Bull-Boxer

Anyone heard of this new mix, well maybe it is not so new; I don't know. I was at a petstore today and they had one bulldog/boxer mix pup and she/he was so cute! Wow. Looked mostly boxer, brindle colored. I wonder why anyone would mix these two breeds? For what purpose? It was for $250 and I wish I could get it; but I would not want to buy from a petstore, but then it feels like a rescue so some bloke doesn't come along and just get him because he is cute and not really be ready for this type of breed(s).
They also had a corgi/pomeranian mix. Again, for what purpose? I can understand mixing some breeds, but not most of them. A herding breed with a toy breed produces a confused dog perhaps!
Since when does mixing "anything" become popular? Hello, go down to the animal shelter and you'll get the same thing! Good grief.

Boemy

Please, please do not buy a dog from the pet store. I know it's hard when that cute puppy is sitting there. I know you want to give him a better life. BUT every time someone buys one of those cute puppies, they are putting money into the hands of puppy millers and rewarding them for churning out sickly, untested puppies and keeping dogs cramped in cages. And don't forget that another victim--the MOTHER of the pup--is still locked in a cage somewhere. :(

Once in a while a puppy mill is "busted", that is the perfect time to get a puppy mill puppy . . . from a rescue group. :)

As for why people are purposely mixing breeds lately . . . Beats me, it's like a PLAGUE. Don't get me wrong, I love mutts, I've actually never owned a purebred anything, but there are so many in the animal shelters . . . and then people go around paying hundreds of dollars for them from BYBs and pet stores?? Does not compute . . . does not compute . . .

Saintgirl

The bulldog/boxer cross is already a 'breed' that originated nearly 60 years ago called the Valley Bulldog. Beautiful dogs with wonderful personalities with fewer health problems than the OE Bulldogs, however they are not recognized by the AKC or CanadianKC). They are a recognized breed only through the IOEBA (International Olde English Bulldogge Association).

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I had a bull-boxer grooming client for years. His name was Hooch, and he was the neatest dog I've ever met. He was small, very robust and substantial, and had the best temperament on him. He did get flaky skin (hence the constant grooming and remoisturizing treatments) but that could have been from something other than genetics.

I'd own one in a heartbeat.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
In a way, I think breeding a Mix that is actually good for something, is accceptable in some cases. Like if they could actually get the Labradoodles to be hypoallergenic, or if they bred 2 dogs together that would make an above average sledding, herding, hunting, or working dog. But I really don't see, other than being hypoallergenic, why people mix the smaller breeds...Mixing a Pom and a Poodle may (or may not) produce a dog with the look of a Pom but doesn't shed. For people who like poms, but can't have one because they have allergies. But breeding the new 'Puggles'? What's the purpose (other than being undeniably adorable and sweet :p)? They shed inevitably(sp?) as both breeds are bad shedders (Beagles and Pugs). But another reason as Saintgirl stated, would be health. It sounds like these Bull/Boxers are healthier than the average bulldog, so if you want a bulldog, but not the health issues, maybe a Valley Bulldog would be a good choice. I hope this is understandable....I'm just kinda letting this all out and it's a little jumbled. Unfortunately, as some of you know, I was talked into breeding my Silky Terrier with a Yorkie. (The 'breeer'--BYB--told me they were the same breed...:eek:) In stupidity, I believed her. I suppose she just wanted a few bucks (she got pick of the litter :rolleyes: and sold him for like $700!) We were exteremlystupid to breed without researching at all. Silky Terriers, and Yorkies are both hypoallergenic, they are both fairly small, they both are prone to hip & knee issues, etc, etc. So they're alot alike. Why intentionally breed them? What are you getting that you couldn't from a purebred of either? We were stupid enough to think it was okay to do so, and planned on breeding our little Lucy(one of the silky/yorkie pups), but thankfully, I found this place, and got some sence knocked into me. We have planned to spay her. Anyway, other than price (we sold our pups for $500 (WOW, don't ask me why people actually paid that, or what made us think to charge that much) and the average Silky Terrier is about $800, and the average Yorkie is about $1,000(mine was $1,500)) they really give you the same thing a Silky or a Yorkie would. And I'm sure that for 50 bucks you could find the same mix at a shelter, and be saving a life at the same time. Thankfully, we actually were intelligent enough to find really good homes for all the puppies, and the owners were informed that if they could no longer care for them, that we'd happily have them back, so they won't end up in shelters. I wouldn't take my mistake back for anything (I wouldn't have my Lucy Lu) but I don't reccomend to ANYONE breeding Mixed breeds. Although my point to this whole thing really, is that I think all breeds were mixed at some point, and if you can find a good standard, and purpose for the breed, and eventually get it accepted to the AKC, then awesome. But there's really no reason to breed mixes that have no purpose other than be a lap dog, when there are already so many breeds that are already great at it. :)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
If you find a flaw in my Novel, please let me know. I just kinda started typing, and didn't even check it over or anything. I may have left something out (including words :D). I hope that post actually makes any sence.....:p

hy·po·al·ler·gen·ic (hp-lr-jnk) adj.

-Having a decreased tendency to provoke an allergic reaction-

I just wanted to point out that many people mistake HYPOallergenic as meaning non allergenic, when hypo just means LESS. So maybe they did succeed in making a Labradoodle hypoallergenic, but seeing as this means it causes less of an allergic reaction, there are quite a few breeds who cause less of an allergic reaction then others. Therefore making many breeds hypoallergenic and making a Labradoodle not so special really. They are just another unnecessary designer mutt who people try to pull off as one that causes no allergy in anyone ever.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Well, most breeders try to imply that being hypoallergenic means that no one is allergic, but the ones that are low-shed are only good for people allergic to pet hair. Alot of people are allergic to pet dander, which, if i'm not mistaken, all dogs have some of.

Edit: But great point! :D

Members online