ear-drops,hates to be touched on the ears

josephine

I took Prita to the vet because she keeps scratching her ears and does a "pain" sound.The vet tried to clean her ears but she couldn't manage to clean them good so she prescribed for her ear-drops for a week...
The thing is that i tried yesterday to put few drops in her ear and she doesn't let me,she bit me,one of her tooth break the skin of one of my fingers,i'm sure she didn't want to do that and that she was afraid or maybe she doesn't want me to touch her ears because she's in pain. I felt really bad about it and i got pretty upset :( I just got up and left the room...after that she came to me and just sat there,staring at me...

On the morning today,i tried again.I put her on the table(where i wash them etc) gave her a chew thingy and my mom hold her so as to put few drops in her ears...I managed to put some...but again she gets so pissed about it.

I don't know what to do...Any ideas on how to make her stay for few seconds still or stop getting so pissed off about me touching her ears?

thanks

It's probably going to take two of you, at least for awhile. Her ears must be very sensitive. If she'll let you massage them and likes it, try doing that for a few minutes. Get your Mom to hold her and massage one ear while you massage the other ear. Then you can slip the drops in each ear. DO make sure you've warmed the drops a bit by setting the bottle in some warm water for a few minutes. Cold ear drops are something that dogs just hate!

If she doesn't like to have her ears massaged gently, you can try having your Mom hold her and distract her with a treat. Peanut butter will keep her very busy!

Good luck! If those techniques don't work, let us know; I'm sure one of us will come up with something that will help! :)

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
HI ya the smae here i have ear dorps too!!How weird!!lol
anyway ive got a terrible time doing it coz ive gotta puit it ina 6 month old lab puppy he acts like a teenager!!GRRR LOL anyway good luck with yours!!

josephine

Renee750il said:
It's probably going to take two of you, at least for awhile. Her ears must be very sensitive. If she'll let you massage them and likes it, try doing that for a few minutes. Get your Mom to hold her and massage one ear while you massage the other ear. Then you can slip the drops in each ear. DO make sure you've warmed the drops a bit by setting the bottle in some warm water for a few minutes. Cold ear drops are something that dogs just hate!

If she doesn't like to have her ears massaged gently, you can try having your Mom hold her and distract her with a treat. Peanut butter will keep her very busy!

Good luck! If those techniques don't work, let us know; I'm sure one of us will come up with something that will help! :)
Thanks for the quick reply!

She likes being massaged on the ears,what she doesn't like is when i turn her ears so as to see the inside...also her ear is really hidden in all that hair (no wonder why she has an ear infection with all that hair.)

Thanks for the tips.I'm going to try them and let you know!!!

roni

K-9 lover ;)
I had a dog that had very sensative ears and it was a struggle to clean them. I finally had to resort to a muzzle when it came time to clean and medicate his ears. I know it sounds awful but it will keep you from getting bit. Prita has to have her ears cleaned and that seems like that is going to be the only way for now. Maybe once the soreness is gone she won't try to bite. Goodluck! (poor Prita)

Cidney

Whats even more maddening is when you do get the drops in the ear they shake their head and it all shakes out!

Oh, that's absolutely maddening, Cidney! About the only way I've found to keep it from happening is to keep rubbing those ears after the drops are in. They don't do it as badly if the drops are body temperature, either, since they don't really feel them.

The tough ones to do are cats! They can sling eardrops much farther than any mere dog ever thought about . . . :eek:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
When my tmj got bad, I got chronic evil ear infections...i feel for the dog cause it was all I could do to put my head on the table while somebody put them in.I swear I whined as bad as a dog would..that sensation was enough to make me hide under the bed...poor puppy...poor u ...hope u both will be over this soon. I just couldn't stand it!It is soooo icky!

josephine

smkie said:
When my tmj got bad, I got chronic evil ear infections...i feel for the dog cause it was all I could do to put my head on the table while somebody put them in.I swear I whined as bad as a dog would..that sensation was enough to make me hide under the bed...poor puppy...poor u ...hope u both will be over this soon. I just couldn't stand it!It is soooo icky!

Yeah i got that once too,it's bad...

well i tried what Renee said with the drops and the warm water...and also i put her on a chair and gave her a bone...she just holds the bone in her mouth because she doesn't want me to take it away lol and i had to find out how she will drop it lol it's the only thing she doesn't want to drop so i just opened the door and wheneber she hears the door,she thinks that someone arrived lol so she dropped the bone and run to see who came lol that worked the first time as the second time she didn't believe me lol (i give her that whenever i have to put the drops in her ears...

:)

thanks

Hi there... I've had to do the "ear routine" for many years, now. What I find works best is to lay your baby on his/her side on the bed. Gently massage him all over and get him very relaxed. Slowly massage the bowels of his ear canal until he's in ectasy... shouldn't take long! Then I put a small flashlight in my teeth to peer down into his ear canal. If there's some gunk, I'll first scoop it out with Q-Tips. Then I admister the medication. Sounds like your baby may have a yeast infection and you will need to get ointment from your vet. Don't do this with the off-the-shelf liquid stuff... that would be wicked on his ear drum... hope this helps...

Saje

Island dweller
Renee, I think it was you who suggested once to have peanut butter on your hand while your doing something unpleasant with a dog. That way they will be distracted and the licking motion calms them. That might work here. Could start out just massaging the ears with one hand and having peanut butter on the other. that might help.

Members online

No members online now.