Some people are just incredibly stupid

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think I posted on here a while back but I can't recall. About 6 months ago, Summer was lunged at by this black lab/border collie that goes to our park. Owner was nowhere in sight at all but turns out he was a long ways away on his phone. I ended up having to grab Summer up by her back legs to get her away from the dog. Ever since then if I even see that dog at the park, I turn around and take the girls home.

This is the same dog that has been killing off the ducks at our local park too btw.

Now today I was at the park with the dogs and a couple of my park friends and their dogs. It's not a dog park, but it is off leash IF your dog is under voice control. We were all a ways off the actual path and in a fieldy area letting the dogs run around. My dogs do great with their dogs even though their dogs are big. They all know each other and they just have fun hiking together.

Well we're standing there a ways off. The dogs are all either running or sniffing in the field except Mia, who is standing next to a friend of mine. Suddenly out of literally nowhere that black dog comes running up to us- no owner in sight. It had run up pretty close and started growling at us and Mia. Lucky's owner starts yelling at it and throwing things at to get it to go away. It leaves. Now, we're at the farthest point in the park from my car and the dog is somewhere between me and my car. So I decide to stay put with the others and wait till I can see where the dog is before leaving. A few minutes later the dog comes back up towards us from out of the bushes. Summer is literally just standing there when the dog lets out a growl and lunges at her again. I grab up Summer and people were yelling and this guy grabs the other dog by the collar (probably not a smart move). Just then the owner of the dog came around the corner.

She walks up and I kid you not looks at me and Summer and says (in a cutesy voice I might add) 'Are you picking fights with my dog?'. Wtf? Guy who is holding the dog says no that her dog is picking fights (the lady is holding a leash but not leashing it btw) She says "Well that can't be true. My dog LOVES little dogs. My dog has never hurt another dog." I know this is bull because I've seen this dog try to pick half a dozen fights at least with big and small dogs. Lucky's owner tells the lady that she has seen that dog go after plenty of other dogs. The lady says something about how she's alpha and her dog is always under control with her around but she never listens to her husband so maybe it was all her husband's fault. Long convo short she would never admit to any wrong and kept insisting that Summer started it because 'little dogs always start things' and 'Summer just thinks she's a big dog too'. I guess 'provoking' is you know... standing there.

Guy holding the dog just says to take your dog away. The lady grabs the dog then promptly lets go of its collar. :yikes: Dog immediately lunges for Mia, sending Mia running off with her tail tucked between her legs. Lady grabs her dog back and starts yelling at it and smacking it on the nose. At this point I'm like "Could you PLEASE just hold on to your dog so I can get my dogs and leave?" And she replies "Oh don't worry! She won't hurt your dog."

*facepalm*

So after that I was able to leave and I don't know if the dog picked any fights with the others or not. But **** some people are dumbasses.

Snark

Mutts to you
Glad your dogs weren't hurt! Stuff like that makes me wish I could smack that idiot lady on the nose and yell at her - without being charged with assault...

And then you found the nearest wall and beat your head on it right?

Sounds like a gem of a lady, glad though that no one got hurt and hope you don't run into her for a while!

Doberluv

Is there someone you can report her to? This should not be tolerated. I'd be pissed and would probably carry a weapon with me next time...pepper spray or something. (?) It's just not right that your little dogs and you should be terrorized like that. I'm sure you could get those witnesses to back you up if need be.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
At this point I just feel like it's not worth it to talk to her. It's like talking to a brick wall. I know she's been reported for her dog killing and tormenting the ducks on the lake.

It's just annoying because we really really enjoy the park otherwise. I have never seen any other dogs or people cause any trouble at the park.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I haven't had to deal with this (thank heavens) and don't have any advice...just wanted to offer my sincere sympathies...and well, I hope they get a grip, get banned from the park, or move away!

Wanna borrow Kharma? I promise she won't pick a fight with the lady's dog, but if the lady's dog wants to *play* she knows a couple of really fun games ;)

Sooner or later this dog is either going to hurt a little one and her idiot owner will still be in denial, or it's going to pick on the wrong little dog -- like a little Pitbull. And then the other dog will get the blame when her idiot raises twenty hells over her poor little "wouldn't hurt a flea" precious. :wall:

You might consider picking up a cattle prod at the local farm store.

Romy

Taxiderpy
You might consider picking up a cattle prod at the local farm store.
^^This

Seriously, I'd be highly tempted to drag the dog off by the collar next time it runs up acting aggressive and she's nowhere in sight. Put it in the car, head to the humane society and let them know it was menacing you and your dogs, has done so before, killing ducks, you know who it belongs to but the owner was just nowhere in sight when it came after you again.

LilahRoot

^^This

Seriously, I'd be highly tempted to drag the dog off by the collar next time it runs up acting aggressive and she's nowhere in sight. Put it in the car, head to the humane society and let them know it was menacing you and your dogs, has done so before, killing ducks, you know who it belongs to but the owner was just nowhere in sight when it came after you again.
It wouldn't have gone this far with me. That dog would be gone already. Just *poof* disappeared. If she isn't watching her dog and is walking around talking on her cell phone she shouldn't be bringing the dog there. I hate idiots who go to the dog park and then don't even watch their frigging dogs. UGH!

Romy

Taxiderpy
It wouldn't have gone this far with me. That dog would be gone already. Just *poof* disappeared. If she isn't watching her dog and is walking around talking on her cell phone she shouldn't be bringing the dog there. I hate idiots who go to the dog park and then don't even watch their frigging dogs. UGH!
Thing is though, it's not even a dog park. Just a regular park. She ought to be fined for allowing her dog to run around, menace people, and attack other dogs.

mrose_s

BusterLove
In situations like that you've gotta feel sorry for the dog for having a completly clueless owner, she's not doing it any favours. :(

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Actually as I walked away I thought 'Kharma would have been really useful right about now'.

You would think one of the two owners would have a clue that their dog does NOT belong off leash or in the park, period. Half the time it's a lady walking her and the other half it's her husband. But neither of them pay any attention to the dog.

Doberluv

If they're a long ways off from the dog, I like the idea of putting him in the car and taking him to a shelter where they'll have to pay to get him back out. I'd just say I found a stray dog wandering around the park and it actually was terrorizing your dog, so you thought the best thing was to bring it there where it would be safe from being hit by a car if it wandered out of the park. These people need to get the message that letting their dog go around bothering people/dogs isn't their right.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I'd do this as well.

Except I'd forget to include that I know the owner and say it was attacking other dogs and their owners, and they should be REALLY careful who they adopt the dog to. I'd also remove any tags on the dog except possibly a proof of vaccination if it has it.

SweetAdeline

In heart with the cute
I'd do this as well.

Except I'd forget to include that I know the owner and say it was attacking other dogs and their owners, and they should be REALLY careful who they adopt the dog to. I'd also remove any tags on the dog except possibly a proof of vaccination if it has it.
This would undoubtedly be my response as well. It's not fair that you can't enjoy the park because she is irresponsible. People are just so...:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.