Recall

My friend should teach Lotta to come when called. She has sometimes trained that. She has noticed that some people use also whistle for recall. If the whistle is used for recall, how will the dog learn to come also without it? My friend thinks she would use a bell inside instead of whistle because Lotta doesn't always react to speach.

Since my friend would like to teach Lotta to come both with verbal cue and a bell, where should she begin? Should she teach in one way at the time and wait until she has teached that completely? Or could she teach them alternately? So, how would you teach your dog to come when you ring a bell? Would you then use also a verbal cue?

My friend has sometimes noticed that they have mentioned somewhere that you could also use a hand target for recall. How does this work? If you have already teached that, do you say the touch cue? How do you change that so, that you could use the actual recall cue?

My friend uses a clicker because her dog sometimes moves so fast and she wouldn't otherwise have enough time to reward her dog when she does something right and she reacts differently to speak and a click. We have created a thread where we discuss more about Lotta's training and behavior.

We asked about this:

My friend should teach Lotta to come when called. She has sometimes trained that. She has noticed that some people use also whistle for recall. If the whistle is used for recall, how will the dog learn to come also without it? My friend thinks she would use a bell inside instead of whistle because Lotta doesn't always react to speach.

Since my friend would like to teach Lotta to come both with verbal cue and a bell, where should she begin? Should she teach in one way at the time and wait until she has teached that completely? Or could she teach them alternately? So, how would you teach your dog to come when you ring a bell? Would you then use also a verbal cue?

My friend has sometimes noticed that they have mentioned somewhere that you could also use a hand target for recall. How does this work? If you have already teached that, do you say the touch cue? How do you change that so, that you could use the actual recall cue?

My friend uses a clicker because her dog sometimes moves so fast and she wouldn't otherwise have enough time to reward her dog when she does something right and she reacts differently to speak and a click. We have created a thread where we discuss more about Lotta's training and behavior.
The last part of the message meant that my friend is looking for ways to teach those things with a clicker.

Maxy24

If you teach a dog to come to a whistle then they will come to a whistle. If you teach them to come to a voice command they will come to a voice command. You can also teach them both things separately and then they will come to both.

I would teach it one way first, probably the voice command because I think that's more important (since you might not always have a bell on you to use). After the dog knows to come to the voice command transitioning to a bell should be easy. You would ring the bell, pause for two seconds, then give the voice command, and then reward her when she comes. Eventually she will figure out that you always call her right after ringing the bell and so she will come when you ring the bell, anticipating what is going to happen next. eventually she will always come when the bell rings without you having to also give the voice command. Just be careful with a bell so make sure it doesn't ring when you don't want it to (like if it's in your pocket or a bag).

Yes you can use a hand target to start. If the dog already knows a touch cue then you would use the new recall cue BEFORE the touch cue. Pause briefly between the two cues. So you'll say "Lotta come" *pause* "Lotta touch" and then reward when she targets your hand. Many dogs know to target your hand when you present it even without a voice cue. If Lotta will touch the hand without you having to say touch then you can just say "Lotta come" and then present your hand instead of saying "Lotta touch". Just like with the bell situation above, the dog will learn that after you give the recall cue you always give the touch cue, so, after you give the recall cue, she may run to you anticipating that you are going to give the touch cue. That's why you should pause between cues, to give her a chance to come if she has figured it out. Then you should reward that heavily when she comes to the new recall cue.

Here is a good video for teaching a basic recall with a voice command:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL9Rk-8KF9I

There are LOTS of videos out there on teaching come.

My friend already knows how to teach this with a verbal cue. My friend has every now and then teached Lotta to come with it.

I would teach it one way first, probably the voice command because I think that's more important (since you might not always have a bell on you to use). After the dog knows to come to the voice command transitioning to a bell should be easy. You would ring the bell, pause for two seconds, then give the voice command, and then reward her when she comes....//.... Just be careful with a bell so make sure it doesn't ring when you don't want it to (like if it's in your pocket or a bag).
The bell would be used only inside.

Yes you can use a hand target to start. If the dog already knows a touch cue then you would use the new recall cue BEFORE the touch cue. Pause briefly between the two cues. So you'll say "Lotta come" *pause* "Lotta touch" and then reward when she targets your hand. Many dogs know to target your hand when you present it even without a voice cue...
My friend's questions relates mostly to when or how to add those other things to this behavior. My friend still has this question: if she begins with a bell and touch, should she teach one way at the time? If so, which one should my friend teach with first since she has this problem: Lotta doesn't always react to speach especially when they are in different rooms.

OR

Could my friend teach both of the ways for example at the same day in two different training session?

Maxy24

If she wants to teach touch and come to a bell she can be teaching them at the same time but in different training sessions. I don't think that would confuse the dog as they are pretty different behaviors.

We had sometimes created this thread and told that my friend should teach Lotta to come when called and that she had sometimes trained that. She had noticed that some people use also a whistle for recall. She asked if the whistle is used for recall, how does the dog learn to come also without it. My friend thought that she would use a bell instead when she would be training Lotta inside because she doesn't always react to speach.

My friend had also noticed that you could use also a hand target for recall. She asked how does that work.

If you teach a dog to come to a whistle then they will come to a whistle. If you teach them to come to a voice command they will come to a voice command. You can also teach them both things separately and then they will come to both.

I would teach it one way first, probably the voice command because I think that's more important (since you might not always have a bell on you to use). After the dog knows to come to the voice command transitioning to a bell should be easy......./

/.......Yes you can use a hand target to start. If the dog already knows a touch cue then you would use the new recall cue BEFORE the touch cue. Pause briefly between the two cues. So you'll say "Lotta come" *pause* "Lotta touch" and then reward when she targets your hand...
My friend was going to try what you had sometimes suggested but now she's not sure how she could teach Lotta to come on cue. My friend has seen for example these tutorials:
[YOUTUBE]u_BEXER4lGo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]RyVNeOAq35A[/YOUTUBE]

One of the issues my friend has is that Lotta often follows my friend around. :D If she rewards Lotta when she comes to her, she just stays there and doesn't go anywhere so that my friend could continue the training. My friend has sometimes tried throwing the treat but now she suspects that if she throws it and Lotta runs to take it, running away becomes part of the behavior. So, how would you teach the dog that follows you around to come on cue also from longer distance away? My friend does know that one can play a game where the dog runs back and forth between two people. However, she is often alone when she's training Lotta. So, what could she do?

When my friend is outside with Lotta she does go further away from her but she could train Lotta there only if she had own yard. It's because there are too many distractions outside. Lotta often sees other dogs and people there. Since Lotta likes people so much she would like to go to everyone. :p Lotta may also see birds outside and when she does, she may sometimes run after them. There are also a lot of smells there. Besides, my friend has read and heard that one should start teaching a new behavior first inside where there are not many distractions.

1. Call Lotta to 'come' either - with your bell, with your 'touch' cue, with a verbal cue.

2. Reward her for coming.

3. Teach a release cue. My dog for example, uses "go play" as a release. In the house we use 'okay' to release him.

4. Call Lotta to you, reward, release.

To teach the release cue:
Call Lotta to you, reward for 'come'.
Say "Okay" or "Release" and wait for her to leave - any movement away from you, click + treat.

Say "okay" or "release" again and wait for her to leave - again, any movement away from you, click + treat.

Practice this indoors and introduce distractions slowly.

Members online

No members online now.