Disc Dog Training

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
My friend with Sloans aunt wears a special vest, does that ring a bell for disc doggers?

Also his mom has special thigh guards she uses in Flyball from dogs starting on her lap, I can ask but I think they're from her dancing days when she was touring in some crazy stunt dancing shows.

My thighs/stomach/chest/face are just starting to recover from teaching the rebound. I'm still hesitating on the vault because it's scary.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Sara/Jess, you guys need to let me know when the big, awesome competitions are so that I can request off and come cheer you guys on!!!

Also...I need to really get started on working with Siri in a more serious manner...

I"m sure underarmour makes something that would work. I know the make a lot of baseball and hockey under gear that has padding sewn into the thigh area. Otherwise there are also neoprene thigh sleeves that would help.

Dex

Sara/Jess, you guys need to let me know when the big, awesome competitions are so that I can request off and come cheer you guys on!!!

Also...I need to really get started on working with Siri in a more serious manner...
Send me your email and I'll add you to the google calendar I made of disc dog events :D

Red.Apricot

This looks like such a blast! I wish Elsie were willing to do this, but she's so reluctant to touch people with her paws I'm not sure she'd enjoy it (normally I like that she's really aware of herself, buuut, lol).

Inspired by this thread, I purchased 5x blem hero air discs off of Amazon and am getting Gypsy interested. So far, so good. She loves jumping and catching them, though she's vastly limited by my crap throwing ability. Ha ha.

Maan, I'd love to try those vaults, but with Gyp at ~43 lbs, I think I'd kill myself.

Are there any sites with, like, "move"/technique and training suggestions? Right now we're working on catching and dropping on cue, close up and distantly. Gypsy likes to take a victory lap after catching anything, so I'm trying to get her to knock that off and refocus immediately on me.

SaraB

My friend with Sloans aunt wears a special vest, does that ring a bell for disc doggers?

Also his mom has special thigh guards she uses in Flyball from dogs starting on her lap, I can ask but I think they're from her dancing days when she was touring in some crazy stunt dancing shows.
Ya, I have a DK vaulting vest. I would love to hear about the thigh guards! I had my physical last year right after we started vaults. It was tough work to convince the doctor that I wasn't being abused by my husband with all the bruises on my thighs!

SaraB

Inspired by this thread, I purchased 5x blem hero air discs off of Amazon and am getting Gypsy interested. So far, so good. She loves jumping and catching them, though she's vastly limited by my crap throwing ability. Ha ha.

Maan, I'd love to try those vaults, but with Gyp at ~43 lbs, I think I'd kill myself.

Are there any sites with, like, "move"/technique and training suggestions? Right now we're working on catching and dropping on cue, close up and distantly. Gypsy likes to take a victory lap after catching anything, so I'm trying to get her to knock that off and refocus immediately on me.
I'm on my phone, but I know I've linked to the pawsitive vybe youtube channel a bit in this thread. They are really the go to people for online videos. Everything from foundation work, to drops on cue, to throws and fancy things like vaults.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one bruised and scratched! :lol-sign:

I don't know what was up with Talon today, but man he was springy! Honestly, he is not really a jumper. Some dogs are naturally springy, but Talon has never jumped on anyone without encouragment or on anything without encouragement really. He's not springy! But today, he was springy! Random jumping into me was oh so suprising lol

Funny thing, I think it hurt a LOT less with Talon jumping off me than Art! Talon weighs almost twice as much as Art, how is this even possible? :confused:

IDK, but I was kinda excited. Frisbee training has been kinda bad as it's been super windy here. I don't mind the rain, we enjoy it as no one is using the park, but the wind is impossible. >_<

Also.....this is what we are going to go to!

https://www.facebook.com/events/532236540143328/

! Yay! Should be fun :) We are really not expecting much honestly, and probably won't be working hard as he is still young, but I thought it would be neat to have fun and get use to the atmospher :) Any tips?

SaraB

I'm so glad I'm not the only one bruised and scratched! :lol-sign:

I don't know what was up with Talon today, but man he was springy! Honestly, he is not really a jumper. Some dogs are naturally springy, but Talon has never jumped on anyone without encouragment or on anything without encouragement really. He's not springy! But today, he was springy! Random jumping into me was oh so suprising lol

Funny thing, I think it hurt a LOT less with Talon jumping off me than Art! Talon weighs almost twice as much as Art, how is this even possible? :confused:

IDK, but I was kinda excited. Frisbee training has been kinda bad as it's been super windy here. I don't mind the rain, we enjoy it as no one is using the park, but the wind is impossible. >_<

Also.....this is what we are going to go to!

https://www.facebook.com/events/532236540143328/

! Yay! Should be fun :) We are really not expecting much honestly, and probably won't be working hard as he is still young, but I thought it would be neat to have fun and get use to the atmospher :) Any tips?
Very cool! You'll have to let us know how it is! Is it outdoors? Bring chairs and a canopy if you have one, as well as crates for the dogs.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Very cool! You'll have to let us know how it is! Is it outdoors? Bring chairs and a canopy if you have one, as well as crates for the dogs.
I have some chairs I can bring but no canopy, hopefully it wont rain on us, but it's washington so who knows lol

Yesterday we had a break in the wind so went to the park to practice, I think Talon did pretty good. I think I did fairly decent as well :p

It's really hard to hold a camera and throw the discs though lol He cought 3 out of 5 on this one, but he was averaging about 4 out of 5. :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Talon looks great!!

I'm going to try to go into the comp thinking he won't catch a single one, so that if he catches any of them it will be fantastic :p Plus I want to see how he handles the environment. :D

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Any advice on teaching a dog how to track better? We've been messing around practicing a little, throwing some rollers and some frisbees from where he can see them coming, but he is just terrible at tracking anything in the air. Any ideas to teach him to look up? :lol-sign:

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Any advice on teaching a dog how to track better? We've been messing around practicing a little, throwing some rollers and some frisbees from where he can see them coming, but he is just terrible at tracking anything in the air. Any ideas to teach him to look up? :lol-sign:
Does he like any other toys? Like a ball or squeky or something?

What really helped Talon was looking for the ball. We'd throw it up just enough so he had to look up but he could see it and then when he got that we started throwing it much higher. He started learning to look up when he didn't see it just looking around. I think that really helped him. We really didn't do it on purpose, but when my boyfriend was playing fetch with him he started doing that and now Talon looks up for the frisbee when he can't see where it is with just looking around.

Sekah

The Monster.
I brought my camera and my discs out to the park yesterday and took a bit of film.

[YOUTUBE]gHSxaWZpJak[/YOUTUBE]

I edited out lots of our misses and downtime, but you get the idea. I'm really happy at how far Cohen and I have progressed in a week or two, and I imagine we'll continue to improve. We're still super new to this.

You can see some of the issues I'm having with Cohen dropping the disc and flipping it over to carry it back, but I imagine that will fade as she and I improve. I'm also having a bit of trouble getting a quick drop on her run back, but again with practice I think we'll be fine.

SaraB

You can see some of the issues I'm having with Cohen dropping the disc and flipping it over to carry it back, but I imagine that will fade as she and I improve. I'm also having a bit of trouble getting a quick drop on her run back, but again with practice I think we'll be fine.
NICE flips!! Love those Aussie springs.

You are on the right track with everything, the oppositional feeding to get the drop on cue (call the drop, mark it and reward with another throw off of the dog's line). I can't have the sound on with the video because I'm at work, but are you verbally marking the drop after you call it? That should help Cohen put two and two together.

I *think* the issue with dropping the disc and flipping it over will decrease as her drive increases for the game. You can try making it more fun and fast paced to see if that helps by running away from her and making her catch you with the disc in her mouth.

Sekah

The Monster.
NICE flips!! Love those Aussie springs.

You are on the right track with everything, the oppositional feeding to get the drop on cue (call the drop, mark it and reward with another throw off of the dog's line). I can't have the sound on with the video because I'm at work, but are you verbally marking the drop after you call it? That should help Cohen put two and two together.

I *think* the issue with dropping the disc and flipping it over will decrease as her drive increases for the game. You can try making it more fun and fast paced to see if that helps by running away from her and making her catch you with the disc in her mouth.
Thanks! I think as we progress Cohen will have some nice flips -- I've seen a marked improvement in them just over the last week.

Glad to hear I'm on the right track. I'll use more chasing games to encourage a speedier return and not flipping over the disc. I know I could be clearer marking the disc drop (I brought a clicker to the park, but left it in my bag because handling it and everything else felt ungainly). I think we'll continue to improve as Cohen's desire to catch and hold increases, and my throws get more reliable. I'll have to start looking up more how-tos to incorporate a few more tricks into our repertoire.

SaraB

Thanks! I think as we progress Cohen will have some nice flips -- I've seen a marked improvement in them just over the last week.

Glad to hear I'm on the right track. I'll use more chasing games to encourage a speedier return and not flipping over the disc. I know I could be clearer marking the disc drop (I brought a clicker to the park, but left it in my bag because handling it and everything else felt ungainly). I think we'll continue to improve as Cohen's desire to catch and hold increases, and my throws get more reliable. I'll have to start looking up more how-tos to incorporate a few more tricks into our repertoire.
I just use a verbal marker, "yes", instead of a clicker. Otherwise, you're right, it gets to be too much!

Members online

No members online now.