Suwannee Springs adventure

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
We decided to go on a little adventure today and ended up at Suwannee Springs, which is a very historical part of my town and very fun to visit! Here is some background on what exactly Suwannee Springs is:

The history of Suwannee Springs goes back quite a ways, but in the mid- to late-1800s it was a popular notion that sulfur and mineral springs had unique healing qualities. It became popular for resorts and sanitariums to be constructed on or next to these springs. Often times the water was also bottled and sold. Suwannee Springs, thus, became a popular destination for tourists to the area. The water from the spring was also bottled and sold and was available for sale by druggists. A wall was constructed out of local limestone around the spring in the mid-to late-1800s. A hotel and approximately 18 private cottages were eventually also constructed at the site. It is important to note that the site passed through many owners’ hands and that several hotels were constructed at various times throughout its history. In all, three hotels were built at the site. Unfortunately, the reason so many hotels were constructed is because there were multiple structural fires that destroyed some of these buildings. The last hotel burned down in 1925 and up until sometime in the 1970s visitors would spend their summers in one of the private cottages near the spring
This is what it USED to look like... back in the day :p Not taken by me, obviously. LOL

This is what it looks like today. The river is EXTREMELY low, so that means the Springs are extremely low as well... we haven't had rain, hurricanes, etc., so they've really suffered.

To show you how low it is... the river usually flows through this right here.

Harleigh making her way down the stairs

We then went on a short uphill hike to climb on the old historic bridge. It has tons of graffiti on it and I found one I liked :p

We walked down to the river and Harleigh decided it was the perfect day for a swim! That water was cold too.

Creeeepy

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
This is what I have to deal with. She was trying to push me over... she also attempted this while I was in the water.

Back for some more swimming..

Sometimes she's cute!

Modeling on a rock... aka trying to channel her inner Traveler ;)

Last one!

That is one cool place!! And the pictures were really really just have a neat feet to them. You're getting really good with that 50!

And Harleigh is my love, she looks like she had a blast.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I love this set! I think I already liked a few on FB, too. Haha!

Funny little tid bit, there is always a sheepdog trial in Suwannee each spring, I believe. Thought about going a few times!

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Great pictures! It looks like a really cool place to explore.

And whoa- the water is crazy low! :yikes:
It is a really neat place... though I do prefer when the river and springs aren't so low!

There wasn't as much hiking there as I like (which I knew beforehand that there wasn't), but it is nice for a relaxing day.

That is one cool place!! And the pictures were really really just have a neat feet to them. You're getting really good with that 50!

And Harleigh is my love, she looks like she had a blast.
She definitely had a blast! Honestly, I think everything is the best thing ever for her. She was whining and trying to jump out of the car before she even knew were we were :rolleyes: Such a dork.

I really enjoy this lens! I've still got some learning to do, but its been on my camera since I got it. LOL

I love this set! I think I already liked a few on FB, too. Haha!

Funny little tid bit, there is always a sheepdog trial in Suwannee each spring, I believe. Thought about going a few times!
Thanks!

And really? That is so cool! If you ever do make it down here to it, you should definitely let me know ;) Suwannee County isn't very big, so I'm sure it isn't far from me. Lol

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I love her :D

And you can have some of our rain. It rained torrentially ALL DAY. Our front yard was a lake, and under the bridge down the street was under water.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
I love her :D

And you can have some of our rain. It rained torrentially ALL DAY. Our front yard was a lake, and under the bridge down the street was under water.
I can loan her out to you on the bad days :p Yes, please send the rain down here! Its pretty sad how low our river is... but hopefully we'll get a good downpour soon!

Oh - I wanted to ask you. How far are you from Waycross, GA? I'm taking Harleigh to a dock diving event in Jacksonville, but I'm also toying with the idea of going to the Waycross event as well.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
"Sometimes she's cute"? No Harleigh is always cute!

We are very very jealous that your water is not rimmed in ice!

Members online

No members online now.