.
^^ I think that's a misconception though. The dog with the most stamina I know is my uncle's JRT and I bet she could run just about any large breed dog into the ground with ease. I also have toy dogs and we hike a lot. Summer and I do a few miles a day when I'm at school.

Last edited:

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
One would assume that I prefer small dogs... the truth is, there are actually only a couple of toy breeds that I would ever own.

Like Laurelin, temperament and look is most important to me. I like high energy, headstrong breeds... haha.

My favorite breed is obviously the chihuahua. The only other toy breed I would consider is probably a papillon.

My two other favorite breeds are the nova scotia duck tolling retriever, and the border collie. I'm actually pretty picky when it comes to breeds I like.

So, I guess I prefer small to medium sized dogs... I couldn't see myself owning a large breed (except I've considered owning a Dobe in the far future).

By the way, my chis LOVE going on long walks/hikes... they can GO GO GO forever, it seems. We're planning on going back to TN and getting another cabin late spring this year, and I can't wait to bring them on hikes and out into the woods... they love being outdoors and are so active.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Really, the only toy breeds I could see myself owning are papillons, Cresties (probably only powder puffs), and Chis. The rest just aren't my cup of tea. My other favorite breeds are the herders- bcs, aussies, shelties, pyr sheps, and GSDs. I plan on having a herd of paps and at least one herding dog in the future.

Last edited:

Pam111

I like both. I have small dogs now because that is easier when moving frequently since landlords are more likely to allow them.

Giny

I like many breeds but I have a larger amount of smaller breeds on the list then big ones. Actually, the list isn't really all that big , there isn't many breeds that I'd want to own. Not that I don't like them or find them beautiful, just many breed personality don't appeal to me.

I just like poodle personalities, they fit me like a glove...and it doesn't matter the size, big or small.

I groom many breeds, love them all but I couldn't see myself wanting some of them, some are just way to independent for my liking. I love clingy dogs.

PretzelDog

^^ I think that's a misconception though. The dog with the most stamina I know is my uncle's JRT and I bet she could run just about any large breed dog into the ground with ease. .
I know, JRTs for sure and some others. I was thinking more along the lines of Yorkie, Shitzu, Pom, etc. However, my cousin has JRTs and even they have a hard time in the 3-4 feet of snow we get around here (sometimes more). BTW, your paps are gorgeous, I've never seen one in real life :(

Giny: :lol-sign: dog is sweet, barky bark, not so much. The picture is kinda creepy, but I think it's a composite or fake.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I like the bigger dogs myself for the reasons already listed, in addition to the "security" factor. Aussies have it all for me and if I want a "small" dog, I'll just get a female. They can get pretty itsy while still being in standard.

That being said, I've been completely taken in by Paps and would love to own one some day...but they seem more like "super-compact" Border Collies than your typical toy dog.

Dekka

Just try me..
I know, JRTs for sure and some others. I was thinking more along the lines of Yorkie, Shitzu, Pom, etc. However, my cousin has JRTs and even they have a hard time in the 3-4 feet of snow we get around here (sometimes more). BTW, your paps are gorgeous, I've never seen one in real life :(

Giny: :lol-sign: dog is sweet, barky bark, not so much. The picture is kinda creepy, but I think it's a composite or fake.
Often the JRT can run along the top of the snow and the BC (and humans) have to flounder through ;)

THere are lots of paps around Ont.. just come on out to some agility trials, or obed matches.

Small all the way!
My reasons:

**very portable. Their crates are small, the beds are small--they are easy to pick up and easy to put anywhere. You can put them in a backpack, you can fit 2-4 of them in one medium sized crate (for transport etc)--no straining under their weight. This added portability makes it much easier to take them more places.

**they eat less and have smaller poops

**they are easier to bathe as if small enough you can even wash them in the sink so no stooping or being on your knees

**they are cute (ok I'm biased)

I have to disagree on one point that has been brought up over and over about high pitched yaps--my dogs both rarely bark---the only time they let out a bark or two is when the doorbell rings or if the neighbors dogs are out when they are out (the neighbors yave yorkies--talk about a constant yap)--I really think it's training that makes a difference--there are border collies and hound that like the bark all day and there are dachsunds that like to bark all day--but that it not the rule for any of these breeds obivously!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i vary soo much, my top 4 faves are chis (tiny) cresties (small) staffies (medium) and danes (xlarge)
i look more for personality, look and "purpose"
Right now the cresties fit me prefectly, size wise there compact but not so small as to be breakable when full grown (jasper is still "under foot size" lol), but there small enough to easily transport in a small car, and its nice to have dogs where both of them can curl up on you at the same time and you dont feel like your being crushed....(right now i have ruby half in my lap, jasper on my shoulder and my laptop still fits!)
there active and love to play but quiet in the house and they are not typically "toy barkers" they have a suprising bark for a little dog thats more of a yodel/bay than a yip yip type bark.

i love small dogs simply because they are "easy" when it comes to all aspects of living an active life small dogs are just so much simpler...the only thing ive foudn to slow down most toy breeds is snow thats talledr than them...you have to keep in mind many of the smaller breeds are part Terrier and were bred to live active lives hunting rats and mice who are incredibly sneaky and fast, these little dogs can hike for miles, but there also perfectly content curling up on the couch or zooming round the living room...
you can take them pretty much anywhere...most places that do have restrictions are based on size...little dogs dont have the problem...
taking them in the car does NOT take up my entire back seat, infact their carseat takes up one seat and both will fit comfortably once jasper is big enough to ride in the seat. no need for an suv filled with crates!
a small bag of food lasts alot longer, and generally everything is less expensive when done in smaller sizes/amounts...

however there are some cons...
people assume my little dogs arnt "real dogs" simply based on size...despite the fact ruby can outrun a rabbit with ease, can climb treas and catches chipmonks without a problem and she loves getting dirty! how does that make her "not real"
you have to bend down...

with big dogs its the same thing, theres sooo many pros and cons...

PretzelDog

I have both...probably with always have some size variety because it is amusing to watch.

Beagles are one of my exceptions for sure. I adore them. I posted some of your pictures on another thread explaining how I got interested in Chazhound in the first place. For weeks I was checking everyday for new pictures of Laverne and Shirley, started looking around and decided to join. If there's anything in this world cuter than a beagle pup, I've yet to see it.

BTW, when I posted those pictures I should have quoted to show who they belonged to. I won't do it again, promise.

Pam111

Small all the way!
My reasons:

**very portable. Their crates are small, the beds are small--they are easy to pick up and easy to put anywhere. You can put them in a backpack, you can fit 2-4 of them in one medium sized crate (for transport etc)--no straining under their weight. This added portability makes it much easier to take them more places.

**they eat less and have smaller poops

**they are easier to bathe as if small enough you can even wash them in the sink so no stooping or being on your knees

**they are cute (ok I'm biased)

I have to disagree on one point that has been brought up over and over about high pitched yaps--my dogs both rarely bark---the only time they let out a bark or two is when the doorbell rings or if the neighbors dogs are out when they are out (the neighbors yave yorkies--talk about a constant yap)--I really think it's training that makes a difference--there are border collies and hound that like the bark all day and there are dachsunds that like to bark all day--but that it not the rule for any of these breeds obivously!

My dogs are not barkers either. When I had a Malamute, she howled when left alone, so that was definitely a big problem.

Members online

No members online now.