Ear Hair

How do you get the hair out of their ears without having to "pluck" it out? Everyone I've asked said you have to pluck it out but I feel like I'm going to hurt her if I do that. Plus she is a little baby about everything so I'm scared I'm gonna make her whimper and stuff and then she'll be upset with me. :( I groom her myself so she doesnt go to a groomer, but if I brought her to one just to get the hair out of her ears, would they do it?

nicco

Wolfpack
Hi!
Well...what can I say? I have experience with these kind of things and in most of the cases we pluck the hair...it's the best thing to do because it grows later...But if the hair doesn't pluck or you don't want to pluck it, you can cut it with the cissors, but very carefully so that you wont hurt the ear.
Nicco :cool:

Actually plucking the hair from their ears doesn't really hurt them. In my opinion it is similar to a gal who plucks her eyebrows - the 1st time was a little sensitive but as time goes on it is really nothing.

There is a powder you can buy at a pet shop to lightly coat the hair with to make it easier to grab on to (although when I've done it myself I haven't used the powder). Grab a few strands of hair with the tips of your fingers and twist it and then pull and it should come out easily.

If you don't want to do it I'm sure if you call a groomer you will find one who is willing to do it for you for a small fee.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Ditto to nicco. You can make it work with scissors, but plucking is really the best way to do it.

With breeds that have hair that actually grows inside their ears like a poodle, if you don't pluck it out they are very prone to having problems with ear infections due to the hair holding in moisture and dirt and creating an environment that is ideal for infections.

Khristine

poodlesmom said:
With breeds that have hair that actually grows inside their ears like a poodle, if you don't pluck it out they are very prone to having problems with ear infections due to the hair holding in moisture and dirt and creating an environment that is ideal for infections.

my yorkies have hair in their ears! a lot and just got over an ear infection and i'm scared to pluck since they are no longer 8 weeks anymore.. (they are 5 months)

siemens716 said:
Why do you want to pluck out the hair?

Hair usually serves a purpose, keeps dust and dirt out, etc...
Maybe because I dont want my dog to get an ear infection. Not to be rude, but I asked how to get the hair out, not for you to ask me why I want to get it out. So maybe next time if you dont have the right answer for a post, you shouldnt reply. Just a thought. :cool:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
we can all have differences of opinions without putting each other down..i don't see anything wrong with the posts that siemen has made..not all breeds get ear infections from the hair that is there..in fact i dont think they pluck the hair out of Giant Schnauzers...unless you are a groomer, or have a breed that requires such treatment you might not know that it is a standard practice..and it does sound a bit cruel. I powder is usually applied that helps loosen the folical allowing it to be removed without much discomfort, but for many breeds it isn't needed at all..even breeds that have hair in their ears for example shelties with their lovely feathers. It is in breeds where the ears stay moist that require such treatment..so hey can everybody be nice..it makes it far more pleasant for everyone..especially fuzzy bunnies like me :)

RD

Are you dead yet?
I pluck my dog's ear hair... They cried and whined about it the first time (Well, Ripley does every time, but Dakota's used to it now) but if it'll prevent them from getting an ear infection it is well worth it, and I am more comfortable with plucking than I am with sticking scissors in my dog's ear.

lilly

ok people if u dont fight any more, ill give u a doggie treat!how bout my moms home-made ones?they r good for people-and their dogs!

Members online

No members online now.