Colorado people...

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
First off, thank you ALL for the replies!

Also, you are killing me with all the gorgeous pictures!!

Worst things: Winter/snow/ice/driving to work, tourists everywhere, HOT HOT HOT in the summer (especially on this side of the mountains).

If you want to visit I do have a spare bedroom. And am fully willing to ferry you around Springs/Denver. Just sayin'..... ;)

Edited: Because I can't do math and also to say that I vastly prefer Springs over Denver. Partially because I am a small town girl at heart and Denver is ENORMOUS and partially because I hate driving in Denver so much. Anecdata ftw! But if I were you I would look at both places - can't hurt.
Snow and cold don't bother me, I live in Minnesota.
Ice doesn't bother me, I lived in Pennsylvania :p
One thing I NEVER expected about Minnesota was for it to be so.****.hot. in the summer. Like seriously, you walk outside and just start sweating from the humidity and heat. It's terrible. I hate summer in every state I've ever lived in, so I guess I can't let that bother me either.

And I will so take you up on that spare room to see the cities if you are serious. I think next spring-ish we will also be planning a camping trip to bring the monster with.
Ryan and I's first conversation about Colorado actually included "and then we can meet Mu!" courtesy of Ryan, lol.

Is there a VW dealership in Colorado Springs? One of the main reasons we are looking more at Denver/burbs is because Ryan works as an automotive technition, which generally means the more cars come in, the more he gets paid. So we are trying to focus on bigger cities for that reason.

Tim has tried to convince me to move to Colorado forever. We even did a trip out there a couple of years ago. I don't think I could because of the lack of deciduous trees. Yup, I'm really that picky. I want woods, I want trees (not pine trees). Tim has a few friends that live out there who actually moved there from Minnesota, they seem to enjoy it.
I don't *think* lack of trees would bother me, but I've never really lived without lush greeness. Though Minnesota has nothing on Pennsylvania for woods, after all the state is called Penns Woods :p

The Denver breed ban is hideous. Otherwise is gorgeous in parts and boing(see: like Nevada & Oregon) in others.

Move to Oregon, come on, we have a coast line.
When Ryan and I started talking about moving my votes went to Colorado, Washington, Oregon, or Maine. I have always always ALWAYS wanted to live in either Maine or Alaska. Always. Mainly because I love the idea of colder climates and the sea.
Like this type of setting is just idyllic to me:

Rocky, cold coastlines to walk on the beach. Perfection!
Also the state parks and the green mossyness that I see in pictures of Oregon makes me want to go there. Like this:

Gah!
I'm just not sure how much of that is really what is out there and reasonable to visit on a regular basis, or if that's the best there is and only makes up 2% of the state.
Also the whole big cities type thing.

The wind can get nasty sometimes, mostly in the spring, but it's not a constant thing. You just sort of get used to it and learn to carry a brush in your purse.

The Denver Co. BSL sucks balls, but Denver Co. is actually really itty bitty. Most of the bigger, surrounding counties are pretty lax on dogs.

I like living around the Denver metro area (i am so not suited to living in the actual city) because you're smack dab in the middle of the state. It's equidistance to Fort Collins and CoSpgs. Less than an hour to the huge peaks in the central range. Tons of stuff going on all the time. Public transportation!
I'm not worried about wind. lol
Ternaders are really what scare me!

I don't have a ton to add, but be prepared for the tornado drills. My friend recently moved here from Florida, and for three months, she thought she was going insane and hearing things when they sounded. Eventually, one interrupted our conversation and I said something like "God, I hate those drills." She was like, "YOU CAN HEAR IT TOO?!" :rofl1:
I swear I live in tornado freaking central! It is the WORST part about this state, and I've come to have a serious issue with panicking whenever the alarms go off.

Colorado is a great place to live. It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter- and majorly dog friendly. It doesn't get super windy like NM, I grew up in NM and it is similarly dry but not as windy or hot.

Negatives- expensive. Not super easy to find jobs.

Positive- everything else. It is gorgeous, the air is clean (other than the occasional fire, lol!), and there is a lot to do. It has a fantastic music scene and some great museums. I would definitely recommend the Botanical Gardens and the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.

Any other questions? I know this state like the back of my hand ;)
I believe the cost of living between Minneapolis (where we are now) and Denver are pretty similar. I'm more worried about finding somewhere to live with Frodo.

I know the city is very dog friendly, but how about finding places to live with a 30# dog?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Small dogs are pretty easy to rent with, regardless of where.

Lots of VW dealerships; there's one just down the street from my dealership that does pretty well.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Almost every apartment building I've looked at allows 2-3 dogs, and there are a lot of options in the rental home department- it just depends on the budget. I have found a few places in the 700-900 range that have fenced yards... but having even $700 for me is... iffy. LOL!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Im pretty sure Denver used to win "friendliest dog city" alternating with Portland before the breed ban, its supposedly a great place for dogs if they don't resemble a pit bull.

Taqroy

Snow and cold don't bother me, I live in Minnesota.
Ice doesn't bother me, I lived in Pennsylvania :p
I figured that wouldn't bug you based on what I know of Minnesota lol.

One thing I NEVER expected about Minnesota was for it to be so.****.hot. in the summer. Like seriously, you walk outside and just start sweating from the humidity and heat. It's terrible. I hate summer in every state I've ever lived in, so I guess I can't let that bother me either.
So one of the best/worst things about CO? Super low humidity. It's awesome in the summer but rather sucks in the winter when it's ridiculously dry. Buying stock in a lotion/chapstick company is probably something to look into. Also, not dealing with humidity ever will make you completely intolerant of it when you go on vacation. I spend the first two days of every trip going "IT'S SO MUGGY, I FEEL DAMP AND THAT'S WEIRD." And then the rest of it rejoicing that I don't have to put lotion on.

And I will so take you up on that spare room to see the cities if you are serious. I think next spring-ish we will also be planning a camping trip to bring the monster with.
Ryan and I's first conversation about Colorado actually included "and then we can meet Mu!" courtesy of Ryan, lol.
Super serious! It would be awesome if you guys came here. Mu would be delighted to either ignore you or thoroughly clean your ears for you. :p If you bring Frodo (EEEEEEEEE!) it's really easy to separate dogs in our house. Tri level house + backyard + crates + bully sticks ftw.

Is there a VW dealership in Colorado Springs? One of the main reasons we are looking more at Denver/burbs is because Ryan works as an automotive technition, which generally means the more cars come in, the more he gets paid. So we are trying to focus on bigger cities for that reason.
It appears there are two VW dealerships here - one on the south side and one up north. There are five in Denver though so that might be a better option. :(

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Almost every apartment building I've looked at allows 2-3 dogs, and there are a lot of options in the rental home department- it just depends on the budget. I have found a few places in the 700-900 range that have fenced yards... but having even $700 for me is... iffy. LOL!
We pay in that range right now for our 1 bedroom apartment.
We also don't want to live right smack dab in Denver. Right now we live about half an hour south of Minneapolis, and it's a perfect setup for us.

I figured that wouldn't bug you based on what I know of Minnesota lol.

So one of the best/worst things about CO? Super low humidity. It's awesome in the summer but rather sucks in the winter when it's ridiculously dry. Buying stock in a lotion/chapstick company is probably something to look into. Also, not dealing with humidity ever will make you completely intolerant of it when you go on vacation. I spend the first two days of every trip going "IT'S SO MUGGY, I FEEL DAMP AND THAT'S WEIRD." And then the rest of it rejoicing that I don't have to put lotion on.

Super serious! It would be awesome if you guys came here. Mu would be delighted to either ignore you or thoroughly clean your ears for you. :p If you bring Frodo (EEEEEEEEE!) it's really easy to separate dogs in our house. Tri level house + backyard + crates + bully sticks ftw.

It appears there are two VW dealerships here - one on the south side and one up north. There are five in Denver though so that might be a better option. :(
Ugh, the winters here are also bone dry. Like, take a bath in lotion multiple times per day kind of dry. The first winter I was here it was terrible! Pennsylvania never got this kind of dry. I was in so much pain! Anywhere that clothes touched my skin was just torturous. I love the winter here, except for that.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The expense is one thing keeping me back. Oklahoma is super cheap.

The tornado thing is making me seriously LOL though. Tornados would never have crossed my mind (then again... Oklahoma.)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I dealt with more warnings and saw more funnels the first summer I was here than I did in the last 10 years I lived in Kansas, LOL. But nothing ever came of them besides some awesome clouds.

Stay out of downtown and any dog is fine. Rent will be cheaper in parts of Centennial, Englewood, Littleton, Aurora and then up northish; Arvada, Broomfield, Wheat Ridge, Thornton. It just takes some looking. Depending on how much of a commute you're ok with, Castle Rock is a good place to look as well.

It is super dry here; drink 18x the amount of water you're used to drinking, lol. I acclimated pretty quickly, which surprised me, though I do appreciate humidity when I head back east.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Definitely agree with the dry comments. I personally love that- I HATE humidity- but be warned- it will suck you dry and you will only gradually get used to it. I think some of the best lotion is Nutrogena Swiss Formula or Udder Cream... but the Nutrogena is like nuclear weaponry for dry skin so I use it when it is particularly dry in the winter. Chap stick is a must. LOL!

You should check out Colorado Springs, they have cheaper living than the Denver Metro area. If you want to stay closer to Denver, Castle Rock is a nice place to live. Aurora is really cheap, but some parts are pretty sketchy.

FG167

Okay, I'm gonna be the oddball out of those who live in Colorado, as I don't really care for it.

I love love love the mountains. Love them. If I could live in the mountains, I would probably live here forever.

I grew up in Michigan. Hubby and I decided to try ourselves out here just for the heck of it. We've been here about 8 months. We decided to move back in May. Haha.

I do love all the places to take the dogs to hike. And it is quite dog friendly here.

I live in Fort Collins, and I actually quite like it. You are about a 10 minute drive into the mountains. It is a little more rural as well. It is a college town, though. Close proximity to CSU, though that can have it's upsides if you have animals, as they are well known for their veterinary programs. A lot of the vets here work with the college. Also, you are about 20 minutes away from my favorite place ever in CO, which is Eagle's Nest. There is also a super nice hiking/biking trail, and a super secret kind of private dog park thing that is way fun.
We looked very seriously at moving to CO. I had been wanting to since I graduated college. I went to visit and decided that it wasn't for me. I LOVED the mountains as well and the dog friendly and we stayed in Fort Collins and loved the city. BUT, I also grew up in MI, 15 minutes from Lake Michigan in fact and the complete lack of water to take my dogs swimming (without a long drive) changed my mind. I thrive on mountains AND water (and trees). So, we moved to TN and so far are LOVING IT.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
We looked very seriously at moving to CO. I had been wanting to since I graduated college. I went to visit and decided that it wasn't for me. I LOVED the mountains as well and the dog friendly and we stayed in Fort Collins and loved the city. BUT, I also grew up in MI, 15 minutes from Lake Michigan in fact and the complete lack of water to take my dogs swimming (without a long drive) changed my mind. I thrive on mountains AND water (and trees). So, we moved to TN and so far are LOVING IT.
We looked at TN, NC, and WV before we moved here to CO. The biggest draw to CO was we had friends that moved here 5 years ago. CO, is just... weird. Great place to visit. Not the place for us to live. I could see us in Wyoming or Montana though. I've considered moving to TN or NC eventually still. :) I love it down south. However, I also love Michigan. I just don't like the snow. Haha.

Taqroy

I'm reviving this thread because I thought of it when I took these pictures. :p

IMG_8288 by taqroy, on Flickr

IMG_8248 by taqroy, on Flickr

These (and the others) were worth every moment of soreness I've had from being on a 4 wheeler all day yesterday. Lol.

Members online

No members online now.