Tell me I do not need a papillon

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Speaking as a person who currently has 8 adult dogs in the house, plus one more on most weekends, I'd probably tell you no, don't do it. 6 is a lot of dogs, no matter the size. That said, all of mine are quite high energy, so that does add in. That said, once I move out with my two, I'll likely never have more than two or three again.

.... She IS awful cute though...

monkeys23

For me it would depend on if the pap girlie is going to need to do sports or whatnot. That energy level would be the determining factor as far as whats best for the pack IMO.

Grab

Nog says there is nothing wrong with dog #6;)

I do think there is a vast difference in having multiple very high energy/have to do something dogs and having more low key dogs. I can say that I probably wouldn't be able to handle even one 'we must go run' dog in my house. But, all of my dogs are content to take leisurely strolls and, aside from that, lounge around. The difference between 5 and 6 here was really negligible and didn't detract attention from anyone..as they all do exactly the same things. As it is, Nog sleeps on top of Goose, so he doesn't even take up extra room.;)

If your house isn't chaotic and you don't feel stretched for time, there would probably be little difference in an extra small dog, lol.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I mean, if you think about it, you really only have 2 dogs right now, since the chihuahuas just travel everywhere in one large group LOL

JessLough

Love My Mutt
um, no, you don't NEED her.

But you want her, and she needs a home, and I'm sure you'd love her so much and she'd be tons and tons of fun, and you don't have a black and white one yet, and papillons are like frilly fancy little chihuahuas, and if you have six, three can go on each side of Rory in family pictures.
I hate to burst your bubble, but you may want to try that math again. :p
It would have to be 7 dogs for 3 on each side of Rory.

CaliTerp07

I do think there is a vast difference in having multiple very high energy/have to do something dogs and having more low key dogs.
That's true! Having a high energy dog and hanging out with all my agility friends (also with high energy dogs), I forget there is such a thing as a mellow lounge dog :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Normally , like if you wanted to have 6, similar type of temperament, similarly into doing the same kinds of things with you dogs in a home where they are being crate/rotated... I'd say "think of the others, attention spread out etc.."

But you have the money, the space..and really the time. You dogs are so DIFFERENT LOL It's not like you have 6 super high energy dogs that crave one-on-one agility time. They all have special times with you from what I've read here and all play really well together as a group.. so I say..

GET HER!

Plus, she needs a home.

Doberluv

I'd kind of worry about each dog getting enough attention in a way. When I had four, then 5 for a spell, I always felt like one was getting the short end of the stick a little bit. When Lyric was a pup, I kind of felt like both Chi's were getting ripped off when I spent so much time training him. I really didn't do much with the Chi's besides our daily off leash hikes or walks. But you know your own situation and your own self best and how it would work better than anyone else. I'm just looking at it from my own perspective, I guess. Well....I'm sure you've given all that lots of thought.

milos_mommy

I hate to burst your bubble, but you may want to try that math again. :p
It would have to be 7 dogs for 3 on each side of Rory.
DARN IT.

I'm so bad at math and for some reason I was picturing six little ones.
I guess now you put two on either side of Rory.
The papillon can sit in between his front paws :p

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Paps are very dog orientated. They adore their people but are very content to hang out in a pack. They prefer groups. So coming into your home will be great for her. You will find her more border collie like in energy type then the chis are as well.

Aside from that, if you take her you have to take Riley. She projection puke painted my stair case today and I'm looking to rehome. LOL

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Enjoy them. :) They cuddle, they chill, they walk, they hike, they are pleasant. You can still do sports with mellow dogs, just not the same level.
Chill dogs are awesome, as are high energy dogs :)

I live with 2 very high energy dogs- Rory and Emma. Rylie and Chloe are super chill. Tucker's somewhere in between.

They all get along. We don't have to crate/rotate or separate them. They all eat together, they all sleep together, and the chihuahuas kind of ARE like one. Haha.

I've always known I was going to have a lot of pets, and I honestly wouldn't want any less than 4-5 dogs. It's like when someone has more than 3 kids and people ask "how do you have time for them all?" We do a lot of things in groups, muliple dogs go on hikes with us, and my arms get a little more tired from throwing toys for a few dogs at a time.

Grab

We are the same. Anything less than four dogs would just seem empty.

I do always find it amusing that, at least in my experience, no one ever asks someone with multiple children 'How do you handle it, it's unfair to your older children?!" or "you're having another?!" when someone is pregnant. And many times,people admonish "Don't get dogs close in age" Yet, getting another dog is always 'more?! How will you keep up on attention?!" lol. Kids are WAY more attention needing than dogs. My kid wasn't even out of swaddle age when people asked "when are you having more??" Ah...just the one, thank you.

Mind you, I have the Border Collie of children....without the benefit of a "stay" command.;)

CaliTerp07

I do always find it amusing that, at least in my experience, no one ever asks someone with multiple children 'How do you handle it, it's unfair to your older children?!" or "you're having another?!" when someone is pregnant.
lol, I do ask that, actually. Not to anyone's face, but I often think it when the harried mother of 4+ is pregnant again. I see it a lot at my school. The older kids miss out on attention from their parents and act out at school to get that desired attention. Often it's because they have 2-3 little (not yet school aged) siblings at home, and mom and dad have no time for the oldest kiddo.

Members online

No members online now.