Skunk bite

angie8023

I love my Sancho
Hello. Has anyones dog ever been bit by a skunk? Sancho was sprayed a couple of weeks ago. I didn't notice any bites on him until a few days after. He has allergy problems so i figured it was another of of his sun spots. Were going on the third week and it doesn't look as bad. I'm just worried about what it might be doing to him internally. I'm not even positive it's a skunk a bite. Does anyone know what they look like?

F

FluffyZooCrew

Make sure he had a updated rabies vaccination at the time. I see your in TX, I'm in Louisiana. Down here, there's a high percentage of skunks that carry rabies, something around 70% according to LA Wildlife and Fisheries.

No idea what a skunk bite looks like, but I'd have him looked at by a vet to be on the safe side.

Boxer100

Never knew that skunks would resort to biting. I thought their stinky spray was enough to deter anyone from approaching them.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Make sure he had a updated rabies vaccination at the time. I see your in TX, I'm in Louisiana. Down here, there's a high percentage of skunks that carry rabies, something around 70% according to LA Wildlife and Fisheries.

No idea what a skunk bite looks like, but I'd have him looked at by a vet to be on the safe side.
^^^
Skunks are quite shy, so unless your dog had it backed into a tiny corner there's no way a healthy skunk would go out of it's way to bite a dog.

I know a person in Texas who had a rabid skunk try to attack her pack of borzois (that is how stupid rabies will make them) She killed it with her shotgun, but not before it bit her leg. It did test positive for rabies, and she did have to get the shots. Sad. I would definitely bring the dog in for an exam and make sure the rabies shot is up to date.

angie8023

I love my Sancho
Wow. That's crazy! I had no idea rabies would make them go nuts. I just checked his records and he isn't due until10/10. So I guess he will be okay. I just saved another $100.00:) I can't believe that is what I'm averging everytime I take him!

Members online

No members online now.