How long does bloat take to show?

SarahHound

I'm stressing and need vibes and info. If Todd ate his dinner at 6pm, and its 10.30pm now, how long would it roughly take for bloat to show? The last half an hour or so he's been panting a bit, but he does this when he's feeling sick too...I can't work out if bloat would show sooner...My Mum is reluctant to go to the vet at such a late hour, but obviously will do it needed.

He's showing no other signs, so I'm thinking he's just feeling a bit sick...but I can't help the little niggle at the back of my mind.

Argon bloated almost 7 hours after his breakfast. Not to freak you out or anything, but he went from the panting stage to looking like he ate a beach ball in about 20 minutes. I would take him just to be sure.

Keep those Gas-X strips on hand to give if they bloat, it can save their life if given even on the way to the ER.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
If there is torsion (twisting of the stomach) Gas-X is ineffective.
If there's torsion of the stomach, the dog need to be seen immediately. GDV kills very quickly.

If there's torsion of the stomach, the dog need to be seen immediately. GDV kills very quickly.

That's why I said "on the way to the ER". It certainly will not hurt at all and I'm on a GSD forum where it helped save a dog's life when used like that.
I keep some in our med cabinet - and if ever one of ours shows signs I'm sure as hell going to give it to them on the way out the door!

SarahHound

Well all is alright, just to update. Todd wasn't bloated. It was down to a large amount of haggis he has stolen earlier. It upset his tummy good, he was off for two days! But all is well now thankfully.

Glad I never took him to the vet, it would have been a long expensive trip. It does make me wonder though...I would be in serious trouble if either did bloat...my nearest vet is over 60 minutes away...and the emergency vet, over 2 hours.

Holy freaking crap, I cannot imagine being so far away from a vet or er. The next time you are at the vet ask him/her what to do if your dogs ever get bloat. I've seen "bloat kits" but I have no idea if they are a smart thing to do, like if they could cause other issues besides putting the tube in wrong (its a stomach tube). And invest in a few boxes of GasX.

I am glad that is wasn't bloat!

Members online

No members online now.