Dog Fight

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
So Emma and the foster are still working out who is boss (under me of course).

Well the other day I was watching TV and they were having a blast chasing eachother around the house and play fighting. I got up to go to the bathroom, and on my way back downstairs I heard them fighting, but it was different this time. Then I heard yelps and barks and more growling. I g orunning down stairs (practicly brake my leg missing a couple of stairs). Emma and Saddie were FIGHTING.

I screamed for John to get his ass downstairs NOW as I go running up to them screeming to brake it up. I grabed Emma, who was on top, and give her the "Drop it" command, which she did, and let go of Saddie's leg. John grabs Saddie and looks her over while I look Emma over. Emma has a nice cut on her leg but didnt look that bad. Saddie had some deep cuts so we took them both to the vet

Saddie got some stitches in various places, and Emma just had her cuts cleaned out. They will both be OK.

Now, they do not go out of my site together. Saddie is still in her crate when we are gone.

Funny thing is, now they have figured it all out. If Emma is eating and Saddie trys to eat too, Emma growls at her and Saddie backs right off. I guess that they now have their pecking order.

I am suprised. I would have thought the outcome would have been the oposite. Saddie is a pit mix and Emma a beagle. One thing I can say, those beagle teath can do ALOT of damage.

Im just vary glad that the injuries were what they were, and not worse. Yes I also know I shouldnt have broke them up with my bare hands, I could have got bit, but all I could think of was Emma getting hurt.

R

RedyreRottweilers

OMG how scary.

Please do NOT think that this is over.

Bitches who have fought once ALWAYS want to kill each other, in my experience.

You are very wise NEVER to leave them alone together.

Glad no one was hurt any worse.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I think it is because Emma isnt spayed yet and Saddie was just spayed. Mabe the hormones are still rageing. Emma will be spayed in about 6 weeks once this agility class is over so I dont have to stop doing it.

Im hoping that Emma and the new puppy whont fight because Emma will be spayed, even though no name whont be, but maybe..

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my science teacher always said "beware the little man" . when they hit they mean for it to carry the full whollop for they may not have another chance.

Debi

it's not just bitches...sometimes 2 dogs will get into a fight. the outcome isn't always serious, but it bears action. NEVER leave them alone together again. recently my Addie got cranky and clipped Ham on his eye...play or tussle..we'll never know, but I can't ever chance them together alone again. They will now be separated when unsupervised. it caused a trip to the vet, with Ham having to have ointment administered to his eye. I'm lucky that's all it was. I am also lucky it didn't harm his cornea. I recommend 2 dogs never , ever be left alone unsupervised. I love them to play, which they do with glee.........but only when I am watching.

R

RedyreRottweilers

No, it's not just bitches, but in my breed, bitches fight to kill, hold grudges, and once they decide they hate a bitch, they never forget.

Dogs fight for rank and status.

Bitches fight to kill.

Most of the time. ;)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Well at the moment they are sleep together under the computer desk at my feet.

mojozen

bullie lover
Jenn - that's because you are around. They are sleeping because you the alpha are present. I have heard of too many stories of 2 bitches fighting, the owners seperate for a while, then think everything is okay, and the the dogs are left together unsupervised again. Then they fight again... and generally it's pretty tragic. Also, as I am sure you know... pits may not start the fight but they will finish it if they are allowed to.

I'd never leave your foster alone with your house dog again. Who knows how Emma will receive the puppy... but i wouldn't leave all 3 alone either -- not even for a few minutes.

I know for myself, when I can afford to have a 2nd dog, i will be getting a spayed female for Mojo to live with. I dobn't know what breed, but I do know it will be female.

motherofmany

Clicker Extremist
My experience mirrors Red's. Dogs will fight, but generally before it gets lethal someone will turn belly up and submit.

Bitches (shudder) just don't quit and will wait for an opportunity to finish what they've started.

I'd crate the rescue when I couldn't supervise were I in your position.

Debi

another horror story...my neighbor has two bitches...neither spayed. one day they just got into the worst fight. her hubby has the scars to show for breaking it up, and one dog had stitches which cost over $500. (and that was a miracle that it was that minor) the vet told her.......YES, they will fight to the death. she can NEVER let them be together again. I don't think people understand.....this is fact.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
RedyreRottweilers said:
No, it's not just bitches, but in my breed, bitches fight to kill, hold grudges, and once they decide they hate a bitch, they never forget.

Dogs fight for rank and status.

Bitches fight to kill.

Most of the time. ;)

That applies to more than just dogs ;) lol

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Dont worry. They whont be left home alone.

As for 3 dogs. The foster will be gone b4 I get no name. I made sure Brandi (she runs the foster program) knew this and they said it was fine, they would find a nother home for her.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Oh I forgot to add.

Emma must have had alot of confidence after the fight because shortly after she chalanged ME for alpha status. Wow, she hasnt done that since she was little. Dont worry, didnt last long and she knows again why she doesnt want to chalange me

doberkim

Naturally Natural
id also keep this in mind if you plan on bringing a dobe bitch into the household - clearly emma is not as submissive as you thought, and she WILL fight for her place in the house.

We've had that happen. It's definitely very scary. They don't call female dogs "b!tches" for nothing. Getting the dog that was not spayed, spayed helped, I also started using NILIF with that dog, so now everything has worked out pretty well, I still keep an eye on them and don't leave them alone together.

Members online

No members online now.