Dog taking me for a walk?

usurp

Belgian Shepherd Tervuere
I don't know why but sometimes my dog decides to take the leesh in his mouth and start pulling me. I haven't figured out a pattern in his actions but its annoying. How can I stop him from taking the leesh? Any tips?

thanks

T

tessa_s212

Well, he wants to play! Lol. Lots of dogs LOVE to play tug. I would actually get a tug toy, and make that the special tug toy. That is the only thing he should be allowed to play tug with, and never a leash.

Does your dog know a solid "drop it" or "give" command? If so, tell him this whenever he tries tugging with the leash. Never give in to his play drive if you want to stop him from tugging on the leash. But, I recommend TO play tug alot with the special tug toy. Soon he will learn which toy and when it is the proper time to play tug.

If he does not yet know "drop it" or "give", you have some work ahead of you! The "give" command is a very important one. All my dogs learn this. If they have something I CANNOT let them have, it is so much easier to just ask them to drop it rather than fight with them to get it out of their mouths.

To teach "drop it" or "give" be prepared with REALLY yummy treats. Chicken, hot dogs, cheese, or whatever REALLY motivates your dog should be used as treats. If you have a toy(ball, stuffy, frisbee, etc), you can start teaching with the toy. (*Note-it is best not to ever play tug until your dog is solid on the "give" command.) If he ever willingly lets you have the toy(say, to throw it) say "give" and give him the REALLY yummy treat! If ever the dog does not comply to the "give" command, do not scold or yell. You have to wait. Yes, wait. Sometimes this takes a very long time. You wait until he gives it up willingly. Or, you could also tempt him to give you the toy by offering a treat. If this works, give him the treat and end there.

usurp

Belgian Shepherd Tervuere
hmm interesting. well i had taught him the leave it command but since he never leaves the leesh with that command its effecting other stuff to, now he wont leave trash when i use the command although he used to before. so now i am using the command let go when he is tugging the leesh so that it doesnt effect the leave me command. i will try teaching him give, would work nicely when he comes back from fetching his ball :)

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Belgians are a highly intelligent breed - good and bad! Good because they are easy to train and bad because they can be very indepentant and think on their own! lol

Riot used to do that (still sometimes does it). They think of the leash as a part of YOU - so whenever he tugs on that leash hes essentially "tugging on your arm". I'd stop all walking and use your "Leave it" command.

(Riot knows "Off" and drops it right away now).

Tessa had some great advice for you above :)

You COULD also go to your local pet store and buy a spray called "Bitter Apple" and spray that on the leash lol then he wont want to mouth the leash at all.. unless he likes the taste lmao!

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
My puppy used to do it but "grew out of it" after a couple of "No"s. He's a Malinois.

Members online

No members online now.