Car Essentials?

96 GTS

Custom User Title
Opening the back windows but not the fronts will cause wind buffeting in just about any car that has rear windows that roll down. You can usually open the sunroof to make it stop, or I just roll all the windows down.

In terms of reliability, I really haven't seen any issues with the new Golfs. Which engine do you have?

Michiyo-Fir

Our old Toyota didn't have any sound like that but I suspect it doesn't seal all that well, maybe that's why.

I have the 2.5 petrol engine. Checked out diesel around Vancouver and saw few diesel pumps. I'd have to drive around just to fill up on diesel so I opted out of that. Also plus the recent recalls on a bunch of the 2.0 TDI engines due to some kind of leaking caused by vibrations? Plus it was 4000 more for the diesel version...

Edit: I opted it out of the sunroof too because of the price and I would never use it. I guess I'll just have to open a front window a little.

Edit 2: Other than that wind buffeting sound, I love the car so much. Extraordinarily maneuverable for its size and the trunk space is just amazing. Plus the 10 speaker system and bluetooth controls in the multimedia package are fantastic. From what I can tell from the first week, I'm going to love it for a long long time if nothing goes wrong with it. Hoping to keep it a good 10 years.

GipsyQueen

Here in Germany you're required to have a first aid kit in the car as well as a warning triangle and an orange vest so thats in there...

Other than that, I like to have enough water with me ever since I got stuck in a 50km long traffic jam in the summer and they had people run out of water.

Doberluv

A gal. jug of water, fire extinguisher under a seat, jumper cables, can of Fix-a-Flat, flare, paper towel, flash light, quart of oil, brake fluid, small bundle of kindling and blanket in winter (when I lived in Idaho), Nature Valley granola bars, lol. Most of that is kept out of sight in a compartment under the floor of the cargo area of my Rav 4. I don't carry a first aid kit. I suppose it wouldn't hurt. But who can predict what one might need? I mean, there are so many kinds of accidents where a bandaide isn't going to do the trick. I figure the paper towels will work to stop most bleeding and keep a wound relatively clean. I suppose it would be good to have some gauze wrap. But one can always McGiver something.

Oh yeah...in my console I have winter driving gloves that just stay there, a tire gauge, hand lotion, chap stick, pen, Rolaides, gum, Kleenex, my business cards with my old phone number on them. In the glove compartment, registration, proof of insurance, maintenance records, owner's manual, a pretty rock, and that's all I can remember.

GipsyQueen

That sounds absolutely awful.

My Fiesta hatch will do the same thing if I roll the back windows down and not the front.
It was - thankfully I was close to home and just drove off at a reststop and parked the car there and walked home.

They did have to send helicopters with water though for those who were stuck.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I usually have an 72 hr emergency kit, a car emergency kit w/ jumper cables, an old cel phone (for calling 911), dog leashes, a seat cover, and a spare set of clothes and shoes.

houlahoops

First of all...I. Love. Golfs! I rallied one once with a friend of mine and it was almost completely stock and handled everything like a champ. Super impressive (especially since I'd been driving a Honda the past few races haha).

As for what I keep in my car, I drive a '99 Corolla, so I have all the necessities: zip ties, duct tape, pliers, wire trimmers, coat hangers (poor man's bailing twine!), a jack, jumpers, a big flashlight, oil, and flares.

Aside from that, I have a slip lead and a medium-size box for any critters I pick up along the way, as well as a coat and a pair of heavy gloves. And a hatchet, because I am liable to get myself stuck whenever we leave a well-established road.

xpaeanx

Congrats on the new car!

Besides the usual bowl, water, extra leash and collar/harness... I like to keep a towel in my car. You really need to know where your towel is at all times. lol. They come in handy.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I like the idea of having water. Last summer I got stuck in an unexpected traffic jam, took me 1.5 hours to get where I was going, which should have only taken 15-20 minutes.... and my car at the time had no AC and it was brutally hot sitting in a stopped car. I don't know if I would have wanted to drink steamy water lol but the option would have been nice!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Opening the back windows but not the fronts will cause wind buffeting in just about any car that has rear windows that roll down. You can usually open the sunroof to make it stop, or I just roll all the windows down.
That god-awful sound is called wind buffeting!? Omg. I thought it was Satan speaking to me. D:

I always keep slip leads in my car. I've picked up several strays using them. I have a bag of dog treats and an extra clicker in the center console. A cover for the backseat, or it will be destroyed by dog hair and pawprints. Dog seatbelts. Portable water bowl and a canteen of water (bottled water gets ruined in the sun). TOWELS! A frisbee and a chuckit with a ball.

For me, I make sure I always have at least one pair of sunglasses in the car, my CD case, my USB cord, all of my chargers, and trail mix.

Omg Golfs are soooo dope!!! I wanted one, but a Cube fit my needs way better.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Congrats on the new car!

Besides the usual bowl, water, extra leash and collar/harness... I like to keep a towel in my car. You really need to know where your towel is at all times. lol. They come in handy.
Yesssss!!! <3

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My car always has a giant sketchpad, some art supplies, a collapsible wire crate, a plastic travel crate, one pair of heels, one pair of flip flops or tennis shoes, a clicker, two or three leashes, a towel to put down in the back seat, poop bags, water dish for the dogs, ... I feel like I'm missing something.

Michiyo-Fir

Poop bags!!! That's important ;)

Oh for the people that leave trail mix in the car, how do you make sure it doesn't go bad? Considering if the car is parked in the sun it gets baking hot inside?

Michiyo-Fir

Omg Golfs are soooo dope!!! I wanted one, but a Cube fit my needs way better.
I opted for the Golf wagon, bigger hatch for dogs :D In the US it's called a Jetta Sportwagen. It's pretty huge. Actually I just took a quick peek at the specs for the Cube and the Golf wagon and the Golf wagon has more cargo space with with rear seats up and rear seats down :yikes: I never would've thought!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I opted for the Golf wagon, bigger hatch for dogs :D In the US it's called a Jetta Sportwagen. It's pretty huge. Actually I just took a quick peek at the specs for the Cube and the Golf wagon and the Golf wagon has more cargo space with with rear seats up and rear seats down :yikes: I never would've thought!
Whaaaaaaat?! I totally hadn't considered a Jetta Sportwagen. I love hatchbacks... and VWs! I might make my boyfriend get one. But knowing him, he'll probably get a 2-seat Mercedes or something. :rolleyes:

I keep snacks/trailmix in the glove compartment and it doesn't get melty or anything. I eat it within a few days, though, so it's not like it's sitting there for months. It keeps me from getting fast food or candy.

xpaeanx

:hail:

Just in case you dump your Pan Gallactic Gargle Blaster in your lap. :cheers:
ugh. I HATE when I do that!

seriously though, I used my towel twice yesterday. first bc muffin jumped in a HUGE puddle, and second because I wanted to sit in the grass but it was wet... so I sat on the towel.

Know where your towel is. ;)

Members online

No members online now.