Signs of ear infection?

Fran27

Is there any sign when a dog has an ear infection? Boris has been pawing his right ears from time to time, but it looks normal inside. Could it be something else?

When Midnite was a pup she had all kinds of problems with her ears espeically mites! It was obvious that something was wrong there was redness, irriation, bad odor and discharge.

Here are some websites on ear infections:

Healthypet
Marvistavet

Fran27

Thanks! He really only does it a couple times a day so I don't think it's the problem but I will keep an eye on it.

CanadianK9

flop the ear up, and take a smell, if it smells cheesy or has a yeasty sort of smell its infected, you can also detect ear infections by like you had mentioned before, pawing, flapping of the head and ears, just a change in your dogs general mood or activity. The infection (if any) can be treated in alot of ways, depends on your preference.

Athebeau

What I look for in case of ear problems are:
scratching even without an odor. Shaking the head. Head tilt, Repeatedly ducking or bobbing the head while swallowing this can indicate either a foxtail in the ear, tonsil or throat...thank dog my babies have never run into problems with foxtails.

If the ears are sensitive to touch. Redness - that can be a sign of allergies..the ear canal is skin and can be the first place to notice allergies. Most of these signs of ear problems do not come with an odor. It's always a good idea to have a Vet look deep into the ear canal just to make sure there is nothing lodged down there. Look deep into the ear canal yourself to see if there is anything visable to your eye...I would really suspect something lodged if the dog is carrying one ear lower than the other.

And of course the other normal signs of ear infections like offensive odor or discharge. Bloody discharge, Heavy accumulation of wax, Crusts or scabs.

Many ear problems are allergy related, so if the scratching continues...check your dog for fleas...and look at the food you are feeding. Some common offenders for allergy related ear problems are soy, dairy (not yogurt), wheat, beef and fish. Try a different protein source such as rabbit or venison. Also give fish oil supplements for omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants will help.

Debi

if it's a bad infection, your dog may lower his head and seem a bit off balance. when Hammie had an infection, he held that ear down lower and his head was tilted. you'd know because they can be so painful if not treated early that he'd be whining and fussing, much like a small child would.

also just thought I'd mention that there was no odor.

filarotten

Fila the love
Brutus shook his head like he was trying to get something out of his ears. He also scratched his ears.

Members online

No members online now.