Urgent, Need Help With Dwarf Hamsters

Doodley

Yesterday we purchased two young dwarf hamsters from a local Petco. They are brothers and get along quite nicely. One of the hamsters seems to be healthy and happy- running around, curious, eating, and runs on the wheel a lot. The other is our problem. (It may help to note that he was the runt).

We were told that both hamsters are males, but this hamster's behavior could suggest that it may be female, and pregnant. It doesn't like to be touched, and yesterday slept all day and night. Most of the time it has its eyes closed and doesn't move too much. We haven't seen it eat, drink, or run on the wheel yet. It also looks a little chubbier than the other dwarf.

Initially we thought that the hamster was just adjusting to its new home, but 24 hours later this behavior has continued. I've had lots of hamsters before, and none have acted so strange. Is the hamster dying, pregnant, or just odd?

ya I'm pretty sure that's a girl. But I am inexperienced. My dwarf hamster is the meanest little thing and bites anything in front of him, he will actually lunge at and attck anything I put in the cage. So I just let him be. I don't know if mine is male or female.

If she lets you poke around down there, check out this site for comparison.

Last edited:

Schatze

It's a girl

You can tell by looking at their rear end. The males will have a longer body because at the end is their testes. If you still can't determine their sex, just flip 'em over. If the hole is close to their anus, it's a female. If it's a bit farther away, it's a male. Hope this helps :cool:

Lol, my hamster was the nicest hamster ever. He never bites! Just nibbles lightly if he doesn't like the way you hold him. Here are some pictures of him =)

aww he is cute! I thought about getting another one, but since I don't know the sex of mine I probably won't. Maybe after this little one passes. He was found in the summer heat in a plastic box on the front step of a Frat house when the students moved out. Idiots. He was probably never handled or else maybe he was picked on or poked at or something. I have tried handling him a few times, even after leaving him alone a few days and then each day talking to him and putting my hand hear the cage, he still lunges and attacks. Oh well, he may be mean but at least he has food and water and a clean living space for the rest of his little life :)

Schatze

Try wearing gloves, maybe garden gloves. that's how I introduced my hamster to being handled. =)

neapolitanpitbull

Never enough pets
That hamster is a girl and you should definetly buy her a cage of her own and get her a few GIRL (make sure they are girls this time) buddies. She will keep mating and probably die if kept with that male. So please, immedietly buy her her own cage and get her a few GIRL friends to live with her. She is probably pregnant if housed with that male so please get her into another cage IMMEDIETLY so she can eat and drink without getting mated with. And enjoy the babies! I hope to see pictures. And my friend Sarah will definetly want a female baby when she has them! So if you want we can PM and talk about it. If you dont have the money to buy more supplies and another cage, then she can probably take the little girl, if you want. I don't know. I will PM you :)

Members online

No members online now.