I need alot of help

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
I have a lab mix which is neko. he was an out side dog for 4 mouth. then he started to be an inside dog. but now he has to be up in my room all the time because we have 3 Chihuahua and a G.S.D. and he very nice, but he dose not now how to calm down around the other dogs. and people. so when he downstairs he was to be on a leash.

can you give me any ideas how to help.

Saje

Island dweller
Well, first of all I'd make sure that he was very tired when he came in the house. It would also be good if he played outside with the other dogs if possible.

Nanook is a very hyper dog but if I give her a toy (stuffed sock) she'll calm down and play with it for hours.

Also, when he comes inside I'd have him sit nicely while and then give him lots of praise. try to teach him to sit most of the time even if he only puts his bum on the ground for a little while

Fran27

He won't calm down if you don't give him the opportunity to. Of course the dog is excited when he gets out of the room if he's in it all the time. Leave him with the other dog, supervize them, after a while he will get used to them and will calm down, trust me. I was worried with my new puppy and the dogs were separated all the time, because they were crazy together, but I left them together anyway and now they are much better. They still get crazy sometimes but they can also sleep next to each other...

poeluvr

at puppy schooll we were taught this to teach them to calm down, and sit. put a leash on him. whenever you are sitting or on the computer or whatever put the leash under your bum and sit on it, so that he has just enough room to lie down, at first he will get irritated but with repition he will get used to it. it is supposed to help them calm down.
hope this helps

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
That's a good idea, sitting on the leash, I should try that with my lab puppy. She is so hyper around my daughter that I can't have her out while my daughter is awake she is always gated off in the kitchen.

poeluvr

juliefurry said:
That's a good idea, sitting on the leash, I should try that with my lab puppy. She is so hyper around my daughter that I can't have her out while my daughter is awake she is always gated off in the kitchen.
yea julie try it. i have two chocolate lab puppies in my class, theyre hyper, and theyre owners say its working. its best to do it know when their puppys , because if you try when theyre bigger they might be able to pull you right off the chair...lol. also that way your dog will hopefully be morre calm when a adult.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yes we did that with Teddy for the first few weeks he had to stay on a leash in the house unless we were playing and we allowed him to be off. When we weren't playing it was back on the lead. It frustrated him at first because he couldn't do what he wanted to do then he realized that he has to do what we want him to do and that he doesn't just have free run of the house whenever he pleases lol. then we gradually started letting him have more and more time off the leash but if he got unruly he had to go back on it. Didn't take him long to figure out that if he behaves he gets to have the freedom but if he gets into things it was back on that darn leash lol

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
When I brought my puppy home my kelpie went skitzo! She would race around the puppy yelling and jumping. Lucky Azlan was such a calm little guy and wasn't fazed by it. If I hadn't known better I probably would have locked them away from each other but I knew from experience that it would be worked out faster if i just let her get it out of her system. It took two days, but now they are completely trustworthy around each other. I do take them for alot of walks and they both get heaps of mental stimulation and training, but not everyone has time for intense training. So, I agree with Saje, a tired dog is a good dog.

Members online

No members online now.