Giny -- IBD dogs and food

Bailey08

And anyone else who is interested, of course.

I took Bailey to a new holistic vet. She asked if he got RMBs and I said I had been hesitant to give him anything raw because of his compromised immune system. She thinks he'd be fine. I already cook his food fairly lightly -- she told me to cook the meat less and less until he was on raw.

B got very, very rare beef tonight (mixed with his other stuff) and wolfed it down.

Anyway, I wanted to post about the advice I'd received since I know you're going through the same thing with your doggie. (We're also doing some homeopathic stuff to try to address his underlying condition.) Hope your guys are doing well.

ETA: I realize your dog hasn't been diagnosed with IBD. And you have your own vet. :)

Last edited:

Giny

Thank you so much for the info. It's nice to hear what a holistic vet thinks about RMB.

I did try raw with her while preparing her food a weeks ago. I had some beef liver and some intestines and thought what a sham to cook that and get rid of all the benefits they offered. Well, Kassie and Boomer didn't touch it, they didn't like the raw liver. So I ended up cooking it and now they are eating, not with much gusto, but they are eating it. I may have to introduce the liver in a small quantity at a time.

One meal I did give them raw ribs and Kassie scoffed that down in no time, she loved it, so did Tilly, but I had to cook it a bit (few seconds on each side) to get Boomer to eat it. Kassie did great on it, no tummy troubles.

I'm glad your dog is doing good on it. I might try again when my supply of liver mixed with intestine and beef is all gone. (I had made a big batch of it beforehand, mixed it together and froze it)

Bailey08

Bailey *hates* liver, but if I mix it in with ground meat so he can't pick it out, he'll eat it. ;)

I think I'm going to try beef ribs sometime this week (B doesn't get poultry). It's great that yours did well with it. I have to admit that it still makes me nervous! ;) How did you get the supplements in them with the RMBs?

Giny

I still feed them cooked, twice a day. I give them RMBs only once in a while. That morning they had their cooked with the supplements in it and they ate the ribs for the dinner meal. My dogs are quite small, well Kassie is, she's only 3 pounds, but she was the first to finish her rib. She knows how to get them bones clean...lol But they aren't able to chew down the bone itself so when they get down to the bone I take it away.

I used to give them chicken wings until I realized that chicken was one of Kassie's triggers.

Members online