Puppy will chew everything BUT kongs

thatdude

Hi, I bought a Kong awhile back for my puppy to chew on, and he hasn't touched it besides licking the stuffing out of it...how can I encourage him to chew it? Can I get some flavor on it somehow? I really want to get him chewing it because all he really likes to chew is rawhides and plush, and he rips both apart in no-time, and Kongs can actually hold up.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Some pups take awhile to start chewing on them. Other than putting some stuffing inside of it, there's not much else you can do to tempt the pup.

femke

my puppy only ever is interested in her kong when there's something in it for her to eat lol. other than that she doesn't even look at it. Have you tried stuffing it and then freezing it? Other people told me to do this and it lasts her much longer!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Keep in mind that some dogs just don't like Kongs. I know mine doesn't, and I tried everything under the sun to get him to chew it. If he still doesn't show any interest, try alternative hard chewies, like puppy nylabones or galileo toys.

thatdude

Well I tried the freezing thing with chicken borth, then with beef....nothing- yes I've been stuffing the Kong, it's just when it's not stuffed he shows no interest at all; I guess a few people here are in the same boat! :p Thing that sucks about it though is I've been looking to get him one of the dental Kongs for his gums, and I have a feeling he won't use them... :\ oh well i spose :p

Twilight

Boxer Rescue
Mine dont like the kongs either unless there stuffed

thats all i use them for! just to keep them busy for a while, i dont use them as toys, they have other toys what they like to pay with, but only like the kongs when there is food in them.

Members online