dogs or kids

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I drop my dogs off when i leave to their "sitters" just like i would children because i do not expect them to go 8-10 hours without being able to go outside. I know they could, but i do not expect anymore of them than i do myself. I am lucky that i have sitters. Its a pain in the rear when it comes to picking them up and i am exhausted, but when i saw Hy and mary go into mom's house i noticed that Mary's tail was wagging for all it was worth. THen when i took Pepper over to Logan's house (he wanted her to come visit him and had requested to be her sitter, i didn't pay him) i noticed too that her tail was wagging to beat the band. VIctor went to the guild to hang out with his people friends and me. I wish more people could work out something similar. Very happy dogs and very happy people are always a win win.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Its a nice idea, I don't think Buster would be mad on that sort of situation though, he isn't interested in other people and definetly not in other dogs. I trust pretty much no one with him and he sleeps all day whether I'm hear or not.
Most days these days he's inside asleep on my bed because Harry is outside, other days he's outside sleeping in the sun all day. Either way he seems none to worse coz of it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Pepper adores LOgan's dog Butch and has a romping good time, she also got in a mile run with LOgan or at least he said they were going to run i do not know for sure. Mary adores GG's kitchen and the lovely scraps that might come her way. SHe was able to go out when she needed and had Hy for company. None of that would have happened if i had left home alone. Especially at Mary's age i think it unwise to ask her to hold her bowel and bladder that long. IF i ever get even half of my energy back i want to start a senior pet sitting partnership and a Summertime Teen pup sitters too. THere are a lot of good kids out there.

Barb04

Super Moderator
That sounds like a wonderful idea Smkie. So glad all the dogs and people had a good day.

My three, not so much.

Bimmer does NOT like being anywhere that's not home where I am not. Kharma's much the same way. Tallulah would rather be with her Bimmer and Kharma than anyone else. She even prefers to go for walks with one of them than just the two of us, lol!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I realize it isn't for all dogs, but for so many that are being crated while their owners go to work, it would be so much better, at least imo for everyone. I don't think it would be that hard of a program to get rolling. I knew my dogs were going to have a great day. It made me happy to see them seperate from the family pack, into their own special circle of friends. To know their day would be filled with comfort and for Pepper great play time. RAther then stuck in my bedroom waiting on me possibly uncomfortable with a full bladder and i don't know how they do it for i couldn't hold my bowels if i had to go for any length of time. Mary especially needs to not have to go through that. FOr this coming month is her birthday month and she will be 15. For Pepper it is all the more socialization which considering her temperment, and her need of confidence, is ideal in helping her bloom to become the well rounded dog i know she can be. IT doesn't mean that the dog is going to bond with their sitter either, they know who their leader is and if a dog is nothing else, they are loyal. Just means they have more friends and that is a fine thing.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
My dogs don't go to a sitter's because they prefer being a five-some and I don't know of anyone who would be willing to baby-sit my five for six hours when the summer is over. For now, they play non-stop. We live in the country, and our dogs are allowed free range. They don't need sitters and they have absolutly nowhere to go, anyway, there's no cities or roads direct to our house, so I don't worry about them. They can sleep and stay wherever they want; inside or out.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
YOur dogs have it a lot better then my neighbors. Most of them don't even get walked. THe yard is it. ANd when they leave the howling begins. Its sad to hear. I was glad when the people behind me rehomed their german shepard pup, that was too big of an active dog to be shoved in a crate all day long and she sang the blues enough to break your heart. SUrely there is someway to make it possible for a working family to have a pup and not have to put the dog through that. VIctor boohooed like a baby when i got out of the car to take Pepper to Logan. BUt he quickly got over it. He had an evening over there last week and had a fine time. I guess i think of mine as children..not dogs. WIth their own lives and social circles. i am very fortunate to be able to be with them most of the time, but when i am not, it is a relief to me that they do not feel distress, especially my old girl. I could never afford doggy daycare, and i think that kind of setting would stress Victor out to no end. What i would like to do is arrange a senior pair up. FOr living on social security is harder then hard. ANd i can't imagine too many dog loving seniors that wouldn't mind pet sitting for a grocery gift card of a fair amount. Would pair up the two types of people i love most.

I am so very fortunate to have Logan in my life. He is an upstanding young man that is very dedicated to the dog world. He works at the shelter on sats, uncommon for someone so young, and is very helpful to the dogs in the neighborhood. SOmeone blessed me from above when they crossed paths between his long distance need to run, and my dogs that need to do the same thing. His dogs couldn't run like that, i think it would be disasterous for Butch's feet, and cheeto is too small. I count my blessings in this situation i really do.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
Remember Layla? The Boxer pup of mine? Well the GSD pup reminded me of her. The reason Layla got dumped is because they had her in a crate for 9+ hours a day and she was too strong willed to deal with it. She ripped her face open and tore all of her teeth out trying to get out of it for 9 hours straight. They dumped her, I took her, and she is finally in a good home with people who are home all day.

It's sad people cannot commit the time their dogs' need to them. They want a dog, and then lock it up for half the day. I don't even see a point of a dog, then. Sure, people have to work, but having the dog locked up in a crate for 6+ hours? That's wrong, especially being in a crate, and especially for puppies. If it was an adult, potty-trained dog that got to stay inside, that'd be fine for a couple hours.

I am sooo happy we are finally in the country. I hated living in the city with four dogs. Too hectic and the dogs couldn't run unless I had them on a leash. That got hectic a lot of the time. Now, we are FINALLY in the country with five dogs, and they're all very happy. They spend all day running and playing in the woods, going down the the river, climbing logs. And three times a day I take all five for a long hike over huge logs to the other part of our property so they can run and play to their hearts content. If they want to follow me back down the hike to the main property, they can, if not, they can stay and find their own way back. We have no roads near our house and the driveway they wouldn't think of walking up, as it is too long. Plus, they know their way back perfectly well [our woods aren't too big, no bears or anything]. I think my dogs have it as close to being wild as it can get! They are allowed to sleep under or on the deck outside, wherever they want, basically and they can run free for hours on end. Tired dogs are happy dogs, and dogs locked up all day cannot be happy!

Good for you getting your dogs a sitter! :D That's absolutly awesome.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THat is why i started this thread. I am trying to crack open a door of opportunity that i think maybe out there. It just needs to be started somehow. I know my Mom would babysit a pup, a young dog, probably because of her age a small one, if she thought she could get some grocery money out of it. And of course you would have to screen, and there would be risk, but i think the risk not near as bad as the mental damage that occurs. people around here are getting the idea that it is acceptable to do this and i so do think it is not at all. But i understand the need and desire to have a dog. SO i will keep trying, and in the meantime talk it over with people i know. WHo knows, maybe on a small scale we can give it a go. THere are so many elders that are dog lovers that cannot afford to have a pet or they feel they are too old to take on a responsibility. It would require all the same checks as a child's babysitter so you know it would be safe for both. But even in a small community i bet there is at least one chance of finding one. Just seems there should be a way.

I am so very sorry for Layla the poor poor baby. SHe must have a strong spirit to fight it so hard. IT is knowing that this is being repeated daily in so many homes that i find mind boggling. People have to work, that is a given, i just feel the crate is too easy of an answer.

Last edited:

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
Yes. Maybe we could start a sticky thread with the names of people who can pet-sit around the world? We'll put the name and the state in our post, and then we can start a new thread with all of the names organized. How does that sound?

I'll add my name :D

SmexyPibble ~ Washington [state]

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
WOrks for me!!!!! I sit VIrgo and Sawyer when needed:D Kansas city Missouri

Members online

No members online now.